Looking for an inexpensive Loft

Porkchop Jr

Can anybody recommend a decent loft on a students budget? I would like to purchase rather than lease. I really LOVE the Waterway lofts in the Woodlands but I definitely can't afford even the most inexpensive unit right now. I guess my budget is right at about 150k. I searched online but the only lofts I found were way out of my range. Maybe a townhome would work out better?

You're probably going to be better off with a townhouse or a condo if you really want to purchase. Most condos with the word "loft" attached to them aren't really lofts ("soft lofts"), but still carry a price premium for the privilege of pretending you live in a loft.

Those lofts that are real lofts and are affordable tend not to advertise. I recommend driving around downtown just north of the bayou (the area around Dakota Lofts) and the area just east of downtown and visually scoping out what's available. You'll probably find some places that aren't listed on the internet.

Can anybody recommend a decent loft on a students budget? I would like to purchase rather than lease. I really LOVE the Waterway lofts in the Woodlands but I definitely can't afford even the most inexpensive unit right now. I guess my budget is right at about 150k. I searched online but the only lofts I found were way out of my range. Maybe a townhome would work out better?

If you were a U of H student at the main campus on 45, you could buy a home in the neighborhoods just across the frwy. Location is the word. Perfect especially for singles/couples. Get to know the locals for the real scoop. In fact Broadmoor has been a temp to permanent for U of H students for decades. :D

Eastwood

Broadmoor

Sunnyland

Country Club Place

Idylwood

Mason Park area

Look at Live Oak Lofts. They're real lofts, too, like Editor was talking about. And they're really close to UH.

EDIT: Watch out for maintenance fees, though!

There are a couple of Urban Loft townhouses near me that are going super cheap; they are foreclosures. Do a street address search on har.com for "Calumet st."

I've lived in one of these for a few years and can attest to the quality; they're nicely built. The neighborhood is slowly changing for the better, too.

EDIT: no maintenance fees, either, just a HOA fee.

• 1 month later...

Archived