Old Mexico Inn Restaurant At 210 West Gray St.

Heights2Bastrop

I saw this building today on the SW corner of Gray and Gillette. I don’t exactly recognize it as such, but I think this used to be a Mexican restaurant called Old Mexico back in the 50s. Coming from the Heights, we would pass a long line of row houses along Gray, and Old Mexico would be just beyond them. The houses are gone, so I don’t have that reference anymore.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v123/olphart/Around%20Town/NOTOldMexico.jpg

I used to live near that building. It was nothing but trouble. It has a dodgy liquor store and a "cantina." The later always had hookers hanging out outside and too many vans in the parking lot (if you know what I mean).

In 1969, Old Mexico Restaurant was listed at 120 Gray, across the street from Alexander Tent & Awning. Several lounges and car repair shops were there too.

Down the way at 402 was S. E. Teaff. That's T- E- A- F- F !! Remember their commercial? Oh to have a Frederich Air Conditioner- you had arrived.

610 was Eastman Kodak Company

1500 were the offices of John W. Mecom Oil Company

• 2 months later...
I saw this building today on the SW corner of Gray and Gillette. I don’t exactly recognize it as such, but I think this used to be a Mexican restaurant called Old Mexico back in the 50s. Coming from the Heights, we would pass a long line of row houses along Gray, and Old Mexico would be just beyond them. The houses are gone, so I don’t have that reference anymore.

OldMexico.jpg

Too bad this building is in such shabby shape; a careful examination shows that it probably once had some very nice architectural details. The doorway surrounds are especially pleasing.

Too bad this building is in such shabby shape; a careful examination shows that it probably once had some very nice architectural details. The doorway surrounds are especially pleasing.

Very strange building but it does appear to have been around for a long, long time. Too bad the windows were covered over, which really completes the cheesy look. In fact, what it looks like is a giant block of government cheese :)

That area of W. Gray has so much potential as the pivot point for 4th Ward, Midtown and Montrose. I seriously doubt if this building will survive but actually it could be transformed into a pedestrian-friendly strip mall as the front is so close to the sidewalk.

• 9 months later...

Everytime I use to drive downtown on washington, I always picture what I saw a year or so ago... A woman and man were arguing, and the woman stormed off and was crying and the man ran after he and grabbed her, turned her around, and kissed her. (how romantic).

The tongue was a pin? Gee, nice toy for kids.
Getting pricked by the pin added to the realism of the snake. You held it by the tail, and the way you moved the tail dictated the way the body of the snake moved. If you dipped your hand quickly, the snake would just as quickly straighten out and "strike" at the other person.

They were really neat, but I was never allowed to have one. My parents really depraved me of a lot of fun stuff.

• 1 year later...

Does anyone remember Old Mexico Restaurant. I remember going there and they had HUGE plates of food, like the inside of that ZZ Top album. It had a tower and I remember that it had a fire in 70s. Firemen were said to have found espionoge stuff and the wall full of money. My dad said the owner was a spy or something. Great Food though!

Does anyone remember Old Mexico Restaurant. I remember going there and they had HUGE plates of food, like the inside of that ZZ Top album. It had a tower and I remember that it had a fire in 70s. Firemen were said to have found espionoge stuff and the wall full of money. My dad said the owner was a spy or something. Great Food though!

Well, not too many people would expect a Mexican restaurant to have spy stuff.

• 10 months later...
Does anyone remember the Old Mexico Inn on West Gray? It was one of my favorite places to eat in the 40's. They had a large parott on a perch on the front court as you entered the restaurant. Great Food. :rolleyes:

Yes, I remember it...ate there the last time in the late '60's.

It would be interesting to see what now stands in its place?

What's somewhat peculiar is that most of the crowds were closer to the central downtown area. West Gray must have seemed a bit away from the action in the 40's. Interesting nonetheless. I will ask some family to see if they remember this place. I would love to see a real parrot when I enter a restuarant not a plastic or stuffed one like nowadays. :lol:

It would be interesting to see what now stands in its place?

What's somewhat peculiar is that most of the crowds were closer to the central downtown area. West Gray must have seemed a bit away from the action in the 40's. Interesting nonetheless. I will ask some family to see if they remember this place. I would love to see a real parrot when I enter a restuarant not a plastic or stuffed one like nowadays. :lol:

What stands in it's place are those big apartments that have shops and restaurants on the first floor along the sidewalk. Old Mexico was on the block bounded by Gray, Baldwin, Valentine, and Webster. It is an odd shaped block because Valentine cuts through at a diagonal. Here is a photo of the patio:

Old_Mexico_Restaurant_Patio.jpg

What stands in it's place are those big apartments that have shops and restaurants on the first floor along the sidewalk. Old Mexico was on the block bounded by Gray, Baldwin, Valentine, and Webster. It is an odd shaped block because Valentine cuts through at a diagonal. Here is a photo of the patio:

Old_Mexico_Restaurant_Patio.jpg

Surely we can recreate something cool like this 50 plus years later! Parrots included! :D

Check out the candles? as a center piece and those chairs will straighten out any back. Therapuetic but painful after a few minutes. :lol:

• 4 months later...

To the person that furnished the inside picture of the Old Mexico Restaurant on West Gray, THANK YOU! It really brought back some wonderful times that I had with my family going there for dinner in the 1940's . As to the mention of a parrot when you entered the restaurant, there was one. He sat on a parrot stand in the little entry garden just before you got to the main door. He had several phrases that he would utter as you entered. It was such a treat to go there to see the parrot and to taste the wonderful enchilladas with the dark mole sauce. Again, thank you for the photo. Patricia :wub:

My "Big 3" for Mexican food as a kid in the 50s was Old Mexico, Santa Anita downtown and Del Rio on N Shepherd. The building that was Del Rio is still there. It was a couple of blocks south of the North Loop in a brown building that is now (or was) an electronics shop.

My "Big 3" for Mexican food as a kid in the 50s was Old Mexico, Santa Anita downtown and Del Rio on N Shepherd. The building that was Del Rio is still there. It was a couple of blocks south of the North Loop in a brown building that is now (or was) an electronics shop.

Is this it?

O&E Electronics

I seem to recall a previous thread where someone mentioned that another business once occupied this building before it was an electronics shop, but I can't remember what it was.

Archived