MD Anderson Mid Campus 1 Building At 7007 Bertner Ave.

So has this project already started? If not, when is the estimated construction start date? All I can see from the photo is some fences...

As posted above:

"The environmental permit mentions an August '08 start date with construction ending in December 2012."

4 yrs...Seems kinda slow for a TMC project. Most things are done in less than 2 yrs. It is a massive structure though, and there are probably other issues regarding the construction.

Yeah and if it actually did start back in August, I think we would see more than some fences. But what do I know about construction?

Lol yeah. Of course, you probably know something about Houston's infamous "soil testing" issues...

Yeah and if it actually did start back in August, I think we would see more than some fences. But what do I know about construction?

It's kinda hard to see since the photo is small, but at the center of the photo there is a rather deep excavation site with the perimiter walls already shored up with the piles already driven.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
So has this project already started? If not, when is the estimated construction start date? All I can see from the photo is some fences...

Yes, construction has started. Here's a pic from December. Theres two cranes in the pic as well that are most likely for the tower.

3174702695_b6a72fb983_o.jpg

From Photolitherland on www.skyscraperpage.com

Edited by UpuPUp!
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
Wow. Only last week they were announcing the possibility of layoffs at UTMDACC. I wonder how many people will get the boot so they can pay for this monster.

Well, its not like they can just stop buiding the thing. - am sure everything has been taken care of long before UTMD started having issues.

Additionally, once this thing is completed, it will be a money maker.

Think of it as a capital improvement.

• Like 1

This thing is going to be huge and will really extend the Texas Medical Center skyline to the South. This is South of Main across Brays Bayou from the rest of the cluster of buildings. As of this morning, it appears to be on floor #6. Also, Baylor's Hospital is starting to get covered with the reflective glass. It's going to be a lot nicer than their professional office building (boring box).

• Like 1

Is that the Baylor hospital that they were supposed to be putting on hold?

Does anybody know the address or cross street of the MD Anderson construction? What I see from my office looks like it might be Braeswood and Wyndale-ish area (it's a bit hard to tell and I can only see part of the crane).

• Like 1

Baylor will continue to finish the exterior of the hospital but they wont build out the interior spaces. I am betting they are waiting on what will happen with Rice U. If they do indeed merge, look for Rice to try and flip the property. It could easily become a nice research facility since it's so close to the South Campus.

• Like 1

Baylor will continue to finish the exterior of the hospital but they wont build out the interior spaces. I am betting they are waiting on what will happen with Rice U. If they do indeed merge, look for Rice to try and flip the property. It could easily become a nice research facility since it's so close to the South Campus.

Research facilities (laboratories) have a fundamentally different layout and infrastructure to hospitals (patient rooms, theatres). If the interior build out has gone beyond a certain point it may cost more to reconfigure than to just tear it down and start over. This being H-town, there's even more reason to think that would happen.

• Like 1

Is that the Baylor hospital that they were supposed to be putting on hold?

Does anybody know the address or cross street of the MD Anderson construction? What I see from my office looks like it might be Braeswood and Wyndale-ish area (it's a bit hard to tell and I can only see part of the crane).

I remember looking this up recently. If I remember correctly, it's the same street that runs alongside the "Pru", but on the other side of the bayou.

Edit: Nope. I was thinking Bertner, but Bertner changes to Cecil South of Braeswood. It looks like it will be east of Selma, between Ave. G, where that parking lot is (was).

Edited by rsb320
  • Like 1

Research facilities (laboratories) have a fundamentally different layout and infrastructure to hospitals (patient rooms, theatres). If the interior build out has gone beyond a certain point it may cost more to reconfigure than to just tear it down and start over. This being H-town, there's even more reason to think that would happen.

From what I can see from my patio, they haven't done anything to the interior other than put up the load bearing walls. Also, from what I remember reading, it's pretty much just being built now as shell space that anyone can come in and fix to their liking later.

I'd have to imagine that there might be some interested parties in that property whether it be a VA Expansion (it's right across Cambridge St), a research arm of UT Health Science Center, or even just professional office space ala the gay pride building that just went up at Holcombe (has anyone else seen the night time rainbow lights?).

• Like 1

From what I can see from my patio, they haven't done anything to the interior other than put up the load bearing walls. Also, from what I remember reading, it's pretty much just being built now as shell space that anyone can come in and fix to their liking later.

I'd have to imagine that there might be some interested parties in that property whether it be a VA Expansion (it's right across Cambridge St), a research arm of UT Health Science Center, or even just professional office space ala the gay pride building that just went up at Holcombe (has anyone else seen the night time rainbow lights?).

Are you referring to the new Life Science center by Kirksey?

You mean this Memorial Hermann building? I wish the lights would just slowly change through all of those colors, but it's been pretty crazy looking every time I've seen it.

hermann2T.jpg

I just noticed that this building was also by Kirksey.

Edited by AstrosFreak

I think the Hermann building + lights is really cool, personally... and not "gay" in any way.

There's a rumor that St. Luke's might be interested in the Baylor hospital, but there are all sorts of issues that may make it impossible. There's no way the VA would expand, especially into a facility that size.

Wow. Only last week they were announcing the possibility of layoffs at UTMDACC. I wonder how many people will get the boot so they can pay for this monster.

Both Anderson and UTMB got to be made part of the Permanent University Fund, which lately has declined as steeply as any other chunk of equity. The promises being made to bring UTMB back from the dead would probably be better spent on keeping other units' budgets out of predicaments as far as possible.

The one use I have yet to hear suggested for the Astrodome is to become a giant field of medical administrator cubicles. It really begs for illustration and publicity, but let's leave it at imagination.

Jax is right. I am not talking about the Memorial Hermann Tower.

I am talking about Kirksey's new project that just opened at 2130 (?) Holcombe Blvd. It houses a garage and LA Fitness on the bottom floors and office space above. At night, there are what I will call light sticks (since I don't know the technical term) that adorn the side of the building. They are all different colors and appear to be the colors of the rainbow. I actually like them but the first thing that crossed my mind was some float in the nighttime gay pride parade!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

just skimmed through the thread, but i can see the title says 20+ stories,

do we know how high this will end up?

apologize in advance if its been posted before.

It's 25 floors on the tall half, 20 or so on the short half if I remember correctly. I worked on it through SD phase at WHR. Not sure if that changed any since I left, the rendering looks about the same. I believe there should also be a 12-13 floor parking garage going in next to it eventually. The Revit file setup for this monster was fun. Over a dozen files for one building.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...