Which Neighborhood?

Expat wife

I am due to move to Houston from the UK at the end of the year and haven't a clue where to live. My husband will be working on Post Oak Blvd and ideally would like to cycle into work. As we'll only be there for a few years we are only looking for a rental property. I don't know what kind of budget we have yet but it's likely to be quite generous and I'm hoping for 4 bedrooms and a nice garden, possibly with a pool or with a pool nearby. I'd like to be in a nice area with good schools/nurseries for my 3 year old and somewhere we can walk/cycle. My initial thoughts are to look at catholic schools or even the British school. I've also heard that Esperanza is an excellent nursery. I liked the look of West U because there seemed to be a lot going on community-wise but I've since heard that it's not that friendly/welcoming to outsiders. A friend has advised me that The Heights would be a better place. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated because I'm completely overwhelmed by the size and number of neighbourhoods in Houston!

I would look at getting a place in Montrose since it sounds like your husband is working in the Galleria area. It is close by enough plus you have more restaurants, stores, etc, within walking distance.

Midtown and The Heights are also good options but they are further away than Montrose but is also a good option. However with Midtown you have easy access to Downtown and the Museum District because of the light rail.

Anyways welcome to Houston.

Does his office have a shower? I would be soaked 8 months out of the year if I biked to work. If you have a West U budget I think that's a great option, so is Montrose. I did the Heights to uptown commute for a while and it was easy, only getting easier as they finish messing with I-10 construction.

I am due to move to Houston from the UK at the end of the year and haven't a clue where to live. My husband will be working on Post Oak Blvd and ideally would like to cycle into work. As we'll only be there for a few years we are only looking for a rental property. I don't know what kind of budget we have yet but it's likely to be quite generous and I'm hoping for 4 bedrooms and a nice garden, possibly with a pool or with a pool nearby. I'd like to be in a nice area with good schools/nurseries for my 3 year old and somewhere we can walk/cycle. My initial thoughts are to look at catholic schools or even the British school. I've also heard that Esperanza is an excellent nursery. I liked the look of West U because there seemed to be a lot going on community-wise but I've since heard that it's not that friendly/welcoming to outsiders. A friend has advised me that The Heights would be a better place. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated because I'm completely overwhelmed by the size and number of neighbourhoods in Houston!

I might be able to give you some ideas regarding preschools; if you'd like, send me a personal message with more information about what you want in a school, and I'll try to give some ideas. It may, of course, depend on what neighborhood you settle on. West of the Galleria has nice homes, nice rentals, and a lot of international folks, since so many of the consulates are located in that area, as well as the energy companies. You might want to check out neighborhoods along Memorial, for example.

I would suggest that you might look into apartment buildings or a leased condominium. There are quite a few very nice places to live along and near Post Oak Blvd., which is in an area called Uptown Houston (see map), including many highrises. If West U. is within your price range then certainly these will be as well.

I'm not sure that you can pull off a four-bedroom apartment or condo without getting a penthouse, but certainly all the amenities you would ever want will be available on site. And this would allow your husband to bike or even just walk to work.

One way or the other, you should definitely rent. Closing costs and amortization really don't bode well for home ownership in your particular situation.

Thanks for all your suggestions. I will spend some time researching all the areas you've suggested. Been looking into Montrose as this was the first suggestion and I like what I see. I've also spent some time looking at THe Heights which also looks interesting. I hope I'm not going to be as enthusiastic about all the other areas, as this won't have narrowed my search down very much.

Not keen on the idea of an apartment. I've got two young children so really wanted a private garden for them to play in and plenty of space for all their toys and all the other bits and pieces that come with them. I've lived in apartments before before kids and when I just had 1 child and it wasn't really for me. I'll keep looking at your suggestions. In the mean time please keep the advice coming.

On living in the Heights, it's a nice place with wonderful homes. I would recommend the Heights, but I doubt you will want to bike from there to Post Oak. There just aren't many friendly streets.

Esperanza is a good daycare. I have friends that have their kids at Esperanza, but we went with a school closer to Downtown. One concern that I had about their facilities is that they are located in several old houses spread out on two sides of Heights Blvd. The infant center seemed isolated and did not seem very secure.

Welcome to Houston!

Like a few have mentioned, check out the Memorial area (west of Uptown). If I were you, I would look at places around the street Briar Forest/San Felipe (this street changes names once you pass the 610 loop) a few miles west and east of Uptown. These are nicer areas and would have more of an international and welcoming feel since it runs parallel to Westheimer (major street). However, the Heights and West U. would much further from the office and probably less bike friendly, but they are definately unique areas of town. I believe Briar Forest has a bike lane on it but that's something you might want to verify.

• 2 weeks later...

I LOVE Montrose. I owned a home there for 6 years.

But for a young couple, with little kids, who are largely unfamiliar with Houston?

Montrose shouldn't be near the top.

The Uptown area is loaded with options, and is really the only area I'd bike to work from, given the Galleria work locale. Cycling in the area borders on the flat-out dangerous!

Try:

Afton Oaks, Briargrove, Tanglewood, WestU, Bellaire and their adjacent neighborhoods.

A new Houston mantra: Close to work, close to school...all else: ungreen, uncool!

Are there sections of Neartown/Montrose more suited for families than other sections? Are the areas zoned to Lanier Middle School (most areas west of Montrose Boulevard) more family-friendly than the areas zoned to Gregory-Lincoln Middle School (all areas east of Montrose Boulevard and some areas west of Montrose Boulevard)?

I LOVE Montrose. I owned a home there for 6 years.

But for a young couple, with little kids, who are largely unfamiliar with Houston?

Montrose shouldn't be near the top.

The Uptown area is loaded with options, and is really the only area I'd bike to work from, given the Galleria work locale. Cycling in the area borders on the flat-out dangerous!

Try:

Afton Oaks, Briargrove, Tanglewood, WestU, Bellaire and their adjacent neighborhoods.

A new Houston mantra: Close to work, close to school...all else: ungreen, uncool!

VicMan:

My opinion on your question...

In Montrose, the closer you are to Midtown (east), the less family-friendly. It's possible that Midtown's recent growth in the

W. Gray/Dallas area is improving the 'hood as Midtown moves toward NE Montrose, but...not yet.

I'd say stay at least 3 blocks away from Lower Westheimer From Dunlavy/Mandell all the way to Midtown. Too many petty crooks and panhandlers.

I do believe that (only generally) the west side is nicer than the east. The NW part headed toward RO Shopping center is nice, as are parts of the area nearer to 59.

The issue w/summarizing Montrose is its long history of halfway houses, Covenant House and other places that attract non-residents. I lived in a beautiful little area (Kipling/Marshall) a few steps from Annunciation School and the Univ. of St. Thomas, but the "Covenant crowd" ruled the late night.

Urination on the neighbor's house, truck broken into, bench stolen from inside gated front yard, etc. Besides this challenge are the "budget" apartment complexes close to Richmond (Dunlavy, etc.) that seem overcrowded with people just "hangin' out", drinking during the weekday, etc.

If I had a kid, and Montrose is the spot, I'd go...

1)A couple blocks south of Lanier (maybe Kipling/Woodhead)

2)Cherryhurst neighborhood just N. of the park

3)NW Montrose (N. of Westheimer, few blks east of Shepherd)

4)Alabama area near the Menil/St. Thomas

There are obviously other areas - just research your potential neighbors like never before!

My husband is going for a quick visit to Houston and will check out all the areas you've suggested. Although I like the look of what I've seen of Montrose on the www we've decided not to persue that option as I think some of the other areas look better for young children. I've been looking at schools for all the other areas you've suggested. It seems that, if you're prepared to pay for private schools, then there's plenty of choice in all those areas. I think we're going to be spoiled for choice. It might all come down to budget - which we still don't know yet!

• 3 months later...

Thanks to everyone for their advice. I've found a house in West U just within my budget which has a swimming pool (which I really did not expect). The location is fantastic. We can walk to shops and restaurants, it's just 1 mile to Rice Village and there is a bus stop right at the end of the street in case I want to avoid parking up at the zoo. I'm due to move in next week. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it is everything I hope it's going to be!

Thanks to everyone for their advice. I've found a house in West U just within my budget which has a swimming pool (which I really did not expect). The location is fantastic. We can walk to shops and restaurants, it's just 1 mile to Rice Village and there is a bus stop right at the end of the street in case I want to avoid parking up at the zoo. I'm due to move in next week. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it is everything I hope it's going to be!

Congratulations on your new home. It sounds terrific. While you may not have expected the pool, there will be days in July and August when you will be glad to have it and your air conditioning.

Welcome to Houston! Keep us apprised of your experiences and discoveries as you settle in.

• The title was changed to Which Neighborhood?

Archived