C. Baldwin By Hilton Hotel At 400 Dallas St.

NYC Texan3

It looks like the landscaping has been installed around the new parking garage at Bagby and Allen Parkway, so I am wondering if there won't be any additional work done on the design or facade of the structure? I read that a Heritage Plaza parking garage design received an architecture prize, but obviously what now exists isn't distinguished.

A few months ago, I saw a contemporary, organic-looking grid piece that was probably 20 feet square hoisted up to the 3rd or 4th floor. Obviously, the grid was taken down and wasn't put back up, but it sure would be an improvement over what we see now.

Anyone with a better clue out there?

• Like 1

It looks like the landscaping has been installed around the new parking garage at Bagby and Allen Parkway, so I am wondering if there won't be any additional work done on the design or facade of the structure? I read that a Heritage Plaza parking garage design received an architecture prize, but obviously what now exists isn't distinguished.

A few months ago, I saw a contemporary, organic-looking grid piece that was probably 20 feet square hoisted up to the 3rd or 4th floor. Obviously, the grid was taken down and wasn't put back up, but it sure would be an improvement over what we see now.

Anyone with a better clue out there?

Good question. I was wondering the same thing last night when I was driving by it. There's a rendering of what it was supposed to look like here on HAIF, but I (or someone) will have to search for it. Or better yet, the mods can merge this topic with the existing one.

Back on point, I would not want to be staying in the Doubletree across from this thing. It would be WAY too bright at night, a la the Hines garage downtown.

Doubletree's are normally very modern and elegant indeed, but I wonder what will become of the other one on West side of downtown? Remain open?

Perhaps best way to see any renderings would be to search the developer or architect firm that is creating it? or even Doubltrees main website. Hotels usually show new projects slated all over the world.

www.doubletree.hilton.com

A few months ago, I saw a contemporary, organic-looking grid piece that was probably 20 feet square hoisted up to the 3rd or 4th floor. Obviously, the grid was taken down and wasn't put back up...

Interesting. I'm looking at it right now and only realized it was gone after you mentioned it. That grid piece wasn't up there very long. You're right, it would be better looking than the plain structure. There is already landscaping being done, so I assume the thing is near completion.

The developer of this garage, like the developer of the garage across from Commerce Towers (which likewise is an eyesore to (the few) people trying to sleep across the street), apparently decided to save money on the construction and call it a day. There really needs to be a Planning Commission or design guidelines of some kind to hold their feet to the fire. Can we please have something that isn't butt ugly when we put something new in downtown?

Doubletree's are normally very modern and elegant indeed, but I wonder what will become of the other one on West side of downtown? Remain open?

Perhaps best way to see any renderings would be to search the developer or architect firm that is creating it? or even Doubltrees main website. Hotels usually show new projects slated all over the world.

www.doubletree.hilton.com

Error correction: I thought there was another Doubletree being built on East side of town. So what they are doing is just making a new addition to the present Doubletree right? A walkway will be such a positive. Crossing those streets in that area can be very dangerous.

I guess the link above has no renderings? :(

• 2 weeks later...

For the most part, the landscaping is finished. They were painting the top parking surface earlier this morning. We received an email from building management yesterday saying we could start parking there on December 1st. It seems to be in it's finished state now. Too bad the giant grid was left off. It did look better.

Error correction: I thought there was another Doubletree being built on East side of town. So what they are doing is just making a new addition to the present Doubletree right? A walkway will be such a positive. Crossing those streets in that area can be very dangerous.

I guess the link above has no renderings? :(

Not really sure what you're talking about. The parking garage being discussed here has nothing to do with the Doubletree Hotel (other than the happenstance of being located across the street)

• Like 1

• The title was changed to DoubleTree By Hilton Hotel Houston Downtown
  • The title was changed to C. Baldwin By Hilton Hotel At 400 Dallas St.