I've never been a huge sports fan, but I always root for the Houston teams and if they're doing well, I'll jump on the bandwagon. I've been keeping up with and have been enjoying the Rockets for the last several months. Anyone else excited that they've made it to the play-offs? That hasn't happened in a while, has it? I won't get my expectations too high, but we can always hope. They were outstanding on Saturday. I love watching them!

• Like 1

Well we did make the playoffs last year and lost to the Lakers in the first round, but that was a totally different team with Steve Francis, Cuttino Mobley, etc. I feel much better about this team, we've got a bonafied superstar in TMac and great role players. With one more win we'll be a 50 win team which I dont think has happened since Charles Barkley was here (97?). I was at the game on saturday and really enjoyed it, that was a big game. Now were jockeying for positioning with Sacramento and Denver. It should be a fun playoffs. BTW a really good rockets fan site is www.clutchfans.net they have pretty lively forums.

I for one would love to see the city return to how it was when the Rockets won in 94-95. Probably two of the most fun years for the fans here, I'll always remember watchin Olajuwon in his prime. For some people, it was watching people like Mantle, or Montana, or Magic, but for me it will always be the Dream. The city got pretty energized obviously, and I just remember playing the Knicks and having the spats between the NY and Houston newspapers about the quality of Houston.

Still, before we get too far ahead of ourselves, I think it would be a big step to get past the first round. We have the talent, its an execution thing for them and consistency. If the perimeter shooters make their shots, this team can be pretty hard to stop.

I for one would love to see the city return to how it was when the Rockets won in 94-95.  Probably two of the most fun years for the fans here, I'll always remember watchin Olajuwon in his prime.  For some people, it was watching people like Mantle, or Montana, or Magic, but for me it will always be the Dream.  The city got pretty energized obviously, and I just remember playing the Knicks and having the spats between the NY and Houston newspapers about the quality of Houston. 

Still, before we get too far ahead of ourselves, I think it would be a big step to get past the first round.  We have the talent, its an execution thing for them and consistency.  If the perimeter shooters make their shots, this team can be pretty hard to stop.

I'll never forget when Olajuwon hit a 3-pointer in Game 7 of Houston's first ever championship. Seeing Houston finally rejoicing with over 500,000 people on the Richmond Strip was the most beautiful thing I've ever seen.

Go Rockets, yo!!!

P.S. perhaps one day Yao Ming will be as legendary as the Dream was during 93-95.

I think that Yao Ming WILL be as legendary as Hakeem. I think people are way to unfair on the guy. Yes he's a giant. Yes he came with much hype (nowhere near the LeBron hype machine). But let's not forget that he is only 24 years old. Looking at the improvements to his game while still playing for China and adjusting to America and the NBA--I'd say that he will be a phenomenal player, and he'll be offering a crow special at his restaurant for his critics (j/k, Yao isn't that kind of person).

He averages 18 points, 9 rebounds, and 2 blocks a game. Look at the other 7'4"-plus players in the NBA past and present--

Priest Lauderdale, Manute Bol, Shawn Bradley, Georghe Muresan. Yao may average more than twice the points per game than these four combined.

I say give him another 3-5 years and the league will be his for the taking. His low post game will be top notch to match with his great shooting and passing skills. Plus, he already hits his free throws. With the right pieces, the Rockets could be the next perennial title contenders. In 4 years, you'd have a 31-year-old TMac and a 28-year-old Yao. Throw in some others such as Mike James and David Wesley and we could have a fun team to watch for the next few years.

BTW, did anyone see the highlight of Yao leading a fast break in Portland a couple weeks ago? If you didn't, Yao was dribbling downcourt, Shareef Abdur-Rahim tried to go for the steal, Yao switched the ball behind his back to his left, then switches back to his right and finishes with a dunk. Pretty normal play for TMac, but seeing a 7'6" guy do it was pretty awesome.

I'll admit, I don't know a lot about the rules and technicalities of the game; I just know that winning is a good thing. I guess sometimes ignorance really is bliss.

I'd love to see them go all the way! If only they could play every game like they played Saturday's!

Thanks, htownswami, for the link. I wonder why the official Rockets site doesn't have a forum. I'll take a look at this one.

BTW, did anyone see the highlight of Yao leading a fast break in Portland a couple weeks ago?  If you didn't, Yao was dribbling downcourt, Shareef Abdur-Rahim tried to go for the steal, Yao switched the ball behind his back to his left, then switches back to his right and finishes with a dunk.  Pretty normal play for TMac, but seeing a 7'6" guy do it was pretty awesome.

That was the second funniest thing I've ever seen Yao Ming do in my whole life!!

The funniest thing you ask? Do you remember when Yao first came into the league, and wasn't doing as well as the critics expected at first, and TNT had Yao on blast? Before an Indiana Pacers game, Charles Barkley was talking about how he thought Yao would never make it in the NBA, and that he'd "kiss Kenny Smith's ass" if Yao Ming EVER scored 20 points in his inaugural season.

Yao's response? Score 20 points in the first half of that same game.

i like the rockets and all. but sometimes they get me mad enough to not want to watch them again. They could be 15 points ahead in the game and all of a sudden lose momentum and allow the opposing team to catch up and win the game. The Rockets should never go out like that! I don't care if it is in the regular season.

i like the rockets and all. but sometimes they get me mad enough to not want to watch them again. They could be 15 points ahead in the game and all of a sudden lose momentum and allow the opposing team to catch up and win the game. The Rockets should never go out like that! I don't care if it is in the regular season.

The NBA is a game of runs and breaks. Everyone has them. I personally don't like that part of the NBA.

I still think they will win the series. Just let the road team win all the games in the Rockets' playoff games and the Rockets will win the title this year! ;)

Even if they don't win it all, we have gotten a taste of the great things to come for this team. Imagine Yao and T-Mac three years from now. They will have such good chemistry. I plan on taking care of bills, etc. by then in order to buy season tickets for the 2007-2008 season!

Is anyone planning on going to any All-Star stuff in February?

Guest Professional Hornblower
I've never been a huge sports fan, but I always root for the Houston teams and if they're doing well, I'll jump on the bandwagon. I've been keeping up with and have been enjoying the Rockets for the last several months. Anyone else excited that they've made it to the play-offs? That hasn't happened in a while, has it? I won't get my expectations too high, but we can always hope. They were outstanding on Saturday. I love watching them!

You're admitting that you are a "bandwagon" (Fair Weather Fan)?

Most don't admit that

if you became a loyal fan -you'd pick up on the rules, techniques, strategies, and other faucets of the game and plus,....You'll get a lot more respect than Bandwagon Fans. We have enough of those those type of people here as it is.

Just my thought- Go Rockets!

Guest Professional Hornblower
Oh, absolutely I'm a bandwagon fan. However I think I'll watch when the regular season starts up again. I've been doing that with the Astros.

Good, being called a 'bandwagon' fan is not an admirable term. Either you're a fan or you're not. I think you'll like it (Astros/ Rockets)- Stick with it!!!

I became a Rockets fan once I moved to Texas in 2003. It was great timing since my Hornets had just left Charlotte for NOLA. Now I can't stand the Hornets! During the move, I couldn't stand people from New Orleans but now I wish that they didn't have to deal with an owner like George Shinn (back when he had his co-owner, Ray Wooldridge--who orchestrated the move to NOLA--Charlotteans called them "Shinnridge").

• 6 months later...

After the Astros' season was over, I thought the Rockets would be a great consolation to their absence and to the Texans' constant losing. No so. They've been almost as disappointing as the Texans. They're supposed to be better than this. I only care about the Houston teams; they're the only teams I watch and root for. Sports are meaningless to me otherwise. I'm a very frustrated fan. :(

• Like 1

I agree with the others. The Rockets had the most difficult schedule to start the season (Spurs, Pistons, Mavericks, Pacers...) so it should've been assumed that we wouldn't start great. This is especially true when you have so many new faces. Lastly, T-Mac has missed 4 games now, you can't expect to win with T-Mac out.

Once everyone is back and healthy and the schedule gets easier, the Rockets will be back. They can't finish better than a 4th seed in the playoffs anyhow.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Too bad the Astros can't seem to score for Clemens. That pitcher for the Twins is one hell of a rookie. He has wone 6 or 7 straight. He made the Astros' offense look like rookies.

Clemens had a good night. 100 pitches and looked great. They need to get it going if they want to make the playoffs again.

• Like 1