Downtown Houston Traffic Relief Bypass Idea

Detailed plans for the Trinity Turnpike around downtown Dallas have recently been posted. That got me to thinking: If Dallas can do it, why can't Houston?

http://www.ntta.org/pub/pub/pub_projects_index.jsp

Of course, the main problem in downtown Houston is the Pierce Elevated. Expanding the Pierce Elevated could be impossible due to physical constraints, cost issues, and political issues (ie opposition from redevelopment interests). But should we be forever sentenced to downtown gridlock? Maybe not.

Here's my idea for the I-45 downtown bypass alignment.

http://houstonfreeways.com/images/i45_bypass.jpg

As you can see, it mostly follows existing railroad and freeway corridors. I estimate it would cost anywhere from $300 to $500 million. I think it would remove around half the current traffic from the Pierce Elevated, removing around 100,000 vehicles per day. I think this would be more cost-effective than expanding the existing I-45, which could be hugely expensive if downtown interests demand a trench or tunnel.

Note that the bypass would NOT allow the removal of the Pierce Elevated and I-45 west of downtown. Doing so would dump up to 100,000 more vehicles per day on the US 59 Elevated east of downtown, making it worse than the Pierce Elevated. However, the bypass would permanently eliminate the need to ever expand the current facility, and could allow some structures at Buffalo Bayou to be replaced/removed. I'm envisioning an architecturally significant bridge over the Bayou on a much narrower footprint than the current facility.

I know it wouldn't be easy to pull it off. Big problem spots are near the Clayton Homes Project and Alexan Lofts, as well as along I-10 where the Hardy Yard is proposed. Also, the east end could object. since they want to redevelop. But this could be done in conjunction with removing at-grade rail crossings.

Any thoughts? Any showstoppers?

I like the concept, but TxDOT is already planning to add one lane in each direction to the peirce elevated from US 59 to either Buffalo or I-10.

I think construction will begin within two or three years.

Is the plan on some drawingboards for TxDOT or HCTRA?

Detailed plans for the Trinity Turnpike around downtown Dallas have recently been posted. That got me to thinking: If Dallas can do it, why can't Houston?

http://www.ntta.org/pub/pub/pub_projects_index.jsp

Interesting. What is your background. I have never even thought about such a bypass. Of course it is always easier said than done, but I am on board with you. I would think your estimates might be a little low, especially if right away needs to be condemened. Take it to Texas DOT.

I found this out after ready and research a bunch of information regarding the Spur 527 construction project. Many residents were concerned about the construction of the spur on one side of midtown and then TxDOT turns around and works on the Pierce Elevated right after.

They were concerned about having the commuter downtown traffic on the north-south midtown streets having issues near the spur then after have issues near I-45.

The widening of the Pierce would be as much of a problems. The were planning just to add one lane in each direction to assist in merge areas. Overall the traffic on the Pierce is not too bad unless there is a traffic accident. They'l just have to add one support column on each side of all the piers and place two beams on each side to create the spans. This will be enough for an extra lane in each direction.

TxDOT is still playing catch-up with the lack of construction in the late 70s and early eighties by building all this projects. There will be a point where the construction nightmare will slow down and the freeways will be maximized.

TxDOT is still playing catch-up with the lack of construction in the late 70s and early eighties by building all this projects.  There will be a point where the construction nightmare will slow down and the freeways will be maximized.

Remember 225 was also supposed to provide some relief. however once residents realized it would go through the east side, a revolt ensued and that's why 225 ends just inside the loop. if i'm not mistaken, it was going to follow the Harrisburg corridor to downtown.

Guest danax

My reaction is selfishly motivated as I want the eastend, where I live, to remain a freeway-free oasis. Your proposal would bisect the burgeoning warehouse/art/Waterview district where a lot of new, improved developments are taking place. And no connections to 59 or 10?

Also, I really don't have a problem with the Pierce Elevated. In fact, I think it's a cool piece of road. Driving at about 3 stories high or so it provides a neat view of DT not seen from the street level. And, with time, it could become a skyscraper canyon.

Interesting.  What is your background.  I have never even thought about such a bypass.    Of course it is always easier said than done, but I am on board with you.  I would think your estimates might be a little low, especially if right away needs to be condemened.    Take it to Texas DOT.

This is just an idea/observation by me, inspired by Dallas's plans. I have not seen it anywhere else, and apparently no one else has. The idea appears to possibly be feasible at first glance, so I just thought I would throw out the idea to see if it has been considered, or if there is something to eliminate it as a possibility. Dallas is in a better position to implement their bypass due to the Trinity River Floodway.

kjb434's info that a fourth lane in each direction is planned on the Pierce elevated is news to me. Why this wasn't done during the 1997 rebuild is a mystery to me if in fact it can be done without a full MIS (I assumed that's why it wasn't done.) I was under the impression that the downtown improvement I-45 was on hold and no study was underway. The last I heard, work is underway on a schematic to improve the 59/288 merge zone, presumably by eliminating many of the weaving patterns.

So I suppose the best plan is to add that extra lane to I-45 on the Pierce and see how much improvement it brings. Bringing two lanes from US59 and SH288 onto the northbound elevated could go a long way toward improving the situation.

I'm curious about this added lane on the Pierce as well. It would definitely help in some areas -- the merge from US 59 southbound to the Pierce is downright deadly, and the ramp from US 59 northbound/SH 288 that was taken out during the 1997 reconstruction (it was very dangerous when it was a two-lane merge) could use another lane where it enters the Pierce as well. But is there space to build this? I really don't know that there is, without a major disruption to Pierce St. below.

Personally, while I know this would be extremely costly and probably would never happen, I'd rather see the Pierce Elevated put in a tunnel below the current freeway and Pierce St., eliminating the freeway as a physical barrier between Downtown and Midtown.

Nice plan..but..If it will be done, it may be YEAARS away.

Now..what if we were to add a second deck to the pierce?

(excuse my droolification over thoughts of double decker Houston freeways)

Interesting idea, but it would probably get a chilly reception from residents, elected officials and community associations such as the Greater East End Management District.

The idea of new freeways running through inner-loop Houston don't seem to be very popular anymore. HCTRA had to scrap their idea of a toll road running along the Union Pacific line parallel to the West Loop because of outcry from residents in Bellaire, West U., Afton Oaks, et al. We saw folks in The Heights go ballistic last fall when HCTRA merely suggested that the old MKT alignment possibly be used as a toll road. More recently, First Ward residents got upset when a member of the Downtown Management District's board of directors suggested that I-45 be re-routed along Houston Avenue. You'd probably get the same kind of response here.

There'd likely be resistance from the development community, as well. This old warehouse district is beginning to redevelop; new townhomes (even if they are mainly Bob Perry crackerboxes) are popping up in this area, and new plats are being approved by the Planning Commission all the time. Lofts are being developed here as well. Plus, as you note, your alignment cuts through the Hardy Yards development as well as the Olajuwon property between Main Street and Buffalo Bayou.

The adding of the lane in each direction for the Pierce Elevated was TxDOT's simple concept to handle the congestion and merge issues.

When the Downtown Inc concept for Downtown 2025 was introduced and completely redesigned path of I-45 from the Pierce to the Heights, TxDOT put their lane additions on hold.

If the Downtown Inc concept plus TxDOT's improvement to I-45 NORTH of downtown move forward, i can see the Pierce construction being stalled for several years.

TxDOT would rather lump something like lane additions as part of a larger project.

My guess now after talking with some people over at Downtown Inc is that TxDOT wants to see where the Downtown 2025 plan is moving before they spend money on something that may have to get altered later.

After Spur 527 gets completed, I think the Pierce and I-45 over Allen Parkway, Buffalo Bayou, and Memorial is the last major upgrade to downtown freeways is needed. Of course, there are the dangerous merge areas by I-45, US-59, and SH 288. This section has some merge issues two lanes will merge to one with little to no room. You have to just hope there is a space. And you can just move to the left or right to avoid another car because there are other lanes of traffic next to you.

Showstoppers? I think neighborhood opposition would be one, but HCTRA could try it if they see it would have potential for high volumes of cars. My only thing is why would people want to drive extra miles around something when they can go through it. Yes, it may be faster, but that common sense doesn't always prevail with drivers. I don't know of many people that'll use I-610 north loop to bypass downtown instead of taking I-10 unless TxDOT makes them for construction reasons.

• 4 weeks later...
Nice plan..but..If it will be done, it may be YEAARS away.

Now..what if we were to add a second deck to the pierce?

(excuse my droolification over thoughts of double decker Houston freeways)

yeah, i always wondered why double-decker freeways are not more common? i mean, you get on the top portion for a clear cruise out I-10, 1-45s, or I-45N and use the lower section for more local stops.

could something like that work, instead of our ever-widening freeway system?

Double-deckers are ugly, loud, and expensive to build. Proposals to double-deck freeways are often a hard sell -- the section of the Southwest Freeway that's currently under construction to lower the old elevated freeway to a depressed one was originally going to be double-decked. So was the North Central Expressway (US 75) in Dallas, which ended up being depressed. In California and Oregon, double-decked freeways have been rebuilt to a more traditional design or eliminated completely. While the double-deck design may be a decent way of cramming more lanes into a narrow right of way, nobody likes them and they are very difficult to get approved and built.

Double-deckers are ugly, loud, and expensive to build. Proposals to double-deck freeways are often a hard sell -- the section of the Southwest Freeway that's currently under construction to lower the old elevated freeway to a depressed one was originally going to be double-decked. So was the North Central Expressway (US 75) in Dallas, which ended up being depressed. In California and Oregon, double-decked freeways have been rebuilt to a more traditional design or eliminated completely. While the double-deck design may be a decent way of cramming more lanes into a narrow right of way, nobody likes them and they are very difficult to get approved and built.

gotcha.

Archived