Lakes On Eldridge

Expat wife

Somebody has suggested to us, that if we are interested in sending our 4 year old to the British School of Houston, then the Lakes on Eldridge would be a good choice for a home. I believe it is a gated community with a lot of British families. Does anybody have any opinons of this area?

Somebody has suggested to us, that if we are interested in sending our 4 year old to the British School of Houston, then the Lakes on Eldridge would be a good choice for a home. I believe it is a gated community with a lot of British families. Does anybody have any opinons of this area?

I know several people that live out there. Its a nicely kept area about 5-10 yrs old, great for families, and alot of expats due to proximity to the Energy Companies on the west side of town. Go to www.har.com and you can view what type of houses the neighborhood has.

If it proves to be close to your favored school and commuting is reasonable, then yes, by all means. There are some attractive greenbelts and small parks in the area, as well. It's nice.

On the other hand, if big-city amenities are important (The Children's Museum, all significant art museums, sports, the best hospitals, and all things quirky/quaint) then you need to know you are a LONG way away. Expats I hoist a pint with are continually amazed with Houston's strange dichotomy;

low population density (relative to UK), but miserable, slow traffic nevertheless if you leave your chosen distant enclave. I'm much more fond of areas closer in because of the freedom and flexibility - not to mention less traffic - but your priorities are in order.

In greater Houston, you should live as close to school and work as possible. That's just smart. Good call, and good luck!

I did alot of the surveying there during construction around 2000 or so. I really loved the infinity pool looking out at the lake at the clubhouse. The original land was just covered in brush with some dirt roads. There was alot of old abandoned pipes and oil and gas looking remains that had to be removed and cleaned up before construction of the underground utilities could begin. Not sure exactly what kind of business was on the land previously. Across Little York at the other subdivision we found several chrystal meth lab camp sites in the woods while cutting lines for topo surveys. There were also several coyotes running around in that area. I remember a construction contractor brought a gun one day and took off in the woods after the coyotes. This was all in the area of Lakes on Eldridge newest sections.

• 2 weeks later...
If it proves to be close to your favored school and commuting is reasonable, then yes, by all means. There are some attractive greenbelts and small parks in the area, as well. It's nice.

On the other hand, if big-city amenities are important (The Children's Museum, all significant art museums, sports, the best hospitals, and all things quirky/quaint) then you need to know you are a LONG way away. Expats I hoist a pint with are continually amazed with Houston's strange dichotomy;

low population density (relative to UK), but miserable, slow traffic nevertheless if you leave your chosen distant enclave. I'm much more fond of areas closer in because of the freedom and flexibility - not to mention less traffic - but your priorities are in order.

In greater Houston, you should live as close to school and work as possible. That's just smart. Good call, and good luck!

Thanks for that. It's sounds a really nice area to live in but I agree with you in that I don't want to be too far away from all the other attractions Houston has on offer. Back to the drawing board then

Take a look at the Heights. There any many housing options, new, old, single family, townhomes etc. It is centrally located and in an area that will hold it's value. My best friend is from Nottingham and I moved him and his wife into a town home on 11th street. They love it. Garden Oaks is also a good option but not the better location of the two. I'd be happy to email you what is available in those locaitons. :D

Take a look at the Heights. There any many housing options, new, old, single family, townhomes etc. It is centrally located and in an area that will hold it's value. My best friend is from Nottingham and I moved him and his wife into a town home on 11th street. They love it. Garden Oaks is also a good option but not the better location of the two. I'd be happy to email you what is available in those locaitons. :D

Thanks for your help. Other people have mentioned the Heights to me and I am keen on exploring this area. Please e-mail what's available to rent. Thanks

• 1 month later...

I live in the sister development across the street from Lakes on Eldridge called Twin Lakes. There are three sister developments all in the same area. Lakes on Eldridge, Lakes on Eldridge North and Twin Lakes. They are all either gated or man guarded. There are a lot of British or UK citizens in all of the developments. The British school has a bus that picks up in Twin Lakes at the club house. My best friend in Twin Lakes is from England and has two kids that go to the British school (ages 9 and 11). Her two oldest are in boarding school in the UK. We have a wonderful women's club that has happy hours, book clubs, an antique auction club, movie night out, ladies lunch out ECT... You will be able to met and become friends with the women fast. You should check out HAR.com, The Houston Association of Realtors webpage. It has all of the houses for sale in Houston. Just type in Twin Lake or Lakes on Eldridge and you will see all the homes for sale. The homes in Twin Lake are beautiful. We are considered West Houston. Still close enough to enjoy what down town has to offer but far enough to avoid bad elements. We are 5 minutes away for Beltway 8(the pay highway), I 10, HWY 290 and Fm 1960. It is just a great location and the developments are beautiful. I think you will feel right at home.

I live in the sister development across the street from Lakes on Eldridge called Twin Lakes. There are three sister developments all in the same area. Lakes on Eldridge, Lakes on Eldridge North and Twin Lakes. They are all either gated or man guarded. There are a lot of British or UK citizens in all of the developments. The British school has a bus that picks up in Twin Lakes at the club house. My best friend in Twin Lakes is from England and has two kids that go to the British school (ages 9 and 11). Her two oldest are in boarding school in the UK. We have a wonderful women's club that has happy hours, book clubs, an antique auction club, movie night out, ladies lunch out ECT... You will be able to met and become friends with the women fast. You should check out HAR.com, The Houston Association of Realtors webpage. It has all of the houses for sale in Houston. Just type in Twin Lake or Lakes on Eldridge and you will see all the homes for sale. The homes in Twin Lake are beautiful. We are considered West Houston. Still close enough to enjoy what down town has to offer but far enough to avoid bad elements. We are 5 minutes away for Beltway 8(the pay highway), I 10, HWY 290 and Fm 1960. It is just a great location and the developments are beautiful. I think you will feel right at home.

When I moved to the Houston area over 7 yrs ago--It came down to a home in Twin Lakes, or The Woodlands..........

I lost the bet with my DH,who, at the time was "I-10 paranoid" and we ended up out in The Woodlands...............which, for me, has not a great choice--I have no children, and ended up working down in the city ( Med Centre) and the drive was brutal

Not to mention just being "Bored to Tears" out there--Ladies groups and all

We moved back into the Houston area last summer( West U)--but I always regretted not moving to Twin Lakes/Eldridge area in the first place....

New Transferees that have asked my opinions about both areas ( Woodlands, or Eldridge area) and have moved into those areas ( One was Parkway Villages area--Lakes of Parkway, another was Lakes on Eldridge) have been very pleased with their decisions......................much nicer to be close to the ammenities of Houston--but far enough away from most of the "riff-raff"

They also like their Kickerillo homes

• 3 weeks later...
When I moved to the Houston area over 7 yrs ago--It came down to a home in Twin Lakes, or The Woodlands..........

I lost the bet with my DH,who, at the time was "I-10 paranoid" and we ended up out in The Woodlands...............which, for me, has not a great choice--I have no children, and ended up working down in the city ( Med Centre) and the drive was brutal

Not to mention just being "Bored to Tears" out there--Ladies groups and all

We moved back into the Houston area last summer( West U)--but I always regretted not moving to Twin Lakes/Eldridge area in the first place....

New Transferees that have asked my opinions about both areas ( Woodlands, or Eldridge area) and have moved into those areas ( One was Parkway Villages area--Lakes of Parkway, another was Lakes on Eldridge) have been very pleased with their decisions......................much nicer to be close to the ammenities of Houston--but far enough away from most of the "riff-raff"

They also like their Kickerillo homes

Unfortunately I read these last two posts after choosing a house. I saw some houses at the Lakes on Eldridge and one of the sister developments and thought that the houses were truly beautiful. I also saw a house in West U which matched our criteria and had a swimming pool. I was really torn between the two. I thought the houses at the Lakes were really beautiful but the house in West U has a fabulous location with shops and restaurants within walking distance. Even the house is in West U is a little bit more dated than I would have liked I opted for this because of the location. I wasn't sure whether the women's groups would be enough for me. I liked the idea of being closer to the museums etc. I'm due to move in next week and am keeping my fingers crossed that I made the right decision!

Thanks to everyone for their advice.

I did alot of the surveying there during construction around 2000 or so... Across Little York at the other subdivision we found several chrystal meth lab camp sites in the woods while cutting lines for topo surveys.

Uh oh. I've been hiking in those woods recently, and ran across a camp site deep in the thicket, where no sane man would go. I just figured it was someplace where kids were playing Davy Crockett. The roof poles were lashed together with duct tape, and the shelf or bed platform was lashed together with vines. It never occurred to me it might be someplace where illegal operations were taking place. I've seen the movies of what happens to hikers who stumble upon drug labs in the woods... So now you're scaring me.

Do these photos look familiar to you?

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b108/JohnRich/Tent1s.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b108/JohnRich/Tent2s.jpg

Nearby was this odd structure, looking recently erected:

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b108/Joh...h/TreeForts.jpg

Any idea what that is supposed to be?

Unfortunately I read these last two posts after choosing a house. I saw some houses at the Lakes on Eldridge and one of the sister developments and thought that the houses were truly beautiful. I also saw a house in West U which matched our criteria and had a swimming pool. I was really torn between the two. I thought the houses at the Lakes were really beautiful but the house in West U has a fabulous location with shops and restaurants within walking distance. Even the house is in West U is a little bit more dated than I would have liked I opted for this because of the location. I wasn't sure whether the women's groups would be enough for me. I liked the idea of being closer to the museums etc. I'm due to move in next week and am keeping my fingers crossed that I made the right decision!

Thanks to everyone for their advice.

I think you will be very happy in West U, I am pleased with my choice--although it took me quite a bit to get the DH going on moving ( like 5 yrs-LOL!) because for the longest time, we were unable to resell our home in the Woodlands for what we paid for it ( and it was a model home featured in a glossy magazine---too maxed out...........) it took us seven yrs to see enough "gains in value" to sell and break even

I had replied to your query about the Lakes on Eldrigde area because after living out in "The Woods" for 7 yrs--I have to believe that being closer into the city--if even the Energy Corridor---would have made that "long, boring 7 yrs that I spent in the far-flung x-burbs" a bit more "papable" for this urban gal................

But I don't have children, so those activities/ concerns do not factor into my decision in where to buy a home...........................

• The title was changed to Lakes On Eldridge

Archived