Decemberween

Pumapayam

You'd think people would respect Halloween for being the second greatest decorating related holiday of the year, but evidence of Christmas is surfacing.

The Hallmark Gold Crown store, where I bought a birthday card in mid August, already had 2 display cases dedicated to Christmas.

Driving towards the gym earlier this week revealed the Centre at Post Oak had Christmas decorations everywhere, with ornaments and garland wrapped around the Halloween Express sign no less.

29kxfg4.jpg

noa6ig.jpg

Nazaars Plaza had lazily left theirs up all year, but not even the power of Ike could strip them from their lamp post.

210bolt.jpg

2m5aww9.jpg

What early holiday abuse have you encountered? :blink:

I love Christmas and Christmas decorations. I'm one of those fools who will listen to the all-Christmas radio station every day once the format flips on. But I also enjoy Halloween, so the premature decorations turn me off.

Ideally, IMO, the commercial Christmas decorations should go up on Thanksgiving. But everything before October 31 should be Halloween. As for November 1-Thanksgiving... I dunno. I know that's now hardcore Christmas selling season, but I think it would be nice to celebrate Thanksgiving a little more, especially since it's one of the few secular holidays we have that brings families together.

You'd think people would respect Halloween for being the second greatest decorating related holiday of the year, but evidence of Christmas is surfacing.

The Hallmark Gold Crown store, where I bought a birthday card in mid August, already had 2 display cases dedicated to Christmas.

Driving towards the gym earlier this week revealed the Centre at Post Oak had Christmas decorations everywhere, with ornaments and garland wrapped around the Halloween Express sign no less.

Nazaars Plaza had lazily left theirs up all year, but not even the power of Ike could strip them from their lamp post.

What early holiday abuse have you encountered? :blink:

OMG I know it's crazy... the Lowes and Home Depot on the north loop have all of their Xmas stuff out... crazy!!

Those ornaments were probably the limited-edition ones that are marketed to collectors of a certain type of Hallmark ornament. Sometimes a discontinued or "retired" design is worth many times more than what the ornament cost originally.

I guess on a positive note, if you see a certain holiday decoration or item that you really like, BUY IT before the holiday draws near. Getting the item before it is snatched off the shelf is the perk in this case.

I do understand what Puma means by it being a tad annoying seeing a mummy next to a Christmas tree. <_<:)

Kind of like this mashing of two holidays into one.

nbcvillage.jpg

The River Oaks shopping center already has those big wreaths up.

I've gotten to where I don't even look forward to the holidays anymore. I'm so burned out by the time November gets here. It's relentless. Sunny 99.1 plays nothing but Christmas music for about two months. How many renditions of "Frosty the Snowman" can you hear?

Sometimes I just want to skip straight to spring.

Town & Country Village has already put their Christmas lights up, too. At least they don't have the giant lighted doves and wreaths out yet.....

Hobby Lobby, on the other hand, is a year-round offender. They always have Christmas junk in their store. And then they really start ramping it up around October 15th. It makes me want to burn the entire store down.

• 3 weeks later...

Bumping up the thread. I am sad to report my first spotting of a Christmas TV ad, yesterday, for Lowes. Featuring warm and happy people shopping for mechanized twinkle-light yard deer.

'Let's make something special together.' Barf. Can I please finish eating the halloween candy in peace?

Just bought a snow globe with Charlie Brown & Snoppy standing next to the decorated dog house. Plays all the Peanuts Christmas theme music and more. Press the button and the snow starts swirling all around.

"Hark the Herald Angels Sing" :lol:

charlieSnoopy.jpg

Bumping up the thread. I am sad to report my first spotting of a Christmas TV ad, yesterday, for Lowes. Featuring warm and happy people shopping for mechanized twinkle-light yard deer.

'Let's make something special together.' Barf. Can I please finish eating the halloween candy in peace?

And we even have "pre-Black Friday" deal too.

Just saw a Wal-Mart ad.

The city's been putting up the Christmas lights in the trees in my neighborhood for about a week now.

A couple of days ago the big Christmas tree went up in the plaza in front of my building, and the local model railroad club is busy building the huge Santa Mountain display in the basement.

Errr, Barf is right. There is a whole Christmas commercial genre of little blond children gazing excitedly at Christmas decorations. Me, I'm thinking of going to Turkey for the holiday, where there won't be much of it in evidence.

Those ornaments were probably the limited-edition ones that are marketed to collectors of a certain type of Hallmark ornament. Sometimes a discontinued or "retired" design is worth many times more than what the ornament cost originally.
Hey! If you want to recoup the money you lost on Beanie Babies, have I got an investment for you!

It's a moot point, anyway....according to the Internet, Christmas will be banned next year by the Muslim in the White House.

link

Archived