Hickory Wood Debris?

If anyone has hickory wood in their debris pile please let me know where! I use hickory for smoking things and was hoping to score free fuel while contributing ever so little to lessening someone's pile.

I thought I was pretty good with identifying tree types, but apparently that's only for ones still standings. I've scoured the piles around the neighborhood, and once the leaves go brown I have no idea. I'm just not good enough at identifying bark. In the piles I can basically tell the difference between pine, sycamore, bamboo, and after that most of it seems like it's all the same.

EDIT: we live in the Heights, that's why I posted it here. Not thinking about driving to the Woodlands or anything.

If anyone has hickory wood in their debris pile please let me know where! I use hickory for smoking things and was hoping to score free fuel while contributing ever so little to lessening someone's pile.

I thought I was pretty good with identifying tree types, but apparently that's only for ones still standings. I've scoured the piles around the neighborhood, and once the leaves go brown I have no idea. I'm just not good enough at identifying bark. In the piles I can basically tell the difference between pine, sycamore, bamboo, and after that most of it seems like it's all the same.

EDIT: we live in the Heights, that's why I posted it here. Not thinking about driving to the Woodlands or anything.

Honestly, I don't think you could pay hickory to grow in Texas. Seems way too tropical to even try growing it. I may be wrong, but as an NC native where Hickory grows strong, I just can't see it being in debree without laminate products in it.

Honestly, I don't think you could pay hickory to grow in Texas. Seems way too tropical to even try growing it. I may be wrong, but as an NC native where Hickory grows strong, I just can't see it being in debree without laminate products in it.

That's what I thought, but then my mom said my uncle has 6 hickories at his place in Baton Rouge (same climate), and that they were all over that area of town. And I read up on it, pecan is a hickory. Didn't know that. Pecan smoke is a little too pungent for my taste though. I hear some oaks are good but just haven't experimented. I'm sure if I could figure that out I'd have wood for a lifetime.

For a state that does not even have a town named Hickory (though there is a Hickory Creek), one would think that hickory would not be found here. However, there are numerous hickory trees native to Texas, including the beloved Carolina Hickory.

20thStDad, You might try pecan. There's lots of it (in manageable pieces) over in the western Heights. One of my neighbors loaded up a 50's era Char-Broil with a bunch of pecan for our block's powerless freezer salvage grilling party. The flavor was great.

My grandfather grew hickory trees up near Woodville. He grafted pecan limbs onto them. Yummy pecans.

Got one load from Shady Acres today, some good oak. There is so much more left, I just have to make the effort and I'll be hooked up with wood for years. Only hard part is most pieces are too big, gotta sort through them to find the good sizes.

• The title was changed to Hickory Wood Debris?

Archived