Grocery Spending

sevfiv

There's a topic on gas and a topic on off-brands, but I was curious about what fellow HAIF folks spent on groceries per month (and for how many). I have been going over my finances in detail (mint.com has been an interesting site) and am about to pull in data from my purchases on food (dining-out figures would be interesting also).

There's a topic on gas and a topic on off-brands, but I was curious about what fellow HAIF folks spent on groceries per month (and for how many). I have been going over my finances in detail (mint.com has been an interesting site) and am about to pull in data from my purchases on food (dining-out figures would be interesting also).

Monthly average for the past 6 months for 1:

Groceries: 156.55

Fast Food (Basically anything drive thru...coffee, donuts, Whataburger, etc): 96.86

Dining (Nice, sit-down type places, usually includes a couple drinks):118.89

Single with a cat:

about $100 or so on groceries and about 240 on lunches and about 300 on dinners, not including bar tabs.

But like I said before, when I eat at home, my diet is generally heavy on rice and whatever I feel like combining it with.

My and the wife: This year's average has been $400/month on groceries, plus another $150 eating out.

I do my grocery shopping online and almost always get the same stuff, so I can see inflation at work. In January my monthly grocery bill was $325. Now it's $460.

I miss Houston so much...for my partner and I it used to be $110/wk and maybe $150 month eating out in Houston.(until 1/2008)

Same Food in Chicago $140/wk and maybe $150 eating out. (We eat out less and Groceries are at least 25-30% higher here)

I miss Houston so much...for my partner and I it used to be $110/wk and maybe $150 month eating out in Houston.(until 1/2008)

Same Food in Chicago $140/wk and maybe $150 eating out. (We eat out less and Groceries are at least 25-30% higher here)

Yep. I've found the cheapest grocery prices are on the east coast. I think it's because we grow the stuff in the midwest, then ship it to the east coast to be turned into stuff and package, and then it gets shipped back to us at a higher price.

Kind of like the whole textiles thing with Britain that led to the Revolutionary War.

My and the wife: This year's average has been $400/month on groceries, plus another $150 eating out.

I do my grocery shopping online and almost always get the same stuff, so I can see inflation at work. In January my monthly grocery bill was $325. Now it's $460.

Where on the interwebs is a good place to buy groceries?

flipper

Where on the interwebs is a good place to buy groceries?

Amazon has groceries, but they're usually packaged in Sam's Club/Costco quantities....of course that's the most frugal way to buy since you have to pay shipping.

Rice Epicurean used to let you order online then deliver to your house if you lived in certain ZIP codes near one of their stores....I'm not sure if they still do that or not.

• The title was changed to Grocery Spending

Archived