Central Presbyterian Church At 3788 Richmond Ave.

Jeromy Murphy

Updated and retracted.

Ok, I definitely jumped the gun on this post. I have spoken with Howard Reed, Pastor of Central Presbyterian Church. He is informed me that my post concerning the sale of their property was erroneous.

I apologize to the Church for failing to confirm my info prior to posting. I am sure there will be more details in the future.

-Jeromy

Edited by Jeromy Murphy
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This may not be entirely true. I received an angry voice mail from someone named Howard Reed who claims to be part of Central Presbyterian Church. He called the post "erroneous" but failed to say why or how. He insisted I call him "right away" about it, but all I get is voice mail.

If he provided some details in his message I might have been able to help him, but I guess he didn't think of that. He also called HAIF a "blog" which it is not.

Do you have any basis for this information? Is there a press release or anything?

I was told during a session meeting at my church and had assumed it to be both reliable and not secret, but it is possible that I spoke too soon or that there has been some change. The PC(USA) does not make sudden decisions. Additionally, any sale of property would have to be approved of by the Presbytery.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

A group of us just walked around to take some photos. It is locked up and a security guard patrols the property. He was very nice and told us that at the end of the month a fence will be erected and the entire property will be razed to the ground. Condos are slated to be built. Just what Houston needs...

He told us that there will be an auction/sale of furniture, artwork, etc. I am trying to find out when.

A group of us just walked around to take some photos. It is locked up and a security guard patrols the property. He was very nice and told us that at the end of the month a fence will be erected and the entire property will be razed to the ground. Condos are slated to be built. Just what Houston needs...

He told us that there will be an auction/sale of furniture, artwork, etc. I am trying to find out when.

so sad....a complete waste. if you find out, post the info please!! thanks.

• 1 year later...
The Morgan Group recently closed on the 4.5 acre property, and now plans to demolish the church and begin construction on a 341-unit, 4-story apartment complex on the site, which is adjacent to the planned Cummins stop on Metro’s long-delayed University Line.

http://swamplot.com/mod-richmond-ave-church-ready-to-fall-for-new-apartments/2011-09-06/

• 9 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...

a terrible loss.....this church was a gem, too bad the Osteen mega Jesus bucks couldn't settle for a beautiful church already in the area instead of moving in to the Summit which is way too big for a community church.......how does one ever get to know those in your charge if they are just one of the thousand you preach to that day? The Summit was a great concert hall since it was big enough to attract major tours and the tours right under those......majors would play two nights and the lesser tours could still sell out The Summit but skip us now since they can't fill venues as large as Toyota Center, hell our basketball team can't even fill it....... also that venue was public property and had strict instructions connected to the deed if ever it did come on the market for sale which limited it's use to just about anything but a church....... Now Greenway is a cluster of mis-matched horrible buildings that do not relate to each other or allow for people to flow easily through the site........FYI to commercial property owners....it is OK to lease the first few floors to retail street facing stores instead of having vacant lobbies with grand open dead space.........also the strip centers around Houston are way past their due date to be torn down, most I would bet violate many fire codes since they must be brought up to code as each store turns over.......that also goes for apartments as they are sold from owner to owner or are showing clear signs of repairs not being made, like all of Greystar's old portfolio they use to run in west Houston near Stratford High School......

• The title was changed to Central Presbyterian Church At 3788 Richmond Ave.