Chris Bell Professional Candidate

Reefmonkey

Haha! I always tell my wife that I like Skelley better because he did his commercial with the skyline in the background. :D

Aren't we supposed to vote for Skelley because we're voting against Cullberson? Isn't he the guy that was in kahoots with DeLay and got our funding for rail blocked and thus DeLayed progress?

Bell did win city council, I think twice.

My view is that anyone that gets "in the arena" and wants to give back has my respect. Always liked the Quote from TR:

"It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."

My view is that anyone that gets "in the arena" and wants to give back has my respect. Always liked the Quote from TR:

"It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."

Ted Stevens, Tom Delay, Gary Condit, William Jefferson (bribe money in the freezer Congressman from Louisiana), just a few of the people who got "in the arena", and I am sure have all claimed at one time or another they got into politics because they "wanted to give back."

By and large, politics attract people because of the lure of power and influence. The purely altruistic Cincinnatus type who only gets into politics to serve, and out of no personal ambition is an extreme rarity, if not outright myth. It's naive to give someone respect for no other reason than they chose to enter the political arena, especially when they have not even done anything noteworthy. Given the track records of most politicians, it is more realistic, and really our duty as voters and vigilant citizens, to view anyone who enters into politics with skepticism and suspicion until he/she has given years of honorable and uncorrupted service. Then and only then are they worthy of our respect.

How many elections do you have to lose before you figure out that politics may not be your cup of tea?

It seems to work the opposite sometimes. We had one such perpetual candidate in Galveston County. His name is Kevin Walsh and he is now our county treasurer. This guy ran for every available office over and over again, county clerk, district clerk, tax collector, district judge, county surveyor, and then for county treasurer, until his name recognition finally stuck and he got elected. He has no experience in government what so ever other than being a constant candidate. But low and behold, now he's our treasurer, so go figure. It's not how many elections you lose before you give up, it's how many elections you lose before the citizens give up.

• The title was changed to Chris Bell Professional Candidate

Archived