Things that no longer seem appropriate

RedScare

I posted in another thread that Cadillac's wretched excess ads seem a bit incongruous right about now. I thought I'd start a thread about other things that seem a bit out of place in today's economy.

1. The aforementioned Cadillac ads...both that chick in the CTS, and the dude who wants a bathroom in his Escalade. :huh:

2. Hummers. Been that way for awhile, but never more than now, for oh so many reasons.

3. TLC's Flip That House. Are you kidding me? How about Burn That House!

4. Stock picking software advertised on CNBC. Dude, I don't need a computer program to tell me when to SELL!

5. Real Estate infomercials. No money down? Really? Right.

6. Anything that says 'high end', 'upscale', or 'luxury'. Yeah, not after the AIG execs got their asses handed to them.

7. 'Traders'. Anyone who hung out in downtown watering holes in the late 90s was inevitably forced to endure the loud, drunken bragging of Enron energy traders, telling the entire bar how much money he made that day. The subset of traders is anyone who claimed to be invested in the market, telling you how much money their keen insight made them that day. Both have been replaced by the 'Crier', who tells you how much he LOST today. Criers are easier to take than Traders.

8. McMansions. Far from a conspicuous display of wealth, now McMansions have become a conspicuous display of the size of one's mortgage and electric bill.

Those are just a few (actually 8) off the top of my head. Feel free to add your own incongruous sights.

I used to listen to the Money Man Dan Frishberg on one of those whacky AM channels here in Houston. He was always saying everything is fine, everything is fine ... I haven't tuned in lately, but wondering what lies he's telling people now.

And please don't get me started on Mad Money Cramer.

8. McMansions. Far from a conspicuous display of wealth, now McMansions have become a conspicuous display of the size of one's mortgage and electric bill.

You know I often wondered how so many of those McMansions were selling... Now I understand that a lot of those folks were the same no-doc folks with bad or questionable credit as a lot of the low-income buyers. It's amazing.

While I ain't knocking it, I can't see having those huge mortgages, two or three zoned air conditioning units (running full-tilt mind you in the Houston summers), two luxury car payments, private school for the kids, maids, etc.

Funny that you guys mentioned this. I just got a brochure in the mail about Riverstone subdivision. Ok. No big deal, probably just an ad to buy the homes there. I open the brochure/ad and there were only six homes. It was called a "Tour of Luxury", with food catered by Tony's, Post Oak Grill, Ibiza, Kiran's, and Aura restaurant. Tickets were $50 to attend. Anyway, the homes ranged from 1.3 to 3.2 million. Damn, how in the heck did i deserve this brochure? They just wasted some nice paper.

7. 'Traders'. Anyone who hung out in downtown watering holes in the late 90s was inevitably forced to endure the loud, drunken bragging of Enron energy traders, telling the entire bar how much money he made that day. The subset of traders is anyone who claimed to be invested in the market, telling you how much money their keen insight made them that day. Both have been replaced by the 'Crier', who tells you how much he LOST today. Criers are easier to take than Traders.

There is (was) a group of these people at the Starbucks near me. Awful type of person. Every day they were there. Until about three weeks ago. One day they just disappeared, and the joint has been a lot nicer since.

There is (was) a group of these people at the Starbucks near me. Awful type of person. Every day they were there. Until about three weeks ago. One day they just disappeared, and the joint has been a lot nicer since.

It's really kinda sad. I mean, these business schools, firms, and society prop these folks up to be demi-Gods with their high incomes, nice pads, jobs, and clothes. They learn to equate money with self-worth.

Then when the bottom falls out (and their cash runs dry), as it inevitably does, they don't know what hit them or how to go out and apply for a gig at Target or Red Lobster (did I really use Red Lobster ... damn, I must be tired), and so they become depressed, suicidal, or both.

I think we're going to see a lot of cases of domestic abuse, suicide, and violence (not leading to death) in the near future. And if things get really bad, it is gonna be all our warfare among the rest of society as things deteriorate even further.

Someone mentioned Ike's aftermath being a prelude or dry-run for what's coming. I hope I'm wrong, but I think Ike was a going to be considered a cakewalk compared to folks having no money or lots of money not worth very much.

Heaven help us.

Then when the bottom falls out (and their cash runs dry), as it inevitably does, they don't know what hit them or how to go out and apply for a gig at Target or Red Lobster (did I really use Red Lobster ... damn, I must be tired), and so they become depressed, suicidal, or both.

Very true. I'll use my Starbucks observations again since I spend a lot of time there --

This time last year, things were pretty normal. Then around January there was a sudden influx of a lot of people asking for job applications. They were mostly black men and women in the 18-34 range or white men in their 20's. Based on how they were dressed it looked like they were looking for a second job. Job inquiries went from 1-2 a week to 3-4 a day.

Then in the last two months it's changed. The people applying for jobs are people who are looking for full-time jobs. They're much more nicely dressed. And lots of white women in their 20's and 30's. I tend to eavesdrop on interviews and a lot of them have full college educations and have been in the workforce for 5-10 years before whatever happened happened. I saw one the other day come in with a full suit and LV briefcase presumably from her previous job. Another one looked like a supermodel. It's definitely a different crowd vying for jobs in the service industry these days.

Job inquiries are so frequent that there's a table in every Starbucks now with brochures and a big fat stack of applications and pens. Some days I don't see any being filled out. But more than once I've seen five or even six people filling out applications at once.

There, but for the grace of God, go all of us.

Futures. (I mean the things traders trade). On so many levels, it downright poetic.

Outdoor living rooms.

People who work in the nonprofit and academic sectors dealing with poverty and homelessness have a term: 'informal living'. When it's time to move to the parks and underpasses, we can use the giant propane patio hogs, cushy furniture and outdoor rugs from the soon-to-be-abandoned mini-mansions. Or all those annoying bars on Washington.

I dunno, I'm betting you still have to wait for a table anywhere you go at any price range restaurant tomorrow night at 8.

flipper

That would be an interesting test. By tomorrow, this week should be the worst week on the DOW in history. I am curious how many people will feel poor enough (even though their paycheck is unaffected) not to want to spend money on a restaurant meal.

All who venture out, feel free to post here.

Futures. (I mean the things traders trade). On so many levels, it downright poetic.

Outdoor living rooms.

People who work in the nonprofit and academic sectors dealing with poverty and homelessness have a term: 'informal living'. When it's time to move to the parks and underpasses, we can use the giant propane patio hogs, cushy furniture and outdoor rugs from the soon-to-be-abandoned mini-mansions. Or all those annoying bars on Washington.

So... on a tangent... if you were going to be homeless tomorrow, what one item would you take with you when you start your new life under the bridge?

For me, it would have to be my laptop. I can always charge it and use the wifi at the library... at least in between sessions of bathing in the restroom sinks. I'd have to keep it in a crappy looking paper bag, though, so I don't get shanked for it.

So... on a tangent... if you were going to be homeless tomorrow, what one item would you take with you when you start your new life under the bridge?

For me, it would have to be my laptop. I can always charge it and use the wifi at the library... at least in between sessions of bathing in the restroom sinks. I'd have to keep it in a crappy looking paper bag, though, so I don't get shanked for it.

Some homeless people have dogs, editor has a mac.

flipper

p.s. the scene from Seinfeld where Kramer and Newman try to hire homeless people to pull the rickshaw just popped into my head. Potato Salad!

good girl!woof!

I'm going to assume by 'item' we mean things, not SOs and pets. Ive got both and would rather not choose.

My item is a dictionary. Not dependant on electricity, and I like words, so I'll never be bored. Oh, and we'll bring stuff to make a crude, homemade still.

This is a good thread. "Under the Bridge". Trying to think of what I can trade you for a few minutes on your laptop. Perhaps arrange some protection so you don't get shanked?

"Shopping":...HAHA, I don't even know the last time I used that word, or even went on a trip to buy something other than bare essentials, school supplies, etc. One just can't go out on a whim and splurge a bit at the store(s) of his/her choice (def not with credit, and all the spending allocations have been used up by other things).

Oh and yes: "Building Boom" and "Houston" have almost no chance of being stated in the same sentence in a long time.

As for most of the above, it is agreed. One thing that got my attention was "Outdoor living spaces"; of which we used to have one at our "family compound" (Yeah, where us uni progeny stay at, instead of paying for dorms, but I digress) , but the lack of funding/horrible summer weather/Ike have reduced the place to an overgrown, unkempt mess. The plants will grow back of course, and the furniture may finally be carted out of the garage, but a lack of time due to the need to work more (also, the fact that the "gardener" has classes to attend), as well as the lack of funding caused by the recent developments (the increase in fuel prices alone completely swallowed the budget) may not allow it to return to its former glory anytime soon.

I agree. The one item would be my Macbook. I can use it to check the Internet, communicate via email or free phone (Skype) calls to others, be entertained (movies, podcasts, and video podcasts ... much of it free). and as you mentioned, it might be a chore to communicate as I would have to hike to a school or library to use it, but at least I would be sheltered from the cold or heat and be able to be greatly informed and entertained.

Eating out

Going to the movies

Hanging out with friends in town

Crusin' the drag

Drinking alcohol (in public)

Fabricating designs

Going to visit family

Landline telephone service

Cable TV

Exploring Houston in general

Buying books

lotta stuff is not appropriate for me atm

:)

I wasn't alive in the late 70's but I've heard that hard economic times lead to wilder parties, any truth to this?

not me, we will steal the Suburban I have been paying on forever, load up the kids and some tents and move to Bakersfield and pick whatever the hell they grow there. I think my four year old is big enough to hold the bag while I toss oranges in it....ahhh the dustbowl!

not me, we will steal the Suburban I have been paying on forever, load up the kids and some tents and move to Bakersfield and pick whatever the hell they grow there. I think my four year old is big enough to hold the bag while I toss oranges in it....ahhh the dustbowl!

Yep! We've already figured out how to pack the truck with necessities for nomadic living. Good thing I always liked camping...

Landline telephone service

Cable TV

If I could ditch my security system and have one of those neat Internet security systems (I am checking into it, but would have to break my Brinks contract ...) I would ditch the land line.

Also, since my high speed Internet is tied to my cable that is kinda hard to ditch too. And honestly, I do like USA Network.

LOL

But, I do not have ANY premium channels and only have basic cable.

LOL

Yeah, and kids are lower to the ground so them being able to pick things will save your back!

Yep! We've already figured out how to pack the truck with necessities for nomadic living. Good thing I always liked camping...

I was watching some show and they showed this real tent city (I think it was somewhere in CA) that the government had set up. It was actually very organized and they even had security.

Wonder if that is the shape of things to come?

No longer appropriate: feeling entitled to massive stock market returns.

But having said that, ripping on Microsoft is no longer appropriate. They seem to be moving in a more "value added" direction instead of the "we'll just get 'em all on volume" mindset.

Just out of curiosity, how much money were they making?

Just out of curiosity, how much money were they making?

No idea. I never spoke to any of them, and they never spoke to anyone who wasn't part of their clique, except to say inappropriate things to pretty women walking by.

Archived