Sign in to follow this  
cbjulian

JPMorgan Chase Tower

I have been lurking for the last few months and finally decided to introduce myself. I am a native and homesick Houstonian in the Hill Country (Kerrville).

Feel free to take a look at my flickr page http://www.flickr.com/photos/30090334@N05/

Anyway, I will be coming home this weekend for the first time since Ike. My folks live on the west end of Galveston, so I will be helping them with some clean-up. I am also bringing my friend from California who has never been to Texas. I wanted to show her the sky lobby at Chase Tower but I am assuming it is still out of commission. Are the windows still boarded up? I haven't seen any recent pictures of "post-ike Houston." If the JPM tower is out, is the Wells Fargo observation deck open?

Any insight would be appreciated.

Edited by cbjulian
  • Like 1

Still boarded up. It's going to be weeks or months before the glass gets installed. Not sure about the observation deck. :(

• Like 1

I have been lurking for the last few months and finally decided to introduce myself. I am a native and homesick Houstonian in the Hill Country (Kerrville).

Feel free to take a look at my flickr page http://www.flickr.com/photos/30090334@N05/

Anyway, I will be coming home this weekend for the first time since Ike. My folks live on the west end of Galveston, so I will be helping them with some clean-up. I am also bringing my friend from California who has never been to Texas. I wanted to show her the sky lobby at Chase Tower but I am assuming it is still out of commission. Are the windows still boarded up? I haven't seen any recent pictures of "post-ike Houston." If the JPM tower is out, is the Wells Fargo observation deck open?

Welcome to HAIF. I'm sure your friend will still have fun with all the attractions around.

• Like 1

I am not absolutely certain, but I doubt if sky lobby windows were blown out. (1) The vast majority of the blown -out windows were on the east side of the building, while the sky lobby windows face south-ish. (2) The vast majority of the blown out windows were below the 45th floor. The sky lobby is at what, 60?

• Like 1

Welcome to HAIF. I just got back into Houston last week. This is my first week back since the Hurricane. I had to step out of the country but was able to watch the coverage on Fox and CNN. A buddy of mine works at Chase tower and said he thinks the sky lobby is open. I have tomorrow off and one of my soldiers is in town from San Antonio, I was thinking about showing him the sky lobbies and tunnels.

• Like 1

Here's a picture I took of it 2 days ago. As you can see its still in pretty rough shape, and prognosis negative on getting into the Sky Lobby. Even Wells Fargo still has some boarded windows.

post-4616-1224004764_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I am not absolutely certain, but I doubt if sky lobby windows were blown out. (1) The vast majority of the blown -out windows were on the east side of the building, while the sky lobby windows face south-ish. (2) The vast majority of the blown out windows were below the 45th floor. The sky lobby is at what, 60?

I can see that side of the tower from my office window and the sky lobby windows appear to be undamaged. I have no idea if you can get up there though.

• Like 1

Here's a picture I took of it 2 days ago. As you can see its still in pretty rough shape, and prognosis negative on getting into the Sky Lobby. Even Wells Fargo still has some boarded windows.

Wow. That's pretty telling that a month later it still looks the same. I bet the insides took a good thrashing.

• Like 1

Windows are still boarded up but the observation deck is open... my family was in town this past weekend and I took them up there. ^_^

• Like 1

Wow. That's pretty telling that a month later it still looks the same. I bet the insides took a good thrashing.

Yes, I was downtown right after the storm before they had a police presence and there was paperwork, staplers, and yes even desks strewn all over the street in a million pieces. That's probably why the police had the street blocked off for so long, because I'm sure there were all kinds of corporate secrets laying all over the streets.

• Like 1

I was talking to the manager of one of the other skyscrapers downtown (one with relatively very few windows damaged). He said it will take a long time (many months) to get all the windows replaced. Just takes a while to get those windows and get them installed.

• Like 1

The only thing I ever thought that it needed were places to sit and view, everything else seemed fine to me the many times I was up there.

• Like 2

I thought the observation deck was on the 60th floor not the 75th floor?

LOL   You noticed that too, eh?  

(It is on the 60th floor, not "atop the 75 story building" as the Chron would have you believe.)

Edited by Houston19514

It is NativeHoustonian.  I always remember the Royal Bank of Scotland's offices being up there too.  Wonder if they still lease that same space?

Not impressed at all. Personally, someone better than me should construct a miniature scale model of downtown or Houston within the observation view and place it in a case in the observation tower in order to have people try to place different landmark locations. Ash, birch or even Aspen hardwood floors would work better.

No clue what it was, several more showed up as well as ambulances and tahoes. It appeared that smoke was coming out of the top. They were out there for around an hour then just left.

No clue what it was, several more showed up as well as ambulances and tahoes. It appeared that smoke was coming out of the top. They were out there for around an hour then just left.

Six fire trucks show up at cvx tower every week

Sky lobby is shut down to the public until further notice.

I asked the front desk about it and they said the problem was that large groups were creating issues for the tenants. Basically, the people in the lobby would ask the group to stage outside, or in a specific location, and the groups were not following those instructions. They also mentioned that tenants were complaining of room in the elevators to access the upper floors that are only accessible via the express elevator to the sky lobby.

They left it open ended that it might be re-opened to the public again at a later date.

For the groups of 1 to 4 (mom, dad and kids) it sucks that larger groups have taken away this really cool feature. It was always fun to be in the elevator and hear the expressions a young child would make as the doors would open at the sky lobby.

This is stupid. Houston needs something like this. How can the Sears tower in Chicago handle tons of tourists, yet a few tenants here in Houston are complaining?

53 minutes ago, j_cuevas713 said:

This is stupid. Houston needs something like this. How can the Sears tower in Chicago handle tons of tourists, yet a few tenants here in Houston are complaining?

Hopefully it isn't permanent. the way they said it made me think they were going to close it till they came up with a solution to the complaints.

It is stupid, but it's also annoying needing to get on an elevator and walking into either the lower lobby, or the sky lobby and having it so packed that you can't get to an elevator. and the people blocking you aren't even trying to get on an elevator, they're just standing there. They do need to come up with a solution. They chose to close it while they are coming up with that solution. Hopefully the end solution isn't to leave it closed.

1 hour ago, j_cuevas713 said:

Sears Tower was designed and built specifically to handle tourists going to an observation level, with separate elevators and separate building entrances.  And the Sears Tower observation level was designed as just that. It's not an elevator lobby doubling as an observation room.

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 1

Is this the first time anyone can think of where tourism ruined something in Houston for the rest of us?  We've arrived!  Also, if it's the tour group company I am thinking of, this doesn't surprise me at all that they didn't follow instructions and were generally a hassle.    

• Like 1

2 hours ago, samagon said:

Hopefully it isn't permanent. the way they said it made me think they were going to close it till they came up with a solution to the complaints.

It is stupid, but it's also annoying needing to get on an elevator and walking into either the lower lobby, or the sky lobby and having it so packed that you can't get to an elevator. and the people blocking you aren't even trying to get on an elevator, they're just standing there. They do need to come up with a solution. They chose to close it while they are coming up with that solution. Hopefully the end solution isn't to leave it closed.

I don't know the elevator traffic amount but perhaps a solution is to have one elevator dedicated to tourists and have it clearly marked. Perhaps they can block all elevators to tourists during peak hour usage... morning hours, noon, and afternoon hours.

Sears Tower was designed and built specifically to handle tourists going to an observation level, with separate elevators and separate building entrances.  And the Sears Tower observation level was designed as just that. It's not an elevator lobby doubling as an observation room.

Even if you're trying to play devil's advocate for the lobby closing, you have to admit it is a big loss not to have this lobby open to the public. This is by far one of the top spots I take out of towners to awe them with the size and landscape of Houston. Brought a client from Boston here just 2 weeks ago and she just had to take photos of it all. Besides the tunnels and Discovery Green, that was one of her big moments in downtown. Even after I posted this news on my Facebook, a lot of people told me they were pissed off about this... I feel like they even redesigned this lobby to impress more people. Can't see why this place cannot function as both.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, adr said:

Also, if it's the tour group company I am thinking of, this doesn't surprise me at all that they didn't follow instructions and were generally a hassle.    

That's exactly what I was thinking.  We were above 60 for a decade or so before the tour companies started up, and the tourists weren't really a problem then - even the senior groups put together by various county commissioners or the occasional bunch of students.  OTOH, some of the commercial tour groups are a nuisance even on the streets - they just don't seem to know how to share.

Here's an idea, close the lobby to the public during business hours, and open it a few extra hours on the weekdays and general hours on the weekend!

During winter, I went right before it closed and snapped some awesome twilight pictures. A night view is equally as cool as a daytime.

edit: charge a small fee. Nothing outrageous like the Shard. Should cover the costs of security and such. They keep big towers like this A/C'd on the weekends right?

Edited by Montrose1100
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Montrose1100 said:

They keep big towers like this A/C'd on the weekends right?

No. But they can be.  Typically, if a tenant wants A/C on a weekend or holiday, it has to be scheduled and costs extra.

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 1

While Houston's tallest tower closes its observation deck, LA's tallest does this:

Is Cali really out can-doing us?

The closing of the branch in December will mark Chase's final departure from its namesake tower. Opened in 1982, the 75-story JPMorgan Chase Tower, formerly the Texas Commerce Tower, is both the tallest building in downtown Houston and the tallest building in Texas, according to the World Atlas. The company moved its offices from the building over a decade ago, Hassell said.

Seeing how we've had the prospect of renovations at other towers when major companies have left, I wonder if we'll see a renovation of the JP Morgan Chase Tower. 

I know Hines owns the building and they are building a brand new tower next door so they'll probably not want to compete with that. But it makes me wonder if Hines will consider in a few years if renovating their existing inventory would be cheaper than building a new tower.

(I personally wish the facade will change. Make it all glass but that's just a dream.)

• Like 1

At the very least I'd like to see them power wash the façade.  It's starting to look very grimy and black, and it's an embarrassment to the architect in this neglected state.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Triton said:

Seeing how we've had the prospect of renovations at other towers when major companies have left, I wonder if we'll see a renovation of the JP Morgan Chase Tower. 

I know Hines owns the building and they are building a brand new tower next door so they'll probably not want to compete with that. But it makes me wonder if Hines will consider in a few years if renovating their existing inventory would be cheaper than building a new tower.

(I personally wish the facade will change. Make it all glass but that's just a dream.)

Their offices left there a decade ago, this is just a branch bank. Only a decline in occupancy or weak rent growth typically sparks a renovation. You still have the best views of anywhere from inside there, plus an ideal location, so I imagine they are doing well.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, H-Town Man said:

Their offices left there a decade ago, this is just a branch bank. Only a decline in occupancy or weak rent growth typically sparks a renovation. You still have the best views of anywhere from inside there, plus an ideal location, so I imagine they are doing well.

Then perhaps a name change?

• Like 1

On 10/20/2018 at 5:35 PM, HoustonIsHome said:

They need to stop with those numbered names. So many buildings downtown are now referred to by numbers and now I'm completely lost :(

you mean having a building referred to by its address confuses you?

• Like 1

On 10/23/2018 at 4:58 PM, swtsig said:

Haha I was thinking the same thing lol

• Like 1

On 10/23/2018 at 4:58 PM, swtsig said:

Yes. Yes it does.

I mean if I'm going there I can just look up the address. But in haif if someone says Chase, BOA, Wells Fargo, I know exactly what building they are taking about. Tell me 600 Travis and I have to break out the Google maps

• Like 2

3 hours ago, HoustonIsHome said:

Yes. Yes it does.

I mean if I'm going there I can just look up the address. But in haif if someone says Chase, BOA, Wells Fargo, I know exactly what building they are taking about. Tell me 600 Travis and I have to break out the Google maps

I agree. I feel the same and don’t get me started on downtown block numbers. Those are even more confusing to me.

• Like 1