MacGregor Park At 5225 Calhoun Rd.

Guest danax

Guest danax

I heard about this on the radio driving into work this morning but am unable to find any press on it. Texas Parks or some organization is going to match $500K that City of Houston will provide in order to upgrade this 110 acre park on the banks of the Brays Bayou. Tree plantings, jogging trails etc.

This is great but I'm wondering if this is part of a plan, along with the Southeast Metrorail line which will run nearby, to further encourage development from factions outside that area or just a gesture to the community that already exists there. That area is generally depressed ecomically and could be a tax-base boost to the City if the Med Center and private developers move in.

There are some high dollar homes near by that help the tax base.

They should figure out a way to connect the park with the bayou, again.

That fence is an eyesore.

The family who donated the land across the street was trying to it back from the city. The city promised to make it into a park but never did.

What ever happened with that?

• 2 years later...

How did the city of Houston lose the eastern half of MacGregor Park, or did they ever own it?

The entire east side of the park from MLK(South Park)Blvd to the new JB Coleman freeway is up for sale.A huge 50 acres of undeveloped land at the edge of Riverside Terrace and across the bayou from the U of H central campus.

This happened several years ago, and I'm a little fuzzy on the details, but I think the basic story was this:

The city did not develop this part of the park for its intended purpose. A clause in the original contract allowed ownership of the land to revert back to the donors, or their heirs, if the city did not develop it. The heirs of the donors were mad that the undeveloped land was not being used to benefit the city, so they attempted to regain ownership of it. It appears that the heirs now own the land, and are selling it.

This happened several years ago, and I'm a little fuzzy on the details, but I think the basic story was this:

The city did not develop this part of the park for its intended purpose. A clause in the original contract allowed ownership of the land to revert back to the donors, or their heirs, if the city did not develop it. The heirs of the donors were mad that the undeveloped land was not being used to benefit the city, so they attempted to regain ownership of it. It appears that the heirs now own the land, and are selling it.

i think dan's recollection is definitely in the right direction.

As I recall, it had to do with public access, not necessarily development of the park. I think the MacGregor family said that the land was given to the city on the condition that it be open to the public...but the city put locked gates on the only driveways into the parcel in question (between MLK and the bayou).

I too noticed the "for sale" signs on the property a few weeks ago, and thought it was pretty interesting.

This dispute came up several years ago, as I recall. Obviously someone was VERY forward-thinking back then, since that corridor down MLK from Wheeler will be served by light rail in a couple years.

It's a very beautiful piece of property...a very scenic area, with MacGregor Park right across the street.

I hope it's not junked up with the typical McDonald's, Jack-in-the-Box, dry cleaners, income tax prep and cell phone store strip development.

This is another view of Houston most rarely ever see. When we were kids we used to cross (under 45) to get to the swimming pool the U of H had open to the public. We only did this a few times as the area was getting quite bad. Once that new Spur? came through it has just changed all. Was bound to happen.

Across the street on OST/MLK.

There was or still is an open shopping area that looked like Highland Village there just not that large. Not sure if it ever had a name?, but my big brother and I would go to a Hot Rod store that was there. These were the days Cherry bombs (shop car talk) and high jack suspension made your ride look cool. There was also an Exxon gas station and across the street the Lenox Barbecue "catering" building. Most people thought the Harrisburg local was the only one.

Now, the homes starting at this intersection all the way down OST heading WEST are one of a kind. Sadly, many have fallen under disrepair, etc. Im straying but again this little area where Macgregor sits was very very cool in its day. Should get more attention. :)

• 4 weeks later...

University of Houston nows wants to purchase this and put a huge student housing village and more classrooms. If they get it I hope it will look better than the other projects they have built. It would have been better if someone built a mixed housing project consisting of townhomes and single family in an affordable price range, while conserving all those beautiful trees.

University of Houston nows wants to purchase this and put a huge student housing village and more classrooms. If they get it I hope it will look better than the other projects they have built. It would have been better if someone built a mixed housing project consisting of townhomes and single family in an affordable price range, while conserving all those beautiful trees.

the density of the trees is quite thick there. i see most disappearing.

There were stories (or rumors) that Spur 5 is it? was to continue all the way into and across MLK Blvd and eventually connect to 610 around where the old King Center Drive-In Theater used to be.

Wonder what became of that discussion?

It would alleviate heavy taffic jams out of DT in the evenings. Autos would avoid the Gulfgate area altogether.

Pipe dreams I guess?

Maybe articles in Chron? too lazy to search.... B)

• The title was changed to MacGregor Park For Sale
  • The title was changed to McGregor Park At 5225 Calhoun Rd.
  • 1 year later...

"Houston City Council on Wednesday voted to approve a monumental proposal for a $54-million renovation of MacGregor Park. The project is led by a $27-million gift from the Kinder Foundation, part of an ongoing effort by Rich and Nancy Kinder to create and nurture urban green space in the city.

Work on the park is expected to begin in 2025 and be completed in about five years."

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/article/macgregor-park-renovation-hip-hop-houston-tennis-18547853.php

22a21dV.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

• The title was changed to MacGregor Park At 5225 Calhoun Rd.
  • 2 weeks later...

This is great news for our neighborhood and a much needed revitalization of a historic Houston park. I was beginning to think that this was getting shelved since we first heard about the meter plan in 2021. I applaud the Kinder Foundation for their continued support in making Houston a much more livable city.

I also want to remind Bike riders who frequent the Brays trail to keep a look out for the pair of Bald Eagles who nest in Parkwood and can be seen high up in the pine trees close to Rio Vista street on the south side of the bayou where the corten steel pedestrian bridge crosses Brays Bayou just west of Scott. It's an amazing sight and pretty special to have a pair of Bald Eagles living in broad daylight inside the loop on s. Macgregor.

• Like 6

The park is in disrepair and needs a lot of loving care. It's been neglected for a long time. It was originally donated to the city of Houston in the 1930's. It actually went across MLK where U of Houston now has a med school. U of Houston eventually bought the land on the east side of MLK. At the time of its dedication to the city, land along Brays Bayou to Scott was donated by MacGregor's wife for additional natural greenspace. The plan was to connect Hermann Park and MacGregor park with a natural park like string of pearls. This is when Riverside Terrace,  west of MacGregor park was starting to be developed along Brays Bayou It started closer to Almeda before 288 was built on the North side and worked its way down to Calhoun. This was to become the River Oaks for the Jewish community who had been banned from River Oaks. Families like the Weingartens, the Sakowitz, the Fingers, and Battlesteins to name a few. Our home was built in 1949. So originally this was a Jewish neighborhood until the mid 60's. So I don't fully understand the complete cultural bias since she fails to remember that it wasn't always a black neighborhood. I fully appreciate her concern for removing the things that brought joy and history to her memories in the park, but to neglect to remember that this has had at least two different chapters of its story, is not fair either. Regardless and in reading about the plans it sounds to me like they will be improving the area around the MLK Statue and creating a plaza. They will be renovating the original gymnasium and swimming pool. They will be improving the children's playground which is in disrepair, and they will be improving the perimeter trail and connecting it to the Brays bayou hike and bike trail. They will also be adding an amphitheater near the bayou for concerts, and improving the tennis facilities. So I really don't understand her fears. Unfortunately what this doesn't address are the people who come over on Sunday afternoons into the evenings and drive through the grassy areas and dig trenches in the grounds or people who dump their unwanted belongings in the trash dumpsters in the park. So along with these improvements, what really needs to happen is for people to be a little more respectful for this cherished park and treat it with respect. It has nothing to do with gentrification. The area across OST has been rundown vacant lots, poorly kept business fronts or empty buildings. There are four small scale townhouse projects built on OST and thats it. Everything else is the same as its been for the last ten years. Start turning some dirt!

• Like 3

People party in the parking area leaving their trash everywhere including broken beer bottles and doing doughnuts in the parking area. I've ridden through here often on my bike dodging the broke glass, used fireworks. Hopefully they add speed bumps in the parking area.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

That's not completely true. I've watched a competition marching band that rehearses over there, and they're quite entertaining. It is for the most part reserved for TSU. I don't think that will change for years. TSU doesn't have that much room on campus to build a football field or a baseball diamond. I think they play their football games at the Dynamo stadium. At least they did for a while. I worry about bad golfers when I drive through Hermann Park and windshields sometimes. Maybe they plan to put up some kind of netting to keep foul balls off the street.

• 2 weeks later...

TSU will be gone - Astros gave them seed money for a stadium and the land has been secured - just a matter of time 

politics cost macgregor park the Astros youth academy which would've been the ideal location - 

• Like 1