North Park

WillowBend56

I don't know about that, I did meet Mickey Mantle walking through North Park Mall one day. He was just walking along and nobobdy knew who he was. I just thought it amazed me. Is Lord and Taylor still there, I think they were there from the begining?

No. Lord & Taylor is long gone from all of Texas.

Is Nieman-Marcus the only original store left since the 1965 opening of the mall?

Long gone are Titche's, J.C. Penney's, Woolworths, Melody Shop, Doubleday Books, Cullen-Boren (sp?), and a host of others.

That is an interesting question. I suspect that you are correct believing Neiman's to be the only original tenant left. All of the anchors have moved on (or changed names) and the smaller stores have changed a lot even in the last few years (let alone since the original opening).

NorthPark management would probably love to hear about your interest in their history and could give you a definitive answer. Let us know if you learn anything!

El Fenix restaurant (near the old J. C. Penney's location) was a long-time tenant. They're gone now.

Lord & Taylor was not an original store there. It occupied an expansion of the original mall.

James K. Wilson (men's clothier) was another original tenant ---now gone. Even Orange Julius.

There was a TV studio (Channel 8?) in North Park at the start that broadcast local shows.

Archived