The house next door

Hi, My name is Sam; I live in a small sub-division of Houston named "Highland Heights" which is in between Oak Forest & Acres Homes. Unfortunately we have no homeowners association; long story short, I live next door to a home that is literally falling apart. This house has many issues including: junked cars, hungry un-tied pit-bull dogs, over gown grass & weeds, seriously un-kept trees that wrap around power lines and interfere with properties next to it including my own. Well a few weeks ago when hurricane Ike hit, two of those un-kept (V-crotch shaped) trees fell over into my yard damaging fences, knocking out my power & phone lines, and leaving a big mess for me to clean up. I have managed to clear at least one of the trees using a hand saw and a rope but there remains one tree that's about 3 to 4 stories high and is leaning dangerously towards my house and can fall on to it at any given time. I did some digging up and found out who the owner of the property is but I don't know if I should call him or her directly or seek legal assistance. I have emailed two real estate lawyers but neither one has returned my emails and my insurance says that they can not help me until the tree actually falls on to the house. :huh: I am afraid that if the tree actually falls on to the house that someone might get seriously hurt or killed plus I have children living in that house. If you have some advice or know of someone that can help me, please let me know. Thanks.

I would contact him/her directly and get some type of explanation. That route tends to get results the fastest.

Next, I would talk to the Department of Public Works and lodge a formal complaint about this house being harmful to the surrounding properties. Then it's time to call Jim Adler, the Texas Hammer. (Kidding, but these ambulance chaser lawyer types have it in their best interest to get things working quickly).

Regardless of whether there is a homeowner's association or not, there are laws against letting properties go completely unkept.

I would definitely not want my children surrounded by loose pitbulls (rabies?) and falling trees. This point should be emphasized when speaking with Public Works and lawyers.

Good Luck

lhg is correct in that if you somehow show children are at danger, and there has been "talk" of a lawsuit if a child gets injured, you seem to go to the front of the line.

Thats not personal experience talkin...thats how a neighbor (police) instructed me to deal with the city about any problem.

if a tree is around the powerlines , centerpoint will come trim them for free.

as for many of the other issues...neighborhood protection and the health dept should be able to address those problems.

Centerpoint :lol: whatever, I've been calling those fools since before the storm for them to come by and trim the trees around the power lines and I haven't seen one single Centerpoint truck. Oh yeah and after Ike, I called in an emergency that live power lines were laying in my yard and the middle of the road and again they never came; I recently called them like a few days ago to ask them something and they hung up on me.

Hi, My name is Sam; I live in a small sub-division of Houston named "Highland Heights" which is in between Oak Forest & Acres Homes. Unfortunately we have no homeowners association; long story short, I live next door to a home that is literally falling apart. This house has many issues including: junked cars, hungry un-tied pit-bull dogs, over gown grass & weeds, seriously un-kept trees that wrap around power lines and interfere with properties next to it including my own. Well a few weeks ago when hurricane Ike hit, two of those un-kept (V-crotch shaped) trees fell over into my yard damaging fences, knocking out my power & phone lines, and leaving a big mess for me to clean up. I have managed to clear at least one of the trees using a hand saw and a rope but there remains one tree that's about 3 to 4 stories high and is leaning dangerously towards my house and can fall on to it at any given time. I did some digging up and found out who the owner of the property is but I don't know if I should call him or her directly or seek legal assistance. I have emailed two real estate lawyers but neither one has returned my emails and my insurance says that they can not help me until the tree actually falls on to the house. :huh: I am afraid that if the tree actually falls on to the house that someone might get seriously hurt or killed plus I have children living in that house. If you have some advice or know of someone that can help me, please let me know. Thanks.

Maybe you should contact the local news station...just the other day a resident of Denver Harbor called channel 13 to get her home online and Centerpoint crews were out there within 24 hrs.

if a tree is around the powerlines , centerpoint will come trim them for free.

as for many of the other issues...neighborhood protection and the health dept should be able to address those problems.

Musicman, I'm not exactly sure what world you live on, but this does not happen. This didn't happen before Ike and it won't happen after Ike.

Thank you for your thought-provoking advice.

Musicman, I'm not exactly sure what world you live on, but this does not happen. This didn't happen before Ike and it won't happen after Ike.

Thank you for your thought-provoking advice.

it happens in my hood cause my tree is nicely trimmed around the wires. you have to be proactive and call. from your previous posts it is fairly obvious you're not proactive.

Centerpointe has let it be known for years that if you call, they will send a representative to look at the situation and assess the best course of action. Trees Inc. used to be part of the old HL&P...then they spun them off as a seperate company years ago....with the current situation being as it is, the crews that are working currently on restoration of service, they are doing a slash and burn clearing...once things start to get back to "normal"...I am sure you can call them and have them assess what threat it poses to their infrastructure....if it poses a threat to the main lines or service to your home, they will take measures to clear the threat...give them time. If the tree does not pose a threat to service, it will be at you or the adjoining property owners expense...also, keep in mind that if the property is as neglected as you say and the tree does fall onto your residence, you may be the one that has to foot the tab on your insurance...it would seem to me that seeing as the owner has neglected the property, it's more than likely not insured...if you can, and you think it poses that much of a threat, I would invest in a good solid nylon rope and get as high up on the tree and then tie it off to the home if you can...this may help in keeping the tree from falling over. Also, I would not tie it up in just one spot I would put a second or third rope around the tree so that in the event it does fall, you may be able to redirect it from falling on your home....We use the same technique when we go off-roading and a rig roles over...we tie off at seperate points creating leverage and directing movement of the vehicle in the direction we want it to go...just my $.02....and more constructive than pointing out the defeciency's of Centerpointe....or neglect or whatever, lol...

Centerpointe has let it be known for years that if you call, they will send a representative to look at the situation and assess the best course of action. Trees Inc. used to be part of the old HL&P...then they spun them off as a seperate company years ago....with the current situation being as it is, the crews that are working currently on restoration of service, they are doing a slash and burn clearing...once things start to get back to "normal"...I am sure you can call them and have them assess what threat it poses to their infrastructure....if it poses a threat to the main lines or service to your home, they will take measures to clear the threat...give them time. If the tree does not pose a threat to service, it will be at you or the adjoining property owners expense...also, keep in mind that if the property is as neglected as you say and the tree does fall onto your residence, you may be the one that has to foot the tab on your insurance...it would seem to me that seeing as the owner has neglected the property, it's more than likely not insured...if you can, and you think it poses that much of a threat, I would invest in a good solid nylon rope and get as high up on the tree and then tie it off to the home if you can...this may help in keeping the tree from falling over. Also, I would not tie it up in just one spot I would put a second or third rope around the tree so that in the event it does fall, you may be able to redirect it from falling on your home....We use the same technique when we go off-roading and a rig roles over...we tie off at seperate points creating leverage and directing movement of the vehicle in the direction we want it to go...just my $.02....and more constructive than pointing out the defeciency's of Centerpointe....or neglect or whatever, lol...

Okay, so what if I get the nylon ropes and the tree happens to fall on to the neighbor's House when redirected? because I'm thinking about getting with some buddies and cutting that SOB down.

Last month they took an entire dead tree down in our alley that was near the lines. 311.

We were very fortunate that the city (311) had Asplundh came and chopped down I mean all the way down, a huge old 2 -3 story tree that was sort of on city line & my property. Every other day a big dead branch would be laying on the ground so I stressed that it was extremely dangerous and it was. All for zero, ziltch, nada $. :) Just got to keep trying...add some high melodrama, what ever it takes.

Okay, so what if I get the nylon ropes and the tree happens to fall on to the neighbor's House when redirected? because I'm thinking about getting with some buddies and cutting that SOB down.

I would not attempt to cut it down, I would take as much care as I could to protect my property...and continue your efforts in getting someone other than yourself to remove the tree, whether it be the property owner, centerpointe of the like...the minute you try to remove the tree and it does happen to fall on a neighbors property or your own for that matter, you have assumed complete liability of what happens...and by tieing the tree off, don't be a fool and "shape" it to fall anywhere that any improvements could become damaged...use your common sense in that regards...it's not always about you, lol...I am not an attorney and don't even play one on TV, but by tieing the tree off, you would have an argument to use if any liability issue were to come up...meaning that if the tree were to fall and damage your property, you can let the insurance people know that you took great care and effort to protect any and all properties that may be involved and then also provide them a copy of the phone calls you made to centerpointe and the property owner trying to get the issue resolved to avoid the damage that may have been sustained...this will look favorably on your permanent record...

Again, just my $.02 and take it for what it's worth...

Update; I got some day laborers to help me start cutting down the tree in my yard but Centerpoint has yet to come by and cut there sh*& down, last Friday some big shot manager or something like that showed up at my house and informed my mother that they would be there the next day which was last Saturday and those S.O.B's have yet to show there faces. <_<

• 4 weeks later...

- Email 311@cityofhouston.net

- CC that email to your local councilman's office (city council website http://www.houstontx.gov/council/index.html)

You should attach a photo to your email. A picture says 1000 words.

I've gotten good stuff done in my subdivision in Southwest Houston this way. We had a rent house with overgrown grass, a collapsing and graffiti-defaced fence, and a tree half-fallen on the roof. Within a month of the call to 311, the major problems had all been addressed. Now that the tenants have moved out, the landlord actually appears to be renovating the interior now.

In the long term, I'd suggest getting involved in your local Super Neighborhood Association. I'm looking and I can't tell if you're in SN06 (Acres Homes) or SN 45 (Northside/ Northline) It's a great place to meet our City's movers and shakers (City Councilmen, the Mayor, Chiefs of PWE, etc. etc.) You may not be allowed to hold office in the Super Neighborhood without having a Civic Association or HOA, but you can attend meetings.

• 1 month later...
- Email 311@cityofhouston.net

- CC that email to your local councilman's.....having a Civic Association or HOA, but you can attend meetings.

Yes, indeed! Show your face, meet people, and make yourself known. And photographs are key evidence that you're not "exaggerating".

As mama said, "The squeaky wheel gets the grease." :D

Archived