Construction On Dallas St.

CSOM

Does anyone know what the purpose of the construction on Dallas street is? For a few blocks in downtown, starting at about the Hyatt, past the Courtyard/Humble Apts and to (or through?) Houston Pavillions, the right lane has been torn up/removed, and a partial lane has been put in place, with alternating black & white colored surface, and small barrier bumps (similar to the light rail, but much lower so they appear able to be driven over). The new "lane" doesn't go through to the next block as there is a hard stop where the sidewalk/curb has been expanded out to fill up the rest of the lane before the light.

The only thing I can think of is that it is in someway a method to have a bus "lane" but not blocking up the right hand lane for those turning right? :blink: But if this is the case, wouldn't it create more congestion with buses having to "exit" and re-enter the through lanes constantly?

Anyway with any insights? (sorry, I don't have any pictures)

How is it better for traffic though? Won't that make it harder for buses to merge into traffic?

I think it is nice that they are putting trees down Dallas Street though.

10/17/08 update. Wow I went by around lunch and they literally planted the trees in the street along with some little bumps in the road.

• The title was changed to Dallas St. Construction
  • The title was changed to Construction On Dallas St.

Archived