Looking for a house

Chris51

Not sure if I am posting in the correct spot. We are moving to Houston, job related, husband already in apartment. I have made 3 trips to look over the area for a new home within a 30 minute or less commute from Rosenberg. I (we) have looked at lots of houses, old and new. Last trip spent 2 days looking at new in 3 different planned developments and 2 days of looking at resale, we can now walk into a home and know the floorplan. and we see the same tile, light fixtures, trim, cabinets, everywhere, no matter what the plan or who the builder is, they all look alike to us. Bear in mind we come from the midwest and live in an early 20th century Georgian colonial. I understand my culture shock but is there any alternative. Or should I just go with the flow and appreciate the fact that these new houses have insulation. If you can recommend neighborhoods, streets, communities, areas, I would really appreciate it. I would rather not go farther west of Rosenberg as I have a Whole Foods addiction. Can't wait to find a home in Texas. Oh, and I love the idea that I can have a pool and my husband can play golf more often.

If you have +$275,000 I would look into the neighborhoods along Sweetwater in Sugarland. However, the Whole Foods is centrally located to Sugarland so there will be alot to choose from. Telfair is the newest master planned community and it is pretty nice but more expensive than the surrounding area. You shouldn't have a hard time trying to find a house within 30 minutes of Rosenberg.

If you have +$275,000 I would look into the neighborhoods along Sweetwater in Sugarland. However, the Whole Foods is centrally located to Sugarland so there will be alot to choose from. Telfair is the newest master planned community and it is pretty nice but more expensive than the surrounding area. You shouldn't have a hard time trying to find a house within 30 minutes of Rosenberg.

Thanks, I know there are lots of houses, new and resale out there, my question is, where do I look that the floorplans are not all the same. Even some of the older 1990's in Greatwood, have the almost identical floorplan to the new ones in Telfair. I know you can choose different elevations, and interior features like tile, wood, etc. but that barely changes the look. Even though Telfair has what 13 builders I felt that all the plans were very similar. Are there certain areas that have more variety? Help please.

Older neighborhoods here in town have plenty of variety. Check out 77006, 77008, 77007, 77009, 77019, 77023, 77061, 77018, and 77004. Those ZIP codes, with few exceptions, have both good and bad spots.

You're likely not going to find a lot of variety in a subdivision way out there in suburbia.

Older neighborhoods here in town have plenty of variety. Check out 77006, 77008, 77007, 77009, 77019, 77023, 77061, 77018, and 77004. Those ZIP codes, with few exceptions, have both good and bad spots.

You're likely not going to find a lot of variety in a subdivision way out there in suburbia.

Is there a zip code map so I can figure out location?

Agree with that last thought. For what you seem to be looking for you're wasting your time in Master Planned Communities. Might try some older neighborhoods in Richmond, Sugar Land, possibly even First Colony. The zips mentioned above however are going to be more than 20 minutes from Rosenberg.

You might try the small town of Meadows or Meadows Place or whatever it's called now (they've changed names). I looked at some very nice places down there in the 80s that dated from the 60s and 70s I think. I don't know how they've held up.

Your husband would be going against traffic and with the sun at his back both morning and evening (assuming he works regular daytime shift).

Archived