Sign in to follow this  
dbigtex56

Vice Presidential Debate

This topic has been created prior to the debate taking place. Please wait until the debate has finished before commenting.

She's done a whole lot better than I thought she would. They are coming at it from totally different angles though. It seems like Biden is doing all the attacking and Palin is just answering. I think she is doing well though, they both are. But I guess I'm more impressed with her because my expectations were so low. She has definitely been prepped and been studying a lot.

...but I want to stab myself in the eye every time I hear her say "nuke-u-lar". Please, someone tell her. How do smart people do that? I've known some incredibly smart, successful people who say it that way, and I just don't get it.

biden seems to be reacting more than attacking. the loud sigh by biden a few moments ago isn't a sign of someone in charge.

I agree, I think she is doing a good job. BUT the problem is she is doing a good job while not answering the questions. She goes way off into left field.

And I agree with you 20th, the way she says certain words is driving me up the wall!

Joe is kinda dry, and like I believe Mascbro said in the main thread, too "statesman like". And he needs to stop referring to himself in 3rd person.

CNN has the Ohio uncommitted voters reaction monitor on the bottom of the screen split into men and women, the men seem to like Palin while the women seem to favor Biden. Just interesting to me.

Edited by jayshoota

This topic has been created prior to the debate taking place. Please wait until the debate has finished before commenting.

They aren't listening to you. -_-

Do Alaskans typically sound like Minnesotans when they speak? It's kind of funny sounding. I have Alaskan family members, but I haven't seen them in a long time.

It is like putting the cookies out before dinner and saying wait until after dinner! Too hard to resist!

Do Alaskans typically sound like Minnesotans when they speak? It's kind of funny sounding. I have Alaskan family members, but I haven't seen them in a long time.

OMG I thought that too! ha ha

Ah, well. The running commentary is entertaining.

Have at it. :)

It's not just Minnesotans, people in the Dakotas, Wyoming, and Montana talk like that too.

I am amused with Biden going 3rd person on himself. Reminds me of Rickey Henderson (only older hard core baseball fans will know what I'm talking about).

She just said she wanted to continue Cheney's attempt to expand the powers of the VP and that the Constitution allows for it! Now that is scary.

Seems like Palin is looking down a lot... my guess is at notes... not a big surprise since she probably needs help w/ stuff... it just looks bad.

She just said she wanted to continue Cheney's attempt to expand the powers of the VP and that the Constitution allows for it! Now that is scary.

OMG NO!!!

Biden's closing statement was terrific... Palin's was... well, weird.

...but I want to stab myself in the eye every time I hear her say "nuke-u-lar". Please, someone tell her. How do smart people do that? I've known some incredibly smart, successful people who say it that way, and I just don't get it.
And I agree with you 20th, the way she says certain words is driving me up the wall!

Same here. What's so difficult about saying 'noo-clee-air' instead of 'nook-you-ler'?

Her habit of saying "kinda" and "sorta" is irritating. Not only is it inprecise, it's too darn folksy-cute. Ya know what I mean? Doggone it, you betcha.

Palin was looking at notes. I am not sure that is very presidential, but at least she has something to back up her thoughts. Better to have them, than look like a complete fool.

Anyhow, I thought Biden was awesome.

More importantly, I thought Gwen Ifill was fair and balanced with both candidates and didn't play partisan politics.

OMG who are all of these people rushing up on the stage. And that daughter carrying around her baby is just kinda weird.

Palin was looking at notes. I am not sure that is very presidential, but at least she has something to back up her thoughts. Better to have them, than look like a complete fool.

Anyhow, I thought Biden was awesome.

More importantly, I thought Gwen Ifill was fair and balanced with both candidates and didn't play partisan politics.

OMG who are all of these people rushing up on the stage. And that daughter carrying around her baby is just kinda weird.

Their families.

Reminds me of Rickey Henderson (only older hard core baseball fans will know what I'm talking about).

:lol: A buddy of mine does perfect Ricky-speak. Never fails to crack me up.

Those low expectations of Palin must be lower than I thought. She's not doing well. She's talking in circles, not answering questions, using bad syntax. She's not taking the shots at Biden she should be, because she doesn't have the knowledge. She continually undermines her own arguments. She has had no response on how McCain would do anything fundamentally differently than Bush. Biden needs to quit smirking. He's doing OK at attacking McCain and not her, but the smirky faces are bad form. It is really off-putting.

And, doggone it, I know this is horribly mean and petty, I'm about as tired of his dead wife and kids teary eyes as I am McCain was a POW and he can only lift his arms so high.

You betcha!

I was wondering why Gwen Ifill (the moderator) was still sitting. Didn't know she was on crutches right now?

Does anyone know what happened to her?

I was wondering why Gwen Ifill (the moderator) was still sitting. Didn't know she was on crutches right now?

Maybe someone tried to pull a Jeff Guilloly act in order for her not to be the moderator tonight since the excerpt in her book.

From a personal standpoint, the MILF did very well and talked about what she and McSame would do if elected. However, when you look at the debate with the discussion about policies , the MILF was steamrolled. Wasn't the strategy of the MILF before going into this debate to attack Obama? If it was, i didn't see much of that.

Edited by sifuwong

Maybe someone tried to pull a Jeff Guilloly act in order for her not to be the moderator tonight since the excerpt in her book.

Probably Sean Hannity or Rush Limbaugh... I know the thought of a black man in the White House has them terrified.

Well we all know Joe Biden had nothing to prove, except maybe that he could control himself, and not get off on a binge. Joe did exceptionally well, he stumbled only once when she countered him on what Mcclelland said today, Joe had no comeback. And the human part of Joe came out when it came to talking about the single parent thing. Not sure where he pulled the part out of where anyone insinuated that he didn't understand that position, and he had to pause to gather his emotions, but he rallied well after that.

Palin stumbled several times, and it seems she had to harp on the "putting his campaign on hold" crap three times, which she should have been coached to not even go there. But she held her own, but her threshold was pretty low to start with. She had more substance than I am sure a lot of people were expecting. The fact that she stood up and said everybody needed to take some personal responsibility in what is going on with the financial crisis. Whether is as Fannie or Freddie, people still bit off more than they could chew by choice. Mostly bad choices. I think she scored a home run with that line. Personal responsibility is huge.

No matter how good she did in this debate or not, does not change her limited experience. It may show she's a quick study, and not a total ditz. But at least it wasn't some orchestrated BS speech. She had notes, as well did Joe. She seemed to do well.

The Moderator did exceptionally well, kept control of the debate, and stuck to the format. She did a lot better than the Presidential Mod did. I was pleasantly surprised, she should do the next one, I don't care what book she's got out.

The Moderator did exceptionally well, kept control of the debate, and stuck to the format. She did a lot better than the Presidential Mod did. I was pleasantly surprised, she should do the next one, I don't care what book she's got out.

Gwen always does a great job. I love her podcasts (I think it's This Week In Washington). She's knowledgeable, respectful, funny (how many news people can you say that about), and genuinely loves what she does.

I have been hearing about this book, but I doubt I will read it anyhow.

She broke her ankle.

Overall, pretty good. The expectations for Palin were set so low, that just being able to string two sentences together was a big boost for her.

Palin

1.) Thinking that you're the only one in America who has family "issues" and the fact that you are a "hockey mom" that raise you to a level higher than all others, including making you uniquely qualified to be VP. Joe Biden's response was genuine, and quite frankly he's had to deal with more serious family issues as a father. Hopefully, this will put to rest all the "I've got a special needs child!" and "I'm a mom!" garbage. And Wanda Sykes was right... if Palin gets into office - those kids are going to be carted off into day care, other care takers ASAP. Mommy has to work - just like all the other moms in America.

2.) Your claim that you like debates like this, because you're not "filtered" in the media. Couple of items here... a.) Catie Couric did not need to apply any filter. You can't even name any newspapers you read. How the hell is "the media" filtering your response - when you don't even give a response?! b.) This was a media event, moderated by a person in the media. You're idiot if you cannot understand that.

3.) Overuse of the word "Maverick." Is John McCain a maverick? Are you a maverick? Hey - why don't you tell us again! All fluff.

4.) That stupid snickering wink.

5.) Likes "less government" "equal rights" - but not for gay people. What a load of crap.

Biden

1.) Disappointed in his response about gay marriage. He's going to speak at HRC in DC this weekend! That'll go over well. Luckily, I am not an HRC fan, at all. When I hear those kind of responses from Democrats... I don't want to vote for them either, but they are definitely better than the Republican alternatives.

EDIT: Forget to answer the question: Biden won.

Edited by BryanS

Palin

2.) Your claim that you like debates like this, because you're not "filtered" in the media. Couple of items here... a.) Catie Couric did not need to apply any filter. You can't even name any newspapers you read. How the hell is "the media" filtering your response - when you don't even give a response?! b.) This was a media event, moderated by a person in the media. You're idiot if you cannot understand that.

3.) Overuse of the word "Maverick." Is John McCain a maverick? Are you a maverick? Hey - why don't you tell us again! All fluff.

I agree w/ you here... the media does not have to filter Palin... she makes a fool of herself on her own. I am so tired of that "evil liberal media" crap. It's getting so old. And of course the ones who complain about it the most are the folks on Fox News which makes them hypocrites since they are conservative media.

As for "maverick"... ok, it's a nickname, it's cute, and yes McCain is a bit of a maverick, but repeating it over and over makes it seem like you have nothing else good to say about him. It's like Bush and "resolve"... we get it Bush, America has RESOLVE... pick another word! :rolleyes:

Like I said before, the defining moment for the entire debate, was the fact when she uttered the words, "Take more personal responsibility for your financial decisions". She is the first politician of any kind I've heard ring that most true point clear. All the rest are trying to place blame everywhere else, and never addressing that bottom line.

Remember those words........."Take more personal responsibility for your financial decisions".

I do have to call BS on Joe's statement on taking "10 years to get one drop of Oil from any wells drilled today on the ANWAR." This I can tell you with absolute first hand certainty, I have written an excess of 40 Well Plan Prognosis' and AFE's. From Spud to Production it will take a maximum of 18 months on even the most problematic wells. That's day one of drilling to in the production pipeline. 10 years is horse-crap, 100%. That is rhetoric because he has no clue. I have overseen many wells on the north slope and know the timeline by heart. Most wells actually average 8-10 months total.

I am researching some of these voting records that were disputed, the archives are long, but I am pretty sure he was not factual on at least 4 of them.

1.) Disappointed in his response about gay marriage. He's going to speak at HRC in DC this weekend! That'll go over well. Luckily, I am not an HRC fan, at all. When I hear those kind of responses from Democrats... I don't want to vote for them either, but they are definitely better than the Republican alternatives.
I thought that was an interesting response. I am all for gay marriage (why not... who am I to decide who should or shouldn't be married, after all), but I actually didn't mind his answer. I thought he was drawing a clear and useful distinction between civil matters and religious matters. For all civil purposes, he would allow gay couples the same rights as straight couples. But he is saying it's not up to government to define "marriage." If they're willing to back that up, and not STAND IN THE WAY of a church that marries gays, then fine. And I think they can do that... just keep saying it's not up to government to decide who is married (in the eyes of god). If you are in a long-term committed relationship, you deserve the same priveleges.

Seems fair. Am I wrong?

Probably Sean Hannity or Rush Limbaugh... I know the thought of a black man in the White House has them terrified.

How disgustingly racist of you.

To silence your racist accusation, either one of them are foaming at the mouth for Colin Powell to be president. Someone who, by the way, is literally twice as "black" as Obama is.

I thought that was an interesting response. I am all for gay marriage (why not... who am I to decide who should or shouldn't be married, after all), but I actually didn't mind his answer. I thought he was drawing a clear and useful distinction between civil matters and religious matters. For all civil purposes, he would allow gay couples the same rights as straight couples. But he is saying it's not up to government to define "marriage." If they're willing to back that up, and not STAND IN THE WAY of a church that marries gays, then fine. And I think they can do that... just keep saying it's not up to government to decide who is married (in the eyes of god). If you are in a long-term committed relationship, you deserve the same priveleges.

Seems fair. Am I wrong?

As a gay I totally agree... I don't care what they call it I would just like to be able to have the same rights granted to straight married couples. That's just my opinion of course.

How disgustingly racist of you.

To silence your racist accusation, either one of them are foaming at the mouth for Colin Powell to be president. Someone who, by the way, is literally twice as "black" as Obama is.

*yawn*

Wanda Sykes was right... if Palin gets into office - those kids are going to be carted off into day care, other care takers ASAP. Mommy has to work - just like all the other moms in America.

I'm pretty sure dad will be available.

*yawn*

Touche.

Like I said before, the defining moment for the entire debate, was the fact when she uttered the words, "Take more personal responsibility for your financial decisions". She is the first politician of any kind I've heard ring that most true point clear. All the rest are trying to place blame everywhere else, and never addressing that bottom line.

Remember those words........."Take more personal responsibility for your financial decisions".

I definitely heard her also blame lenders and politicians somewhere in the words she poured out. It's not unlike her to contradict herself in the very next breath.

She didn't answer most of the questions, she just polished her talking points with facts. But for having improved so much in fluency, I will give her this one.

Depending on how one defines "winning" the debate, Palin won or she didn't. After the Couric interview, anything above stone silence would be considered a win for Palin. She easily passed that test.

As for winning head-to-head, it frankly was not even close. Biden showed his wealth of knowledge on the subjects discussed, regardless whether one agrees with his position. Palin often veered toward the McCain talking points, or many times, off into an entirely different subject, rather than answer the question. She even told Ifill early in the debate that she would not answer the question asked, but instead the one she wanted to talk about. On that basis, she was beaten handily.

Of course, we all know that presidential or VP debates aren't scored the way they are in school. So, I would imagine the Obama campaign is very pleased that Biden made no major gaffes, and also did not make a victim out of Palin. The McCain campaign must be relieved that Palin was still standing at the end, and answered every question, no matter what she said. I doubt either candidate moved the polls in any direction.

EDIT: Sorry, double post.

Edited by RedScare

Depending on how one defines "winning" the debate, Palin won or she didn't. After the Couric interview, anything above stone silence would be considered a win for Palin. She easily passed that test.

As for winning head-to-head, it frankly was not even close. Biden showed his wealth of knowledge on the subjects discussed, regardless whether one agrees with his position. Palin often veered toward the McCain talking points, or many times, off into an entirely different subject, rather than answer the question. She even told Ifill early in the debate that she would not answer the question asked, but instead the one she wanted to talk about. On that basis, she was beaten handily.

Of course, we all know that presidential or VP debates aren't scored the way they are in school. So, I would imagine the Obama campaign is very pleased that Biden made no major gaffes, and also did not make a victim out of Palin. The McCain campaign must be relieved that Palin was still standing at the end, and answered every question, no matter what she said. I doubt either candidate moved the polls in any direction.

Couldn't agree more, Red.

Biden won the debate, but that was expected. Palin succeeded in that she did well considering all that has gone wrong over the past few weeks. Nobody expected her to "win" the debate, it was just whether she could do well against Biden. I think they both did what their campaigns hoped they would.

I definitely heard her also blame lenders and politicians somewhere in the words she poured out. It's not unlike her to contradict herself in the very next breath.

There's blame to go around for everyone.....

What she said was not a contradiction in any way whatsoever, but she brought forth the final piece of the puzzle, and had the gall to say it out loud, what no other politicians has had the balls or intestinal fortitude to say. There is a lot of factors to blame in the crisis, but bottom line nobody held a gun to anyone's head to take on that loan they new good and well they couldn't afford. Nobody held a gun to their heads to falsify documentation, to give the appearance that they could afford that loan. Every bit of that falls under personal responsibility. If you believe any different well I guess that's your opinion.

Now the fact that these Mortgage brokers and lenders don't verify those documents or bend credit score criteria, just to get that commission, is directly the fault of the Lender and or Mortgage Broker.

And the bigger banks that failed to follow up on the investigation of the borrowers, and when they sell off this bad paper by camouflaging them in with a package deal with good paper.

And then all the way back to Fannie and Freddie for buying up all this bad paper, knowing good and well they had markers in congress they could pull in to insure they were bailed out.

And finally all those Politicians that took that money and promised favors, knowing full good and well that this house of cards was going to fall sooner or later, since they were warned by three different people over the last 10 years.

Did I leave anybody out?

I wish Palin would answer questions though instead of trying to match scripted talking points to questions. Many times it just seem weird when the scripted points totally didn't match up to what was being asked, even though it was delivered nicely.

I haven't watched to whole thing yet, but Palin is doing much better than I expected. That's really all she has to do, I think.

I find it hard to watch her now, though. She looks too much like Tina Fey.

What she said was not a contradiction in any way whatsoever, but she brought forth the final piece of the puzzle, and had the gall to say it out loud, what no other politicians has had the balls or intestinal fortitude to say. There is a lot of factors to blame in the crisis, but bottom line nobody held a gun to anyone's head to take on that loan they new good and well they couldn't afford. Nobody held a gun to their heads to falsify documentation, to give the appearance that they could afford that loan. Every bit of that falls under personal responsibility. If you believe any different well I guess that's your opinion.

If you're not taking personal responsibility, who is to blame? Predatory lenders? They share blame, but she did say who was and who wasn't at fault. This is just word salad.

A few observations:

They (Palin & Biden) both had notes, and did refer to them, big deal, I expected that.

Both were respectful and truthful and stuck to their campaign's talking points, I expected that, too.

The moderator, Gwen Ifill, did a very good job, much better than other talking heads have, didn't know what to expect.

I believe Palin more than held her own against a lifetime Washington insider, and I was very proud of her tonight.

Funniest part of the night to me was when Palin once mentioned Wasilla, Biden tried to out "small town" her with references to Scranton, Wilmington, Katie's Cafe, kitchen table, gas station and Home Depot. Or when he referred to himself in the third person several time, reminded me of a Seinfeld episode I saw once. That was kinda weird, who does that, anyway?

Overall hands-down clear victory winner tonight: Sarah Palin, but I'm sure you all expected that! :D

If you're not taking personal responsibility, who is to blame? Predatory lenders? They share blame, but she did say who was and who wasn't at fault. This is just word salad.

I guess you watched a different debate than I, I thought she laid blame just like I broke it down.

PALIN: Darn right it was the predator lenders, who tried to talk Americans into thinking that it was smart to buy a $300,000 house if we could only afford a $100,000 house. There was deception there, and there was greed and there is corruption on Wall Street. And we need to stop that.

Again, John McCain and I, that commitment that we have made, and we're going to follow through on that, getting rid of that corruption.

PALIN: One thing that Americans do at this time, also, though, is let's commit ourselves just every day American people, Joe Six Pack, hockey moms across the nation, I think we need to band together and say never again. Never will we be exploited and taken advantage of again by those who are managing our money and loaning us these dollars. We need to make sure that we demand from the federal government strict oversight of those entities in charge of our investments and our savings and we need also to not get ourselves in debt. Let's do what our parents told us before we probably even got that first credit card. Don't live outside of our means. We need to make sure that as individuals we're taking personal responsibility through all of this. It's not the American peoples fault that the economy is hurting like it is, but we have an opportunity to learn a heck of a lot of good lessons through this and say never again will we be taken advantage of.

Am I missing something,

Certainly, she redeemed herself, but the voter will look at the issues which is what it comes down to. Biden had it covered in the debate as expected. When it comes time to vote, people will remember what Biden kept saying, "John McCain voted against...", "John McCain was not a maverick on issues that count...."John McCain has no end to the war...", etc, etc. He was just hammering McCain.

Edited by sifuwong

Or when he referred to himself in the third person several time, reminded me of a Seinfeld episode I saw once. That was kinda weird, who does that, anyway?

Bob Dole.