LA Time Article Regarding Cowboys Stadium

Interesting statement:

"The Cowboys have never been about checkered tablecloths and boots and hats," Jones says. "They've been about glitz and glitter. Leave the other stuff to the Houston Texans."

I don't know whether or not to be offended by that. Then again, I don't think we take ourselves as seriously as the multitude of the thirtythousandairs there.

There may have been a time when I might have been envious of a stdium like this. Now, I am simply happy that I am not a taxpayer in Arlington. I wonder, if Jones were forced to have his stdium proposal on the ballot this November, as opposed to several years ago, whether Arlington residents would think this is a good use of their tax dollars. An economic crisis can change viewpoints on the value of a lot of things.

I'm just glad that I am not the moron that shelled out $300,000 for a pair of PSLs.

Glitz and glamour? Because that's what immediately comes to mind when you think football and Dallas, TX. Yeah ok. I constantly hear people refer to Dallas Cowboys and their fans as nothing more than redneck. I saw a video online about a year ago of some hillbilly Cowboys fans tailgating at their stadium and fans of the opposing team calling them rednecks. Dallas' image in fact is the epitome of cowboy boots and hats. But if that guy wants to think otherwise, so be it.

How long do you all suppose this thread will last? :lol:

It's Jerry Jones. Take it for what it's worth. Surely, it's a friendly jab, as he genuinely likes Bob McNair, and of course is pretty hypocrtical, given what the Cowboys cheerleaders wear.

I would imagine that someone told Jerry that his comments might probably offend a number of his own fanbase, who surely wear boots and cowboy hats and don't mind checkerboard table cloths on picnic tables.

Anyway... no biggie.

I don't disagree with what he said necessarily I just don't know why he had to refer to Houston (of all places) as an example of a place that is different from Dallas. The two cities are very similar in lots of ways, not the least of which is a unique compulsion for building state of the art stadiums.

It's Jerry Jones. Take it for what it's worth. Surely, it's a friendly jab, as he genuinely likes Bob McNair, and of course is pretty hypocrtical, given what the Cowboys cheerleaders wear.

I would imagine that someone told Jerry that his comments might probably offend a number of his own fanbase, who surely wear boots and cowboy hats and don't mind checkerboard table cloths on picnic tables.

Anyway... no biggie.

Jones was instrumental in convincing the NFL to give Houston the 32nd franchise instead of LA.

Glitz and glamour? Since when? I played more of my highschool football games in Texas Stadium than in our school stadium. At first we were really excited but then we realized what a dump it was. Horrible.

Being from the area I am happy for the Cowboys and the people of Arlington. It is going to be an amazing place however there is no need to trash other cities. Just remember, somebody is always going to build something better within a few years.

Having recently seen the immense size of the new stadium, I am kind of glad it is not in Fair Park.

A stadium of that size and scale would have completely overwhelmed the historic structures that are there today.

However it would have looked awesome in the originally proposed South Industrial site next to the Trinity River.

In the end, I am glad that Arlington is footing the bill for this superstructure that will be primarily surrounded by parking lots and only used a few times a year.

It will bring more national recognition to the city of Arlington, perhaps making the investment worthwhile; all the while "Dallas" will gets recognition without having to fund anything; and of course the Cowboys organization will profit greatly.

Maybe not ideal, this arrangement does provide some benefit to most of the involved parties. (Irving?)

I just don't know why he had to refer to Houston (of all places) as an example of a place that is different from Dallas.

Because that's the way it is here in "gool ol' Texas". You can't say a positive thing about your own city without bringing down another. Seriously, is there any other state like this? I don't think L.A. and San Fransico even have this type of rivalry. It's one of the things I hate about this state. If I ever leave the Houston region, I've already made up my mind that I'm bolting from Texas altogther.

Because that's the way it is here in "gool ol' Texas". You can't say a positive thing about your own city without bringing down another. Seriously, is there any other state like this? I don't think L.A. and San Fransico even have this type of rivalry. It's one of the things I hate about this state. If I ever leave the Houston region, I've already made up my mind that I'm bolting from Texas altogther.

All places are like this - North vs. South CA are as bad or worse. Just ask a person from the Bay area what they think of SoCal.

I agree that we and they can toot their own horn without insulting another city.

I was pretty shocked at the vitriol between SF and LA when I finally ran across it. The Metroplex and Southeast Texas' trash-talking would be quite familial if it were not for the sense, underlying all of the rivalry in a way not present in CA, that Dallas wants to distance itself from its Texanness. This is true for a certain proportion of the college-graduate-income live-for-yourself secular materialist set there (and here), but - however much of the online forum community that accounts for - outside of those private-posturing social circles, pressure to unhealthy self-presentation is not representative of regular life there. Now, for the purposes of this discussion, Jones clearly mentioned Houston less for publicity waves than just because they're the only other NFL team in the South-Central states besides the Chiefs and the Saints.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived