The Collective At Baldwin Park: Multifamily For Midtown

eLy383Inc

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah,

What I love about this project is that it will have retail on the bottom and will be facing the renovated Baldwin Park. It would be nice to have a little urban park right outside your front door, with street cafes at the bottom. I hope more projects like this start sprouting up around the rail line in the midtown and downtown sector soon. These are the type of projects I would hope for. Does anybody have any renderings?

Yeah,

What I love about this project is that it will have retail on the bottom and will be facing the renovated Baldwin Park.  It would be nice to have a little urban park right outside your front door, with street cafes at the bottom.  I hope more projects like this start sprouting up around the rail line in the midtown and downtown sector soon.  These are the type of projects I would hope for.  Does anybody have any renderings?

For renderings: see http://www.thecollective.org and you'll see the links to the elevations renderings.

Also see thread: http://www.houstonarchitecture.info/haif/i...p?showtopic=285

This is indeed a HOT project!

Guest danax
Their sign was put up this past weekend. 62-units, 7 Stories High.

I did not know all that could fit in to that space. Elgin is starting to get densed.

At 7 stories, I'm wondering if there will be a trend towards increasingly taller residential structures as a way to gain view advantages over the earlier built lesser story projects.

Has anyone any knowledge of areas similar to Midtown in other cities that experienced a escalation of residential height over time?

The funding for this project is being secured. My realtor for this project is one of the few realtors that will have the rights to represent this building.

It will have ground floor retail.

It will be a great addition to Midtown.

Any word on leasors for the retail yet? If there was more deli/restaurant/bakery/coffee style digs in the area I dont think I could have justified buying elswhere. There is still a 2 bedroom loft unit available over at 1602 Elgin with a park view and catty-corner to this project here. I believe they are asking $179k with $210/maintenence fee.

My realtor told me that the leasors were confirmed yet. I do know that SouthTrust Bank was to be the financing bank involved.

As soon as I get more information from him, I'll post it.

He really feels the project's units will sell quickly. They have been gettin lots of interest in these types of projects from buyers, but the capacity is not there.

I couldn't believe the retail I saw on some of the developments in Uptown Dallas. On one of the aprtment buildings I believe I saw a POLO Ralph Lauren store on ground level, but it dd not have that much of an impact on the area as I thought.

Update!! Taco Milagro is one of the slated retail residents. The currently have a restaurant at Kirby and Westheimer. I haven't eaten there before and have received mixed reviews from friends. But it always seems busy.

Also, a potential vegatarian restaurant is also proposed. The developer of this project primarily deals with shopping centers and also build some McMansions in the West U and Bellaire area. My realtor has told me that the developer feels that with the cost of land in Midtown that he only sees a mixed used or mid-rise residential as the most money making options.

After this project moves forward, he'll see if he wants to do some more. They are planning to have future residents only sign contracts and not setup a sill reservation concept like Shamrock Tower.

kjb434...

what's your source on this? taco milagro would be an unbelievable addition to the area given the popularity of it. Although, i'm not a huge fan of the food...it's great that such a venue would have confidence in the location...this is great news. Tell us more as you learn!!!

-mr

Update!!  Taco Milagro is one of the slated retail residents.  The currently have a restaurant at Kirby and Westheimer.  I haven't eaten there before and have received mixed reviews from friends.  But it always seems busy.

Also, a potential vegatarian restaurant is also proposed.  The developer of this project primarily deals with shopping centers and also build some McMansions in the West U and Bellaire area.  My realtor has told me that the developer feels that with the cost of land in Midtown that he only sees a mixed used or mid-rise residential as the most money making options.

After this project moves forward, he'll see if he wants to do some more.  They are planning to have future residents only sign contracts and not setup a sill reservation concept like Shamrock Tower.

So are they knocking down that building on the SW corner of that block? The one with all the cool artwork around the base? I was hoping that that old structure was going to be incorporated into the new structure but that doesnt look like it in the elevations. Without knocking it down the lot size seems kind of small.

So are they knocking down that building on the SW corner of that block? The one with all the cool artwork around the base? I was hoping that that old structure was going to be incorporated into the new structure but that doesnt look like it in the elevations. Without knocking it down the lot size seems kind of small.

Lowbrow, from my conversations with the folks at the collective, much of that artwork WILL be incorporated into the new bldg. It's also my understanding that the elevations on the web are very native, and not neccessarily completely accurate. Let's see :) I'm very excited about this project.

My sources is my realtor (also a friend) who working with the developer and reviewing their contracts and legal documents. They've had meetings with several lenders to determing the best one. He is also involved with creating the condo association rules and the marketing of the condos.

This project is definetly moving forward. As for a dates for construction and completion, I haven't pressed them for it. I think he may have given me a little to much information. But none of this seems like it'll mess the project up.

He gave me the name of the developer, but I need to confirm it. They probably have a website that gives much more information on their history and their projects.

I'll look for it.

My sources is my realtor (also a friend) who working with the developer and reviewing their contracts and legal documents.  They've had meetings with several lenders to determing the best one.  He is also involved with creating the condo association rules and the marketing of the condos.

This project is definetly moving forward.  As for a dates for construction and completion, I haven't pressed them for it.  I think he may have given me a little to much information.  But none of this seems like it'll mess the project up.

He gave me the name of the developer, but I need to confirm it.  They probably have a website that gives much more information on their history and their projects.

I'll look for it.

Your scoop is very much appreciated! If you could find out the details on groundbreak it would truly be exciting - i'm looking forward to it!

Thanks for the data!

• 1 month later...
Guest danax
Yeah,

What I love about this project is that it will have retail on the bottom and will be facing the renovated Baldwin Park.  It would be nice to have a little urban park right outside your front door, with street cafes at the bottom. 

A park can be a good thing to have in front of you and a bad thing, it depends on the neighborhood. I think this one will be a good thing and it could spark the Baldwin Park area to become a high-class zone within Midtown with the park as the focal point. Am I being too rosy-eyed here?

A park can be a good thing to have in front of you and a bad thing, it depends on the neighborhood. I think this one will be a good thing and it could spark the Baldwin Park area to become a high-class zone within Midtown with the park as the focal point. Am I being too rosy-eyed here?

I'm rosey-eyed like you on this matter...however, only time will tell. Just recently, a hand detail shop set up across the street from us with the used-car dealership flags all over it - pretty ugly stuff. This is less than one block from the park.

Though time will likely flush out such entities - it's not terribly encouraging. Meanwhile, however, the park really is coming along very nicely and looks like it will be a great central focus.

I was chatting with a surveyor from the civil engineering group working with the Collective, last wkd. All signs point to a groundbreak at the very tail end of the year - i.e. december, as late as january...

Great news about the Collective. I try to confirm with the realtor who is working with the developer about this project.

Also, OutSmart magazine has been placing adds for the Collective in the adds section in the back.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest danax

It will be an interesting building. Not meaning to sound negative, but it almost looks like they cut and pasted different architectural elements; the glass reminds me of those 80s-90s buildings, those dual, rounded roof portions remind me of Minute Maid Park, the red brick with square windows almost looks old-timey 1900 and the overall asymmetry is Queen Anneish. Also, I see the roof will be utilized as an outdoor living space, which is good and something that seems to be part of our current architectural style, of which this looks to be a part of. It has some sort of vague resemblance to the Federal Reserve on Allen and the new County Courts downtown. A very eclectic style and the overall look on this one is a thumbs up.

This building will not go unnoticed and just blend into the streetscape. If successful, we could see other mixed use midrises pop up on select side streets around town. Anyone know where the parking will be for 62 units and retail?

I'm glad to see they are incorporating canopies to shield pedestrians from sun and rain. Walking in the shade in a concrete area like downtown makes such a difference. And, if there is shelter from the ever present afternoon shower, people won't mind walking the area.

Parking will be on the lower two are three floors behind the retail space. You can see where the lower section the building transition to the brick portions with the residential units in them.

Archived