Historic Houston Demolished Buildings

marmer

Thought it'd be fun to come up with a list of places where a significant structure or business was demolished, and now it's just a vacant lot -- development didn't work out for some reason.

Astroworld

Carousel House

1Waverly (Glassman Shoemake Maldonado house)

State Grille/Confederate House/Black Angus

Any more?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's see, just off the top of my head:

William Penn Hotel (well, development worked out - for a parking lot):

wp004.jpg

Houck house (lot was subdivided but half is still empty I believe):

gramercy3780_071208.jpg

Rettig house (Cambridge Tower was going to be built here, but I think it is on hold/fell through?):

wdbdem001.jpg

695 Rocky River:

rockyriver695_071208.jpg

2335 Underwood:

underwood2335_071208.jpg

and of course the Cohen/Carousel house like mentioned above:

moonlight9602_071208_3.jpg

Not Houston but close by... in Galveston.

Seahorse Motel (Thomas M. Price, 1956)

Moody Convention Center

SS Galveston Motel

The Seahorse and Moody convention center were bought by Fertitta and demolished. Once the lots were cleared, they were put back on the market. Some say it was because they were original Moody properties (some kind of power statement).

The SS Galveston was demolished to make way for condos that never happened.. all that remains on the property are a couple of palm trees.

I know all of these buildings were obsolete and deteriorating but I did hate to see them go.

post-3585-1224068029_thumb.jpg

Stables restaurant on Main (I think that was the name).

flipper

Oh yeah I dined there once with my wife on a Sunday night. We had gone sightseeing and stopped by to try it out. She knew it wasn't there anymore when she was craving steak about a year later. She went up and down Main between Braeswood and Shamrock/Pressler twice before calling me for directions. Well...Stables' gone with the wind.

Very depressing indeed!

I can think of 3 for now.

1. On Lawndale at Des Jardines across the street from where Stephanie's bar is, once stood a beautiful 2-3 story Edwardian turn of the century style palace. All that remains are the two big palms. They could have filmed movies there, no kidding.

2. Prince's Drive In at 45 and Cullen. All there is now are the two (sawn off by welders) posts of the sign that used to circle around and around luring worshippers like us to it.

3. On corner of Munger @ Dumble near Eastwood Transit center stood another magnificent Georgian/Palladian style 3-1/2 story mansion with large wrap around porch. Sure seemed like one. I remember playing in and around it since we knew the kid from class circa 1968. Torn down and there is a lousy gravel parking lot.

Man did Houston F up major, and we are still at it. Ok now I am angry. :angry::(

that area where 695 RockRiver is is one of the most forgotten areas of Houston that is awesome....the location and the houses and the fact that it is right in the middle of so much yet is so "off the beaten path is really great

I had some friends that lived in that area and it is really nice and peaceful yet it is right in the heart of where so much is going on

The Delman Theater, by the Sears on S. Main.

Another good one - the terrazzo is still there, too.

Next door was the McDonalds (as mentioned by infinite_jim above), and the drive-thru paint and dining area tile are still visible.

delman003.jpg

The Delman Theater, by the Sears on S. Main.

1. How can we forget The magnificent Broadway Theater on Broadway and what was supposed to be a new Frwy but it "simply never happened" grrrrrrrr :angry: See Bob Bailey pics and you will just plotz!

2. Princes Drive In on Main & Ruth street, just about 1 block from present (ugly) rail station. Its just a short field of grass. More grrrrrrr.

(Can still hear the juke box playing and aroma of a fresh cooked shrimp basket) -_-

There was some elementary school between West University Place and The Galleria area...there was a fence surrounding it, there were even signs of how it was Above Average in TAKS etc., but there was green space, possibly to become commercial. Does anyone know what I'm talking about, since I don't live in Houston and thus not as inept at describing things?

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&...mp;t=h&z=14

There was some elementary school between West University Place and The Galleria area...there was a fence surrounding it, there were even signs of how it was Above Average in TAKS etc., but there was green space, possibly to become commercial. Does anyone know what I'm talking about, since I don't live in Houston and thus not as inept at describing things?

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&...mp;t=h&z=14

You may be thinking of Will Rogers Elementary which was demolished (along with the HISD building) to make way for Costco/Greenway Commons:

http://www.houstonarchitecture.info/haif/i...?showtopic=2169

The empty block behind 1 Shell Plaza.

That lot was to have been the tallest building in Houston, until the bottom fell out in the bust of the 80's. That building's design was really awesome and would still be so today.

The gas station at the corner of Braeswood and Fannin in TMC. I'm sure it won't be vacant for long though.

Did they tear down that old fire station caddy corner from the Valero? What about the old Marriott Hotel Braeswood @ Greenbriar, on the bayou.

The whole Busch Gardens amusement park that existed until approx 1980? All rides were moved out or dismantled. Not sure if they even do the free beer tour anymore. Now Budweiser plant McCarty at 610/1-10 area or near to. Far East Houston

Dont ever recall the company even explaining to the public why it closed. -_-

On South Main:

Gateway Swimming Pool - a self storage place

Kiddie Wonderland - Kroger parking lot

Bowlaram on Braesmain - Target

Sonny Looks Sit Loin Inn - Russell and Smith parking lot

Angelo's Fisherman's Wharf- another self storage on S. Main

on Richmond Ave:

Windsor Cinerama - 24 Hr Fitness

those are just the ones that come to mind right now

Archived