Naw'lins Pics

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The First picture could be New York! or Europe!

I love How New Orleans can come of as urban so well, the atmosphere is spectacular. Although its a pretty town, it can also be a dangerous one at that. Great pictures Mancuso!!

Edit:

The top building reminds me of the N.E. building!

new orleans is not a place to live, and yes its dangerous. its look dirty also in those pics. I visited new orleans alot of times, smells like a damn sewer, but nice to have fun and come back home. That's why people that lives in new orleans rather live in texas, cause more nicer, more things to get into, and twice as more JOBS!

The first time I went to New Orleans, I loved it.

The second time I went, I loved it.

The third time was not so great.

The fourth time I didn't like it.

The fifth time I just thought it was gross.

I don't think the city changed all that much over four years. I think the magic just wore off.

I agree that it's dirty, and much more dangerous than Houston, but maybe not so dangerous as New York. But it's the filth that bothers me more.

new orleans will never change. I haven't been there in 5 years, and I went there 3 years ago and still the same. Well, you have to look at it this way. New Orleans is a poor city, the whole city looks like a ghetto for crying out loud. To me, I can't see why people live there. But thats their home.

Typical Houston Architecture Form bashing. It seems like many people on this form bash any city that is not Houston. I know many people who quit posting on this forum because of it and other reasons (child like behavior). I would move back to New Orleans in a heartbeat if I had a job there. I never had a problem with crime. Half of all the murders are within a seven-mile radius, which is consisted of the projects that they are being torn down. It is dirty because it is 300yrs old. It is not new like Houston. They city has done an exemplary job of preserving the vibe, culture, and architecture of the city. Houston is still trying to grasp that idea. I love Houston do not get me wrong, but Houston could learn many things from it

Houston, can make up of different cities such as; new york, chicago, l.a., even international cities. They flim movies here to make up for those cities. New orleans is not even close to be an international city. Yes, New orleans have great architecture, and culture, but it's nasty, smelly, and the buildings look like its has mildew on them. i would never live in new orleans, but I'll visit. That's why people all over louisiana really wants to come to houston, or dallas cause of jobs, and more things to get into here. Texas is king of the south, and houston is #1, and everyday we're growing and growing. New orleans is light miles away from houston and dallas. So please don't even compare new orleans to the texas cities. I rather move to austin before i move to new orleans, and austin is not that big. I know alot of my friends from new orleans right now saying they wish they could come to texas, cause its ain't s.h.i.t. here. But New Orleans is a nice city to Visit, but not to live.

Typical Houston Architecture Form bashing.  It seems like many people on this form bash any city that is not Houston.  I know many people who quit posting on this forum because of it and other reasons (child like behavior).  I would move back to New Orleans in a heartbeat if I had a job there.  I never had a problem with crime. Half of all the murders are within a seven-mile radius, which is consisted of the projects that they are being torn down.  It is dirty because it is 300yrs old.  It is not new like Houston.  They city has done an exemplary job of preserving the vibe, culture, and architecture of the city.  Houston is still trying to grasp that idea.  I love Houston do not get me wrong, but Houston could learn many things from it

New Orleans is supposed to be a bit dirty, and mildewed and decayed. It's what gives the French Quarter its patina, its ambiance, its mystery.

The funny thing is that a lot of the 'decay' you see isn't really genuine. They have very strict preservation laws, and any change - including maintenance - to an exterior of a building has to go through exhaustive review. I was told by a native that any material that isn't hopelessly rotted or termite infested must be re-used; and new materials have to be artificially aged. Therefore, if you have to replace a door or window, it not only has to match the original in construction, and be of a period-appropriate color; after painting, people apply paint remover, then wipe it off, so that it has the appearance of having been there for a couple of hundred years. Vinyl siding or aluminum storm doors would ruin the effect.

And it pays off. New Orleans is one of the world's great unique cities. How many plays and movies have been set in N.O. compared to, say, Houston? How many advertisements have been filmed there? And artists make a good living by selling watercolors of quaint French Quarter scenes (funny, you don't find many tourists eager to buy prints of The Galleria or Katy Mills).

New Orleans can be dangerous. The natives were very clear about which streets to avoid at night, and even on which side of the street I should walk (the side away from where the cars are parked; muggers lurk there). They can size up a drunk tourist at a glance. Here's a typical New Orleans scam:

"Bet you $5 I can tell you were you got them shoes."

"Bet you can't. Here's $5...."

"You got them on yo' feet."

New Orleans is a peculiar blend of truth and fiction, of calculated charm. If I had a spare liver, I'd love to live there.

I agree, but all your talking about is the French Quarter. Name other parts of New Orleans that aren't as bad as they seem.

The Garden District - in may eyes it is the best neighborhoods on the continent.

The Warehouse District - Old Warehouses turned into lofts, art galleries, and upscale restaurants.

Mid City - nice neighborhoods lined with oaks and century old homes and business

The Margine - just like the French quarter but not with clubs and bars.

By-Water - a up and coming neighborhood with artist and professionals

Old Metarie - old estates just outside the city that is on par with river oaks

The CBD - that has many turn of the century skyscrapers.

Should I go on?

Houston, can make up of different cities such as; new york, chicago, l.a., even international cities. They flim movies here to make up for those cities. New orleans is not even close to be an international city. Yes, New orleans have great  architecture, and culture, but it's nasty, smelly, and the buildings look like its has mildew on them. i would never live in new orleans, but I'll visit. That's why people all over louisiana really wants to come to houston, or dallas cause of jobs, and more things to get into here. Texas is king of the south, and houston is #1, and everyday we're growing and growing. New orleans is light miles away from houston and dallas. So please don't even compare new orleans to the texas cities. I rather move to austin before i move to new orleans, and austin is not that big. I know alot of my friends from new orleans right now saying they wish they could come to texas, cause its ain't s.h.i.t. here. But New Orleans is a nice city to Visit, but not to live.

New Orleans not an international city? Dude the port of South Louisiana is the largest in the United States. The city does not want to grow to 5 million like Houston. Growth is very restricted in the city and has been for several decades. People all over Louisiana do not want to move to Houston or Texas, but many of them have to because most of the Oil Companies downsized and moved over here. If you ask most people who are from Louisiana or New Orleans they would move back if their job would let them, as would all my Louisiana friends and I. I am glad Houston is growing by leaps and bounds, but it could learn much from New Orleans. That city has done more to preserve it's identity, architecture, culture, and heritage than almost any other major city, even at the expense of economic expansion. Unlike here in Houston, money is not everything over there. I am happy that Houston is used in film to pretend it is NYC or Chicago. They obviously can not do that in New Orleans because every one who would see it would know right off the bat it is New Orleans (Again look at preserving identity). You can not say the same about Houston. Houston is a great city. I love it. I should not be surprised that people on this forum are bashing yet another city. I should expect this as the norm by now.

The Port of Houston, one of the region's greatest assets, ranks as the nation's largest port in international tonnage and second in total tonnage.

According to the report, total waterborne commerce in the United States reached a record 2.34 billion tons in 1998. The Port of South Louisiana was ranked first in total tonnage, followed by Houston and New York.

Pretty good for New Orleans for once.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

The nation's poorest congressional district is New Orleans. And, no... I don't think people here bash other cities. People here are quite fond of Bartlesville, Austin, I would even say New Orleans. Houstonians have a fondness for any city that is genuine. They may not have a fondness for Dallas, simply because they rival Houston and are not genuine. Cities like Baton Rouge aren't unique either.

Archived