young single moving to houston

royal85

I am a 23 year old male that is moving to Houston soon for a new job and was curious what areas of the city would people suggest to live in?

Thanks for your time

Lease a relatively inexpensive centrally-located apartment for just a couple months. Use that time to find a job and get acquainted with the city. The odds are about 50/50 that you will actually work in central Houston. If you end up working in The Woodlands, Sugar Land, or the Energy Corridor, you'll may want to live closer to there. Otherwise, roadrunner's suggestions are good standbys.

I don't know what your professional background is...if you're making decent enough money, you might consider buying a home shortly after moving here. But again, these are decisions you'll want to make only after you've settled in.

I am a 23 year old male that is moving to Houston soon for a new job and was curious what areas of the city would people suggest to live in?

Thanks for your time

There's plenty of places in the city to choose from, but to make a good recommendation we need to know the following: How do you feel about long commutes? Where will you be working? Do you like to go out at night or stay home? Do you want to live somewhere that's high density or low density?

My budget is pretty flexible and My job will require me to travel all throughout the city. Looking for an area in the city with a younger business professional community with a exciting nightlife. Definately looking to have some fun and go out at night, when I am not working. I am not looking to be in the middle of downtown but somewhat centrally located.

Thanks

Its too much of an open ended question.

Budget is most important then later are the person's individal choices and where they would feel most comfortable. A young 23 year old may not fit in well in a mostly senior crowd for instance. How they feel about diversity, beliefs and the rest fall in.

Imagine if you grew up in an upscale neighborhood and were advised to live in, Ok... drum roll......

Gulfton hood? :lol:

My budget is pretty flexible and My job will require me to travel all throughout the city. Looking for an area in the city with a younger business professional community with a exciting nightlife. Definately looking to have some fun and go out at night, when I am not working. I am not looking to be in the middle of downtown but somewhat centrally located.

Thanks

I would recommend either the Med Center area because you could take the light rail to the Midtown and Downtown spots for the nightlife or the Galleria area for the mixed aged crowd with the nightlife options that you are looking for. You could rent in either of the places for a little bit to see how you like it but the downside to the Galleria area is the traffic getting in and out.

Thanks

Yes, go with roadrunner's suggestions. If you're going to be travelling for your job, being centrally located, because many times you will be going against the traffic. I'd go with Midtown for newer construction or Montrose for older funky stuff with character. They are adjacent areas, so it really doesn't matter.

Westchase

Westbury

Meyerland

Where not to live in (unless you wear bullet-proof shirts): Third Ward, Sunnyside, Bissonnet/Beechnut between Hwy 59 and the beltway.

my daughter goes to college in third ward:( ( is it worse than fifth ward?) she goes to TSU via "the Nappy".

my daughter goes to college in third ward:( ( is it worse than fifth ward?) she goes to TSU via "the Nappy".

Ha, I'd walk thru some of the worst parts of 3rd ward before venturing into the worst parts of "The Bloody 5th"...5th Ward is a lot more concentrated w/problems while 3rd ward has a lot of different pockets. There is no college campus in 5th ward....

Its all about the budget. I live off Washington and it seems to be the place to be for young proffesionals. You are looking to pay about 1100 for a one bedroom...

That area and Midtown are truly best places for singles. Don't see how anyone couldn't score in these places. :rolleyes: I mean make a nice, comfy living. :)

Archived