MD Anderson Mid Campus 1 Building At 7007 Bertner Ave.

• 1 month later...

It looks much more curvy than the last rendering.

The last rendering also looks like it was made by some bozo using Sketchup.

On 10/3/2009 at 3:01 PM, UrbaNerd said:

The "last rendering" was simply a rendering of the other side of the building. Same building, same design, same quality of rendering, just a different viewpoint.

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

You ever think this "bozo" might browse these boards and see this rude comment? I don't recall any bozos working on that team when I was there. Some of the nicest and most talented people I've had the opportunity to work with.

FYI, earlier models were modeled in SketchUp mostly for non-presentation/design purposes, not sure about these later ones, but I'd assume they were just modified versions of the original. That model pushed SketchUp to the max and was an incredibly powerful tool in the design process. I'm not sure what rendering program was used, that part was outsourced.

• Like 4

Not to get too far off topic, and maybe this deserves it's own thread. But TMC seems to get be getting pretty decent designs these days. Would yall rather see downtown fill up quicker with shorter but nicer buildings like these or slower with taller towers? I have to say, downtown filled with these with the occassional high-rise would be hard to turn down if I was mayor of Sim Houston.

MDACC%20ASB%20reduced%20size.JPG

Not to get too far off topic, and maybe this deserves it's own thread. But TMC seems to get be getting pretty decent designs these days. Would yall rather see downtown fill up quicker with shorter but nicer buildings like these or slower with taller towers? I have to say, downtown filled with these with the occassional high-rise would be hard to turn down if I was mayor of Sim Houston.

I would prefer to keep downtown developing with taller towers. Although both MP and DT have their critics, I think that we can all agree that they are an encouraging trend for downtown which will hopefully continue when the economy recovers.

Leave these shorter buildings in TMC and hope the trend will continue to spread into the other business districts around the city.

Personally, I would like a mix. Our downtown is overall pretty tall and there is a drastic drop in height from downtown and the immediate surrounding areas. I think downtown would look better with some "midrises" with the occasional +500 ft tower sprinkled in between.

I took a snapshot of the construction as I was crossing the street today.

img1446o.jpg

Thanks for the shot. TMC definitely is going towards some interesting looking buildings, I love the curves on this one.

• Like 1

I would prefer to keep downtown developing with taller towers. Although both MP and DT have their critics, I think that we can all agree that they are an encouraging trend for downtown which will hopefully continue when the economy recovers.

Leave these shorter buildings in TMC and hope the trend will continue to spread into the other business districts around the city.

Discovery Tower is 29 stories. This MD Anderson building is 25 stories. "These buildings" aren't much shorter than DT, not to mention that HP is 2-3 stories tall with an 11 story tall office tower. Also, evidently, this building had the second largest mat pour in US History (maybe someone can explain to me why that would be).

I mean, in the last 20 years (1990), how many buildings have been built in downtown that are significantly taller than Hermann Professional building (30), the new Methodist tower (25), MDACC's addition to Alkek (21), this building (25)? Just Enron? Now MP? Let's face it, downtown isn't exactly sprouting supertalls... 25 story infill would be great downtown, but there's no demand.

• Like 1

Discovery Tower is 29 stories. This MD Anderson building is 25 stories. "These buildings" aren't much shorter than DT, not to mention that HP is 2-3 stories tall with an 11 story tall office tower. Also, evidently, this building had the second largest mat pour in US History (maybe someone can explain to me why that would be).

I mean, in the last 20 years (1990), how many buildings have been built in downtown that are significantly taller than Hermann Professional building (30), the new Methodist tower (25), MDACC's addition to Alkek (21), this building (25)? Just Enron? Now MP? Let's face it, downtown isn't exactly sprouting supertalls... 25 story infill would be great downtown, but there's no demand.

Yes, not all the buildings downtown are 50 plus, but there are quite a few. Way more than anywhere else.

I wonder if midrises (20-30) would start sprouting up all over if there was a height limit imposed?

Also, evidently, this building had the second largest mat pour in US History (maybe someone can explain to me why that would be).

The building has a pretty huge footprint, to say the least. I can attest to that since I saw the site a couple of times during the excavation process.

For the sake of comparison, this structure compared with taller, but more compact sites.

Hess Tower: 7,500 Cubic Yards poured

MainPlace: 12,000 Cubic Yards poured

MD Anderson ASB: 21,500 Cubic Yards poured

Also, here's a distant photo I took a couple of days ago from the Chase Tower.

MDAndersonASB11209.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I've noticed that the building name sign is no longer up. I'm thinking they took it down because it is such a pretentious looking building that will house only administrative support people. Kinda flashy!

The renderings come off as very Sim, but the built material will pastel into it's landscape. It has a suburban office complex identity, the labeling wouldn't change people's perceptions much. And it certainly doesn't look much like a hospital, although the lines of functional programming are constantly being blurred. I personally like the triptych staggered bar style in plan, it reminds me of other big oil corporate campuses in the satellite cities of Sugar Land or the Woodlands.

Thanks for the shot. TMC definitely is going towards some interesting looking buildings, I love the curves on this one.

I think its just me, but imo, TMC is getting some repetitive designs....I mean how many recent building have some brown/blue mix in them? There are many examples of this style, especially the new tall one(forgot the name), and Texas Children's Hospital, and a bunch of other ones, as well. We haven't gotten any real glass buildings in TMC like St. Lukes, etc.

Sorry, that i didnt clearly express my opinion, but ive seen all these designs before, just one is a little taller, ones a little shorter, one has more glass, one curves, one has a spire with it, but it all boils down to that glass and stone mix thats become a little too fond.

But, thats my only complaint, at least TMC is still building.

1-10.jpg

2-10.jpg

3-6.jpg

• Like 2