Houston, We Have A Problem

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/h...eatures/3104681

March 27, 2005, 6:30PM

Houston, we have a problem

An iconic phrase from a heroic mission, but enough already

By ANDREW GUY JR.

Copyright 2005 Houston Chronicle

Five words. Just five little words. A Mayday call, uttered call. Uttered more than 30 years ago from aboard a broken spaceship. With no idea of what to do next. Those five words have resonated with us, stuck with Houstonians, us, resonating through time like the radio waves used to deliver them from space.

And, yet, those five words also have become something of a joke, an overused, trite phrase used by lazy tabloid headline writers and uttered by average Joes looking to put a spin on a problematic issue.

Houston, we do have a problem.

"It's a generic type of clich

I think Houston should use the phrase like New York uses "I Love New York," It could be on T-shirts, hats and everything.

Maybe we already have enough cheesy tourist slogans for this city...

"Houston, Its worth it!" -a-hyuck!

"Everything's bigger in Texas"

"Texas, its bigger then France."

"You all can go to hell, I'm going to Texas" -Davie Crockett

etc.

etc.

etc.

How about:

Texas > *

Houston. The city where it takes you 2 hours to drive through.

Hey LTAWACS where are you from? I ask because you take such a negative stance on this board. That is fine as we cannot all be Utopian dreamers here. I am just wondering since you seem to have such disdain for this city.

Hey LTAWACS where are you from?  I ask because you take such a negative stance on this board.  That is fine as we cannot all be Utopian dreamers here.  I am just wondering since you seem to have such disdain for this city.

I'm from Houston. :happysad:

I just wish someone would do something about all our issues. It's obvious our elected baffoons are incapable of doing anything but scratch their butts.

I agree with Trophy Property. It seems that you (LTAWACS) always belittles this city in every way possible. It appears you are blinded the undesirable aspects of this city and can't see how wonder this city really is.

Houston is different than many cities, but that doesn't make it any less outstanding. The many differences in Houston from other cities is what I think makes it so great.

And yes, some of the politicos in our city are baffoons, but this is in every city. It's actually in every government in the world.

I'm from Houston. :happysad:

I just wish someone would do something about all our issues. It's obvious our elected baffoons are incapable of doing anything but scratch their butts.

Fair enough. How about some suggestions on what you would like to see. As you know there are a lot of far out ideas floating around this board. I would bet your ideas would generate some fun discussions. Tell us what you would like to see !!!!

I agree with Trophy Property.  It seems that you (LTAWACS) always belittles this city in every way possible.  It appears you are blinded the undesirable aspects of this city and can't see how wonder this city really is.

Houston is different than many cities, but that doesn't make it any less outstanding.  The many differences in  Houston from other cities is what  I think makes it so great.

And yes, some of the politicos in our city are baffoons, but this is in every city.  It's actually in every government in the world.

I love this town. I just detest the leaders. They are all smalltimers.

With the release Tuesday of the much-anticipated 10th-anniversary special-edition DVD of Apollo 13, it may be time to buckle up for a re-entry.

Dang! I should have waited for this release. I was disappointed that the current release didn't have much in extras, but bought it anyway about two years ago.

Archived