Outgrowing a home vs. Growing into an Ego

sowanome

All this "bloated" reminds me of how the Romans would eat laying down on their sides.

Since none have the gumption to hypothesize upon my questions, I'll deposit some jewelry.

Middle class families are indeed attaining greater wealth and using it towards increasing conditioned square-footage. However the spatial distribution is telling of a "decentralization" of inter-generational communication. Circulation is circulation, rooms are rooms. This carries over also as obtuse aspect ratios of compartmentalized rooms and reactionary perverse concepts like "great room." People complain that today's society is eroding conservative moral values, well, you shot yourself in the foot by desiring homes that allow you validate yourself and smokescreen neglect towards the hearth of interpersonal communication.

No one wants to talk to their mom while she lounges on the poop-styled bloated chair and yaks on the phone. Besides, mom doesn't cook. And dad is in his manhole wondering how much longer he can stand it. Ah, the magical circle that is postmodern life.

But you bring up a good point: we haven't quite yet made the vomitorium a design feature.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Could someone tell me where to buy the non-bloated couch? I need to replace my current non-bloated couch with a new one.

Design Within Reach for spensive, High Fashion Home for less expensive. Optimally, antique/second hand. Better quality and not contributing to the landfill.

Middle class families are indeed attaining greater wealth and using it towards increasing conditioned square-footage.

More accurately, the middle class gained access to more credit. Real wages have been stagnant or declining for several years, and much of the increased home equity has now vanished. Only massive amounts of cheap credit allowed them to do it. It remains to be seen what macro effect all of this crisis will have on the middle class and home size. If that middle class family really has to live on that $80,000 annual income, will they still be living in a 3,000 foot house with the matching gas guzzling Expeditions in the driveway, and the bloated furniture in fron of the entertainment system?

I'm betting No.

More accurately, the middle class gained access to more credit. Real wages have been stagnant or declining for several years, and much of the increased home equity has now vanished. Only massive amounts of cheap credit allowed them to do it. It remains to be seen what macro effect all of this crisis will have on the middle class and home size. If that middle class family really has to live on that $80,000 annual income, will they still be living in a 3,000 foot house with the matching gas guzzling Expeditions in the driveway, and the bloated furniture in fron of the entertainment system?

I'm betting No.

Ours is a brand new subdivision. We are among the first ten families to move in in Jan 06. Yet there has been two bank-owned properties on my street, a lot more in the costlier section, and a whole lot more for sale/lease signs. They are trying to sell but no one is buying. Fact is few, very few of them net up to 80k. There plain stupid.

Could someone tell me where to buy the non-bloated couch? I need to replace my current non-bloated couch with a new one. I hate puffy furniture. And the Barcelona chair is one of the most comfortable around and comes with a matching ottoman.

I had a non-bloated couch almost identical to the one in the picture. Room and Board has a great selection of non-bloated furniture at prices that are less non-bloated than you might see elsewhere.

Could someone tell me where to buy the non-bloated couch? I need to replace my current non-bloated couch with a new one. I hate puffy furniture. And the Barcelona chair is one of the most comfortable around and comes with a matching ottoman.

I love the barcelona chair - just don't think it's the perfect chair for my space - still looking.

Try Eurway on Eldrige, one block north of Westheimer. Not all of their sofas are bloated.

The Barcelona chair, while aesthetically pleasing, actually rates very low on the comfort scale for many people. It offers no back support. Baby boomers, seniors and others with knee or back problems avoid it like the plague - once they slide into it, they can't get up!

Interesting thread.

Over the past 5 or so years, i've been grappling w/my conspicuous consumption predisposition.

In 2001, I purchased a 3 level 3480 sf t'house in Camp Logan, 150' from Memorial Park. I wandered the climate-

controlled space and sought a "piece" for this empty area, a "knicknack" for this alcove. In short, I tailored

myself to the space. When I had a party 2-3 times/yr., it was ideal. That left the other 360+ days. I liked the way

the place looked more than the place "lived". Maybe if I were a professional fund-raiser/entertainer...

Ultimately, the waste ate at me and I moved...

In 2005, I bought a new custom in the best part of "upper Kirby" - and dwindled down to 2900 sf. This is the coolest place

I've ever owned: Far more intelligently laid out, adapted to the lot and adjacent properties. The architect made it a treat

for the eye; "modern art gallery" was the most-heard description when I had my 2-3 parties/yr. At these times I could use

my "wineglass dishwasher", double oven, and 20' x 50' x 12' "gathering area" to entertain. It goes without saying the $/sf

(and the absolute price) was far higher than the Camp Logan space. But once again, there were those 360+ other days....

In 2008 (spring) although I've done well enough to keep right on moving "up", I decided that, in reality, I spend the vast

majority of my time reading or watching TV sports in about 300 sf, except for sleeping. I really don't need my 15' long

English antique table; I generally eat standing up or while moving! So, I bought a 1900 sf circa-1955 ranch-style in July in a largely

nondescript (but good) neighborhood near the loop. I spent between 1/3 and 1/4 of the Upper Kirby home price. It seems I

will be hand washing my good wine glasses now. ;) I'll never knock anyone out anymore with my "digs", but I'm having a great

time gardening in my (comparably) huge back yard...and I have enough interior space...easily.

If you check out of the conspic/consum market, you notice the positive "ripple effect": Prop taxes down 67%...A/C down 50%,

no need for pro window washing, pro landscape maintainence. Service workers charge less when they are called in (shockingly

less, at times). It may be easier for me to effect this change because I grew up in a similar ranch house - with three other people -

and was not a trustfund/silver spoon type.

Maybe my "green" thinking was a factor, but as much as anything, it began to seem silly and wasteful to own something chiefly to

exhibit my relative affluence a few times a year. Even a home roughly half the size of my Camp Logan t'home seems plenty large these days. I must credit an architect who teaches a non-credit at Rice about "your dream home". His imminently practical advice to us was to build a living space - period. He analogized that it is far cheaper to "put up" out-of-towners at a nice hotel (even the St. Regis) than to add additional sf for sporadic visitors - you could, in fact spoil them rotten w/spa packages, dinners, etc., then host them at your place during the day and still come out way ahead! (If anyone knows his name, I'd appreciate them posting it;

I'd recommend his class to anyone mulling over these issues). He simply urged us to monitor the space we actually needed and stick fairly close to that.

I'm 48, and I think I have finally conquered my ego, at least as it relates to the showplace v. home issue. My 2-3 parties this year may seem a little more crowded and I may do strategic 'splain'in to a close friend or two (the market meltdown came after my move) since I don't want anyone to think that this decision was driven by extraneous reasons. Maybe I'll get the upscale bug again,and maybe I'll "go back", but I sincerely hope I don't. I think I finally have a handle on my inner conspicuous consumer, and ego.

I'm 48, and I think I have finally conquered my ego, at least as it relates to the showplace v. home issue. My 2-3 parties this year may seem a little more crowded and I may do strategic 'splain'in to a close friend or two (the market meltdown came after my move) since I don't want anyone to think that this decision was driven by extraneous reasons. Maybe I'll get the upscale bug again,and maybe I'll "go back", but I sincerely hope I don't. I think I finally have a handle on my inner conspicuous consumer, and ego.

You haven't COMPLETELY overcome your ego. ;)

But, good job, nonetheless. It is nearly impossible to overcome the over-consumption bug, given that 22 minutes of every hour of television is urging you to spend that extra couple of bucks. The cynical among us might also point out that our 'small living' produces its own ego driven bragging...albeit a slightly more sustainable ego.

Maybe my "green" thinking was a factor, but as much as anything, it began to seem silly and wasteful to own something chiefly to

exhibit my relative affluence a few times a year.

Well put, I faced the same issue when I moved to Chicago and downsized to a 800 sq.ft apt. in River North area (One of the most affluent area's downtown) from a place in Houston that was 2200 sq.ft. It's funny, but since we've downsized my partner and I feel a lot closer and rarely miss the space. We then moved from the 800 sq. ft place w/awesome views to one that is 725 sq.ft. w/ a much better layout...Pretty nice b/c we are paying $1400 vs. $2200 for those awesome views and awkward layout...Like you mentioned, the one thing we found out was that it's all about how much at "Home" do you feel when home and how much of your space is actually liveable.

He analogized that it is far cheaper to "put up" out-of-towners at a nice hotel (even the St. Regis) than to add additional sf for sporadic visitors - you could, in fact spoil them rotten w/spa packages, dinners, etc., then host them at your place during the day and still come out way ahead!]

I also found out that there's nothing wrong with an air mattress, besides how many visitors come to visit and stay in the b.room all day? Anyone else have a story like this?

I'm a data point going the other way. My first non-apartment was a 4-plex on Westheimer with one bedroom, one living room a kitchen and a bathroom. I lived there with my girlfriend for many years. It was crowded. When we got tired of people pissing on our yard during festivals, we moved to an 800 sf house in The Heights. It had 2 bedrooms, a laundry room and a dining room. Much nicer. Then we decided to have a kid, so we moved out to The Westbury and upgraded to a 1,900 sf house with a pool. I love it. It's got enough room so that three people can be in it at the same time and have privacy when they want it.

Gosh, everyone here is on such a high horse! Of course everyone wants bigger. What's wrong with that? I attribute it to better building techniques and technology to support it. A 4000 SF house can be made pretty energy efficient compared to say 20 years ago. Of course not as efficient as a 2000 SF house built today, but so what?

Gosh, everyone here is on such a high horse! Of course everyone wants bigger. What's wrong with that? I attribute it to better building techniques and technology to support it. A 4000 SF house can be made pretty energy efficient compared to say 20 years ago. Of course not as efficient as a 2000 SF house built today, but so what?

I think you're missing something. Do everyone need bigger? Do you get a 4000 sf home just because you can afford it? This year has taught me that many who get homes 2800 sf and above don't need it, they can't even afford it.

I think you're missing something. Do everyone need bigger? Do you get a 4000 sf home just because you can afford it? This year has taught me that many who get homes 2800 sf and above don't need it, they can't even afford it.

If they can't afford it, they don't get to keep it (unless I bail them out). None of us need most of the stuff we have. Humans lived happily for thousands of years with sticks, stones and animal skins. We want all this other crap, so we get it. Seems simple to me.

If they can't afford it, they don't get to keep it (unless I bail them out). None of us need most of the stuff we have. Humans lived happily for thousands of years with sticks, stones and animal skins. We want all this other crap, so we get it. Seems simple to me.

Sure, it is simple. But you probably shouldn't expect to be complimented on your cravings for more and bigger crap, should you?

Nope. Why do you ask that question?

Because the post that started this debate asked "what's wrong with that?", and, "so what?" While I agree with you on the reason that people want all of this crap, I fail to see why this base instinct should be applauded, except out of politeness. But, since the post started with an impolite statement, it seemed to be begging for an unvarnished reply.

Because the post that started this debate asked "what's wrong with that?", and, "so what?" While I agree with you on the reason that people want all of this crap, I fail to see why this base instinct should be applauded, except out of politeness. But, since the post started with an impolite statement, it seemed to be begging for an unvarnished reply.

I didn't think texas911 was saying anyone should be complimented for wanting a bigger house, just that there isn't anything wrong with that desire. Conversely, there is nothing wrong with wanting a smaller house, nor is that desire worthy of praise.

I didn't think texas911 was saying anyone should be complimented for wanting a bigger house, just that there isn't anything wrong with that desire. Conversely, there is nothing wrong with wanting a smaller house, nor is that desire worthy of praise.

Correct. It is ME that is saying that one need not be complimented for wanting a bigger house. I answered his questions, and my answers went counter to both his and your opinion.

Correct. It is ME that is saying that one need not be complimented for wanting a bigger house. I answered his questions, and my answers went counter to both his and your opinion.

I don't see where your answer is counter to my opinion, unless you think I thought people should be compliemented for wanting a bigger house. I'm very confused by this sub-thread. What are you saying?

I don't see where your answer is counter to my opinion, unless you think I thought people should be compliemented for wanting a bigger house. I'm very confused by this sub-thread. What are you saying?

If you spent more time reading the posts, and less time trying to make it about you, you'd see that my comments related only to the first poster's opinion, and his statements.

It may be important to note that I gave MY opinion as a counter to HIS opinion. You, on the other hand, appear to be attempting to be contrarian, with no real opinion at all. With that said, I now return this thread to its original topic.

My only issue, yeah it's my own issue and I welcome any criticism, is that why are so many homes built with rooms that are unusable. For Example, The Living room w/ furniture that's used for display purposes(Typical of 4000 sq. ft. homes)....I've never seen this room used, I've only seen it observed...

There's nothing like paying for furniture and space that you don't use just b/c you love the n.hood :D

If you spent more time reading the posts, and less time trying to make it about you, you'd see that my comments related only to the first poster's opinion, and his statements.

Why so mean? You replied to my post, so I assumed you were speaking to me. Were you speaking to texas911 through me?

Archived