Houston radio station on iPhone/iTouch

After pulling out of another streaming radio application, Clear Channel has put together its own streamer called I Heart Radio. It's free from the iTunes store.

I Heart Radio has 740 KTRH on it, so now you can listen when you're not near an AM radio.

I'm not sure why the other Houston Clear Channel stations aren't on it (KBME, KHMX-FM, KKRW-FM, KLOL-FM, KODA-FM, KPRC, and KTBZ-FM). I guess it's possible they could be added, but that seems unlikely since they're all for sale. But that doesn't explain why KTRH is on the iPhone app, since it's for sale, too.

AOL Radio still has its deal with CBS Radio going strong. That means you can use the free AOL Radio app to listen to these Houston stations:

KILT (100.3)

KKHH (Hot 95.7)

KHJZ-HD2 (actually KODA 99.1's HD2)

KILT (Sports 610)

KIKK (CNN 650)

I like the AOL Radio application better. It lets you set favorite stations, lets you browse by city, and pick from a list of recently listened to stations. Most importantly, it requires a lot less bandwidth than Clear Channel's I Heart Radio, so it even works really well over EDGE connections.

Does anyone else stream Houston radio stations via iPhone or other means?

After playing with both apps a fair amount yesterday, I'd say the AOL Radio one wins. Some of the CC "stations" aren't even streams of the regular stations, but internet-only feeds branded to seem like a broadcast station.

Oh, and my vote for best stream: Live 105 Classic (KITS-HD2/San Francisco)

Archived