Jump to content
HAIF - Houston's original social media

Recommended Posts

I work from home and use my laptop constantly. since I have a small infant as well, I often work from my master bedroom.

I use my power adapter connector to the plug points in the room. The funny thing is, the plug point stops working after three days. I have to start using the next one. Then the next one stops working after 2-3 days. So I switch back to the first one.

This is VERY annoying for me.. esp coz all of a sudden my laptop battery stops charging and I have to remove the power adapter and plug it into a new plug point.

Any advise on how to diagnose what the problem is, will be very helpful.

Also my plumbing makes a lot of noise..e.g. when water is running upstairs or when someone flushes the toilet upstairs. Any suggestions will be most appreciated.

Link to post
Share on other sites
I work from home and use my laptop constantly. since I have a small infant as well, I often work from my master bedroom.

I use my power adapter connector to the plug points in the room. The funny thing is, the plug point stops working after three days. I have to start using the next one. Then the next one stops working after 2-3 days. So I switch back to the first one.

This is VERY annoying for me.. esp coz all of a sudden my laptop battery stops charging and I have to remove the power adapter and plug it into a new plug point.

Any advise on how to diagnose what the problem is, will be very helpful.

Also my plumbing makes a lot of noise..e.g. when water is running upstairs or when someone flushes the toilet upstairs. Any suggestions will be most appreciated.

plumbing is probably water hammer where air in the lines is being compressed and then expanding again making the pipes vibrate against the wall

easiest way to cure it is to put a capped 12" vertical riser in the pipes every so often that will trap the air and allow for the expansion and contraction to occur in a way that will not vibrate the pipes

water shock for an extended period of time can cause your pipes to wear through especially PVC if they are chaffing against a stud or flooring

sounds like your electrical has a wire that has broken in the wall or at the plug......how old is the house and what type of wiring is it....if it aluminium then you probably have a big issue....either way you need to have it checked immediately

Link to post
Share on other sites
Coz I have a brand new power adapter for my laptop. Also if it was the power adapter, then it would not work if plugged into a different plug point.

Yes...of course...you're right....brand new products are 100% guaranteed to work....look it up...its the 69th Law of Thermodynamics [tm]. Moreover, it isn't like power adapters have computer chips inside them that get reset when they're unplugged or anything like that.

Plug a lamp into the same outlet and see if it goes off when the power brick dies. I'm thinking the lamp is going to stay on since there's nothing wrong with the outlets.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have aluminum wiring (40 year old house) and have never had such problems.

Are the plugs you access on the same breaker or different circuits? If the same, the problem is with the outlet not the circuit, obviously. The problem may be with how long you use the outlet at one time rather than over consecutive days. When the failure occurs, feel the switch plate; if it's warm or hot, you have a problem. Or just take the switch plate off and see if the connections are good and tight.

I had an electrician tell me once aluminum wiring connections need to be checked every 6-8 months for looseness.

When an outlet fails, wait about 30 minutes and try it again (time to cool off if the wiring has overheated) instead of waiting 2 or 3 days.

Please post if you find the problem.

I've also had circuit breakers go bad but that doesn't sound like your problem if the breaker is not tripping.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Still trying to find the reason for this. I have never had this issue in the apartment that I used to live in jm1fd.

I do not have any idea of electrical systems or how they work or anything. Hence I was saying things as a layman. I do not re-call thermodynamics from college ;)

So if the lamp will stay on, why won't the power adapter? Your messgae does make sense now. I have this issue when I run the laptop on it's battery and try to re-charge the battery after an hour or so. It does not charge up. So I have to move to the next plug point in the room and it works

Is there any way other than UPS, to get the same power plug to keep working without interruption?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Still trying to find the reason for this. I have never had this issue in the apartment that I used to live in jm1fd.

I do not have any idea of electrical systems or how they work or anything. Hence I was saying things as a layman. I do not re-call thermodynamics from college ;)

So if the lamp will stay on, why won't the power adapter? Your messgae does make sense now. I have this issue when I run the laptop on it's battery and try to re-charge the battery after an hour or so. It does not charge up. So I have to move to the next plug point in the room and it works

Does a lamp stay on? It sounds like you just have a wonky laptop charger.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Still trying to find the reason for this. I have never had this issue in the apartment that I used to live in jm1fd.

So? The power adapter could've started malfunctioning after you moved.

So if the lamp will stay on, why won't the power adapter?

If the lamp stays on and the power adapter's output goes off then you're looking at about a 99.99% chance of the power adapter being defective.

Is there any way other than UPS, to get the same power plug to keep working without interruption?

STOP ASSUMING THAT THE OUTLET IS BROKEN. Plug a lamp in and find out for sure.

Edited by jm1fd
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Yes it did :)

Thank you all for your replies.

Well... what was at fault? I'm going with the power brick. :mellow:

I had an old one that I had to replace recently. The light just blinked and provided no power, so they do have some sort of smartness inside.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...