The Collective At Baldwin Park: Multifamily For Midtown

eLy383Inc

Somebody told me a Taco Milagro is going to open in the retail space below. Am I just being dumb for actually considering this rumor? or is there some truth to it?

Also is there anyone we can call to confirm if construction is going start? I'm sure it's not a secret.

Taco M. can be a good thing or a bad thing for the area. Imagine the crowd as the one over on Kirby @ Westheimer? A true salsa-nightmare! Taco Milagro's should only be built in the middle of a large football sized field away from anything. Let's hope it doesn't come into fruition. :ph34r:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I went to the webpage and I can't find any info on this project. So is it currently under construction? What is the exact location?

http://www.har.com/8103695 The realtor lists as construction to begin mid 2007.

It is at the corner of Elgin and Crawford. Noticed today that the old gas station does look a bit more torn down, but that could be trespassers around here, so I'm not reading too much into it.

Location here:

http://maps.live.com/?v=2&sp=Point.nyp..._&encType=1

or here

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&...&iwloc=addr

• 1 month later...

Mrs. CSOM and I were out running Baldwin Park tonight when some guy parks his SUV in the lot for the Collective. He and his wife (?) come over and start asking us how we like the park, the neighborhood, etc. He ends up telling us he is the owner of the land, and that they are going to start demo'ing the old buildings soon and the structure will go up soon there after. He said the restaurant portion will be on Crawford facing the park, with 4,000 feet of space, and along Elgin the street level will be all retail.

Hope springs eternal?

I'll play along.

Did this guy in the SUV look like the type that would be the owner of a whole block in Midtown? I hope he was because this sounds encouraging. If I had met him I would have had a load of questions for him and reported it all back to HAIF too. Good job!

This is more of a historical sort of comment I guess. Those big older 2-3 story brick homes across the street from that park is where one of my moms coworkers lived back in the late 1940's. My mom would help her babysit on occasion and she told me she recalls vividly taking the baby for strolls through that park. Once in a blue moon when I drive her by there she always brings up her old friend and how beautiful & serene the park was. She said she remembers the huge trees were so gracefull and made the park beautiful. One day I want to stop and go sit on a bench and just take it all in. She said she was proud to see the area make a strong comeback after all these years. :blush:

I would like to know what they are doing with the townhomes that currently take up about 1/4 of the block. They are Perry homes build in 2000.

Are they going to build around them or buy them and demolish? The later seems to make more sense to me for such a large project. However, if construction was imminent, I would expect to see that taken care of by now. People still live in those homes today.

I would like to know what they are doing with the townhomes that currently take up about 1/4 of the block. They are Perry homes build in 2000.

Are they going to build around them or buy them and demolish? The later seems to make more sense to me for such a large project. However, if construction was imminent, I would expect to see that taken care of by now. People still live in those homes today.

I would assume that if this is true, they are building around them.

This is great news. I love how you have these two sides of midtown really growing with residential. Now if we can just get that Superblock developed to tie this whole area together that would be great.

Mrs. CSOM and I were out running Baldwin Park tonight when some guy parks his SUV in the lot for the Collective. He and his wife (?) come over and start asking us how we like the park, the neighborhood, etc. He ends up telling us he is the owner of the land, and that they are going to start demo'ing the old buildings soon and the structure will go up soon there after. He said the restaurant portion will be on Crawford facing the park, with 4,000 feet of space, and along Elgin the street level will be all retail.

Hope springs eternal?

Hmmm... His "ownership" of the property does not quite fit with the facts we were given earlier in the history of this project. Originally, the property and previously existing building were owned by the Community Artists Collective (there was a link to their website earlier in this thread). So unless they've sold the property and the development designs to this mysterious man in an SUV, there's something amiss in his story.

Edit: The Harris County records still show the Community Artists Collective as the owner of the subject site.

The renderings we've seen look to me like it will cover only 1/2 the depth of the block, so those townhomes would be safe. In any event, according to the Harris County records, the Community Artists Collective does not own those townhomes, so I presume the building is planned to fit around them.

Hmmm... His "ownership" of the property does not quite fit with the facts we were given earlier in the history of this project. Originally, the property and previously existing building were owned by the Community Artists Collective (there was a link to their website earlier in this thread). So unless they've sold the property and the development designs to this mysterious man in an SUV, there's something amiss in his story.

Edit: The Harris County records still show the Community Artists Collective as the owner of the subject site.

I didn't say it made a bunch of sense, I'm just sharing what he told us...

At first I assumed as he pulled in the lot that he saw a property listing on HAR yet and showed up at the site confused... who knows. As someone else said, I'll believe it when they break ground.

I paged through all of the MLS listings for this. About 2/3rd's of them still say construction in 2005, and the other 1/3 has the updated dates. Nothing else with the listing changed except for the 2 year slip.

Seems to me that when they are renewing their MLS listings, they are simply making a 2005 a 2007 and a 2006 an 2008 and clicking next.

• 1 month later...
That garage has been opened for over a year.

Sorry to say, but there hasnt been any activity there in the past 18 months that I have lived here.

Well, it is more "open" than it was a few months ago... I think a wall fell in, not sure. Anyway, as I've said before I won't believe the Collective is going up until I see some signs of construction. I will hope for at least demo to at least clear out the old garage...

Side note, what is the 2950 Jackson Street little warehouse across Crawford anyway? Any ideas? It's open from time to time and seems like a chop shop of some sort, and I see it has some new graffitti.... wonderful. Would be a great place for a little park side walk up deli/cafe...

• 2 weeks later...
Well, it is more "open" than it was a few months ago... I think a wall fell in, not sure. Anyway, as I've said before I won't believe the Collective is going up until I see some signs of construction. I will hope for at least demo to at least clear out the old garage...

Side note, what is the 2950 Jackson Street little warehouse across Crawford anyway? Any ideas? It's open from time to time and seems like a chop shop of some sort, and I see it has some new graffitti.... wonderful. Would be a great place for a little park side walk up deli/cafe...

I first got interested on this new development when we were about to buy a new house nearby. I was really excited that there was going to be a mid high-rise in the area with retail space.. As you, I was hoping that this new building would make the neighborhood more atractive. Since for the past two years nothing has happened with this, which is quite disapointing. I just recently found an article in the chronicle (although was dated June 2005) that talks about mid high rises in Houston and mentions the Collective. It is says that the 30~50% of the units must be sold before the construction starts.. I'm not sure if you were already aware of this fact, but maybe if they haven't reached that % that's why the construction has been delayed...In any case, let's hope that eventually this building gets started.. :rolleyes:

The 2950 Jackson warehouse is rented out to local artists. I dont see much activity there, but a few months back, there was activity for several weeks.

The graffiti has already been painted over.

While the property looks abandoned, it is not.

Although, I let my dog run at the park each night, I sure wish there was an ice house there instead :)

• 1 month later...

I noticed a truck carrying a whole bunch of pipes was parked in the empty lot last week. Not sure if anything has happened since then. Can anybody confirm whether it looks like the construction is starting soon?

I noticed a truck carrying a whole bunch of pipes was parked in the empty lot last week. Not sure if anything has happened since then. Can anybody confirm whether it looks like the construction is starting soon?

Truck is gone today. No movement on the property at all. Same as has been.

i could have sworn that the tree next to where the truck with pipes was parked has a signed tacked on it with something "demolition" on it...i had assumed somebody would at least come in and knock down that worthless structure.

i'll try to take a closer look soon

The truck with pipes has been parking there at night for the past week or so. He probably lives nearby and is using the lot for parking. The pipes are not being unloaded at the site.

The demolition sign on the tree is an old advertisment and has been there for the 2 years that I have lived nearby.

• 4 months later...
I have been pretty pessimistic (sp?) about this project ever happening, however, as I type this, they are knocking down the old gas station building that was sitting on the lot.

It's completely down and in rubble as they were working this morning... now does the old brick collective building come down as well is the question.

I don't know if the variance sign has always been there, but I noticed it for the first time when I last drove by a couple of days ago.

Both variance signs have the 2005 hearing date on them, so they've been there for a while. I think the sign with the rendering has disappeared since the demolition began though.

Archived