The Comcast commercials with the plastic Sam

toadfroggy

Those Comcast commercials with the plastic Sam Houston and the disembodied voice--I don't get the gimmick. Are they supposed to be funny? Why is Sam white? Am I missing something or are they as lame as I think they are?

Ever seen the giant statue of Sam, near Huntsville. I think it's some sort of lame play on that.

I figured it was some weird allusion to the giant I45 statue, but I still don't see how that makes any sense in terms of selling what Comcast has to offer.

Being a nationwide company, I think they are trying to appeal to us locally. It's not workin' for me though.

What I find annoying is the way that Comcast drops ads for its TV service into the local ad slots on the cable channels.

Um... If I'm watching Comcast, then I don't really need Comcast service, do I? I guess that's a little too logical.

What I find annoying is the way that Comcast drops ads for its TV service into the local ad slots on the cable channels.

Um... If I'm watching Comcast, then I don't really need Comcast service, do I? I guess that's a little too logical.

Yeah, I don't get that, either. Before every HD on-demand episode of Mad Men is an ad for the SD broadcast episode of Mad Men. Who are they trying to sell to? People who really dislike the crystal clear picture, digital sound and convenience of HD on-demand?

I guess they just wanted to update their local mascot. Time Warner used the astronaut mascot, and Comcast used it when they were switching over in the begining. I like the commercials, I see them up here in Bryan/College Station when I watch abc13.

I just read an article that said Comcast will discontinue that commercial because a study showed viewers were annoyed by the character. The are replacing Sam with Billy Mayes, but only because the ShamWow guy was unavailable.

Get a DVR and you'll never be bothered by confusing commericals again. Maybe it's Comcast's way of selling their DVR service.

Tell me about it. I hardly ever see commercials anymore.

Comcast is supposed to come out this evening and fix my Ike affected service. I really have no confidence that it will be fixed though or that they will even show up.

• 2 weeks later...
Comcast is supposed to come out this evening and fix my Ike affected service. I really have no confidence that it will be fixed though or that they will even show up.

just switch to u-verse. i finally switched after not having comcast for 2 weeks after i had electricity. called them several times and they could never give me an estimate when my service was restored. should have done it a long time ago.

oh and don't forget you have to request credit for the days you didn't have service. they won't give it to you automatically.

Those Comcast commercials with the plastic Sam Houston and the disembodied voice--I don't get the gimmick. Are they supposed to be funny? Why is Sam white? Am I missing something or are they as lame as I think they are?

Like most of Comcast's commercials, simply stupid. But oddly and inexplicably they did have a brief break from that, the "Save a load of Benjamins" and "More bang for your buck" were some of the most genius commercials ever made. And yes, it is annoying and inexcusable for Comcast to spam its existing customers with so many bad commercials nonstop. One of the reasons why (along with the NFL Sunday Ticket) I've happily moved to Directv.

I just read an article that said Comcast will discontinue that commercial because a study showed viewers were annoyed by the character. The are replacing Sam with Billy Mayes, but only because the ShamWow guy was unavailable.

I vote Heights2Bastrop for best response of the day!

Funny

And yeah, the SH Statue is dumb, especially with the George Washington reference.

They are like 100 years apart.

• 4 months later...
Okay, they've finally gotten rid of those stupid Sam Houston commercials. What do y'all think about those new colorful, yet monotone commercials?

Sounds like that song from the movie Juno. I don't mind them, but they'll need more than commercials for me to switch back

Okay, they've finally gotten rid of those stupid Sam Houston commercials. What do y'all think about those new colorful, yet monotone commercials?

I haven't seen them yet. Are they Houston themed like Sam and the old astronaut ones from Time Warner/Comcast?

Archived