The area north of I-10 along Gessner looks bad along the actual road, but behind the commercial areas are actually really nice neighborhoods. A lot of thirtysomething couples are moving in the area. Gessner bad, off Gessner not bad.

The area north of I-10 along Gessner looks bad along the actual road, but behind the commercial areas are actually really nice neighborhoods.  A lot of thirtysomething couples are moving in the area.  Gessner bad, off Gessner not bad.

This is absolutely correct - I am in one of these neighborhoods, and they really are nice (west of Gessner, anyway). At one time this whole area was where everyone wanted to live; it's really sad that the city widened Gessner and compromised the character.

But there are some well-preserved examples of Googie architecture along this stretch of Gessner (lava rock garden apartments, gas stations, flat roof strip centers with mosaic tile facia, etc.). I've been trying to garner interest for judicious preservation of some of these buildings, but it's a hard sell. A lot of people just can't see the diamonds in the rough, and don't like anything that isn't 'new'.

I would love to see this area turn into a space-age 50's-themed retail shopping mecca, with boutique stores and services. Look at what they've done along 43rd in Oak Forest ... the retail has been updated but haven't killed the period feel. It's a nice mix.

The area north of I-10 along Gessner looks bad along the actual road, but behind the commercial areas are actually really nice neighborhoods. A lot of thirtysomething couples are moving in the area. Gessner bad, off Gessner not bad.

Oh I wasn't trying to insinuate that this was a bad area. There are loads of good neighborhoods along Gessner. In fact, there are only a couple of spotty buisnesses and apartment complexes along Gessner, and they're basically along the stretch from just south of Long Point and are all done by the time you get past Neuens. Less than a mile, if that.

No, what I was more referring to was the storage facilities and blah strip centers at the northern intersection of Gessner and the Katy. The northern side of the intersection (that is, along the northern feeders) could use a bit of what's going on on the Memorial City side.

But since we're talking about North Gessner, it would be nice to see the road repaved from Kempwood down to I-10, it would be nice to see the shoulders redone along with the medians, and a couple of the "doctors' offices" at the intersection of Long Point should actually look like reputable doctor's offices rather than Jimmy Joe's Magic Potions and Bait Shop.

Or some such.

BTW, there are some nice new homes being built in Spring Valley on the north side of the Katy. Looks like about 25-50 homes. Probably in the $300,000 range. Pretty ironic.

Interesting discussion. I'm just going to throw in my 2 cents.

I think the memorial city development is great. I mean, what we had was a ~40 year old mall that looked it, and what we have now is a completely revitalized mall and a future revitalization of the area around it.

What's the alternative? Something like Sharpstown which is in dire need of attention but instead is just sitting there? I'll take the Memorial City version any day.

It's my understanding that Metro National is a Houston corporation, which got their start developing Memorial City. That makes me even more enamoured with the project -- these folks are in it for the long haul. Sure, they're going to rake in the $$ but they're not going to build a lot of sleek looking stuff which looks good on paper and then sell it and not care what happens after that. I'd be willing to bet that 50 years from now, what they're building today will have maintained/gained in value and will be in a constant state of upkeep.

Here's a link to their website, Metro National, gives their history, press releases, plus a video of their upcoming developments.

On the topic of Town & Country, does anyone remember the original T&C? Way back in the late 60s I think it was, pre T&C mall. The concept was to have a bunch of small squares of stores with stores inside the square and parking around the perimeter. It was meant to be sort of a villagy sort of feel. In fact, it was actually called, Town & Country Village.

It didn't do well. And what I remember was that the reason it didn't do well was that people wanted to be in an air conditioned mall, not walking from store to store in the Houston heat.

Then they built the mall, finally. Why didn't it do well? I guessing proximity to Memorial City and no really attractive anchors to steal business away from MC.

And now they're going to tear down the mall and go back to the outdoor concept?? What a hoot. Maybe they just ought to face facts that the location is just not good for retail.

On the topic of Town & Country, does anyone remember the original T&C? Way back in the late 60s I think it was, pre T&C mall. The concept was to have a bunch of small squares of stores with stores inside the square and parking around the perimeter. It was meant to be sort of a villagy sort of feel. In fact, it was actually called, Town & Country Village.

It didn't do well. And what I remember was that the reason it didn't do well was that people wanted to be in an air conditioned mall, not walking from store to store in the Houston heat.

Then they built the mall, finally. Why didn't it do well? I guessing proximity to Memorial City and no really attractive anchors to steal business away from MC.

And now they're going to tear down the mall and go back to the outdoor concept?? What a hoot. Maybe they just ought to face facts that the location is just not good for retail.

I disagree that the location is the problem.

Check Midway Companies' website. They have already torn down Town & Country mall (there's been a few discussions in this forum about it) and they have big plans for a new center.

Town & Country Village (the new one built in 1998) is going strong at almost 100% leased. It is a thriving shopping center. I live across the street from it, so I definitely know that to be true! :)

I disagree that the location is the problem.

Check Midway Companies' website.  They have already torn down Town & Country mall (there's been a few discussions in this forum about it) and they have big plans for a new center.

Town & Country Village (the new one built in 1998) is going strong at almost 100% leased.  It is a thriving shopping center.  I live across the street from it, so I definitely know that to be true!  :)

Maybe their previous lack of success was due as much to the format and the offerings as it was their location.

I guess they were sort of ahead of their time with their original T&C Village concept in the 60s. Or maybe they just had crummy stores! I think a big part of the reason for the success of the new Village is that they have some stores there which have only a few locations around town.

I think I had 'location' in my head because it seemed to me that T&C (especially the mall but even the "village" before the mall) was in direct competition with Memorial City because of their proximity, and it just seemed obvious they'd lose out in that fight.

But maybe if T&C can distinguish themselves with unique stores/restaurants which can't be easily found close by, they'll do well with their new development. I really do hope so! I don't like to see dead areas around Houston, and T&C (with the exception you pointed out above) has a history of being just that.

and it certainly wasn't a lack of attractive anchors that caused T&C's demise.  They had:

Dillard's

JCPenney

Neiman Marcus

Marshall Field (replaced by Saks Fifth Avenue)

I'm not sure how attractive those anchors were. They certainly weren't enough to lure people over from Foley's at MC.

I mean, T&C was (at one time) a brand new three-story mall, with all the newer ameneties, including a parking garage, and Memorial still beat them out.

It came down to who had the better anchors I guess, because all the small stores had to be pretty much the same in both malls.

• 4 months later...

I think it's interesting how so many athletes open restaurants.

But in this case, the name is a little cumbersome. "Roger Clemens' Rocket Sports Grill" is a mouthful. FWIW, I was at "Ditka's" last week. Nice and easy to remember and tell friends about.

And is there a reason the word "Rocket" is in there that I'm not aware of? I'm not a sports fan. Is that his nickname?

I think it's interesting how so many athletes open restaurants.

But in this case, the name is a little cumbersome. "Roger Clemens' Rocket Sports Grill" is a mouthful. FWIW, I was at "Ditka's" last week. Nice and easy to remember and tell friends about.

And is there a reason the word "Rocket" is in there that I'm not aware of? I'm not a sports fan. Is that his nickname?

Rocket is his nickname. :)

I found it interesting that he chose Memorial City for it's proximity to his residence. Great way for hands on. It sounds like a upcoming success just when you hear that. I wonder who the next Astros legend will be to open a grill. Pettitte Pizzeria? Bagwell's Boston Market? Oswalt Barbeque? Biggio's New Jersey Cuisine?

by RedScare:

Repeat thread.

Well, that's not very helpful. :huh: What's the point of saying that if you don't even bother with a redirect?

I didn't know I was doing something wrong...this is the West Loop/Galleria/Memorial forum, no? I didn't see it here. I would think it would be okay to post this subject, repeat or no repeat, considering it falls under the heading of Memorial.

My apologies for my lack of observance.

Edited by Parrothead

• 2 months later...

How is the Memorial City Development coming along? What has went into the Mervin's spot or what will go into it? Bloomingdale's would be nice to see there. Its something that the Galleria doesn't have, and it will be reason to go to both, as to have two different major upscale shopping areas.

How is the Memorial City Development coming along? What has went into the Mervin's spot or what will go into it? Bloomingdale's would be nice to see there. Its something that the Galleria doesn't have, and it will be reason to go to both, as to have two different major upscale shopping areas.

Well it's been a few months since I've driven by the area, but the last time I was around, they were building the Cinemark, putting a Penny's into I think what used to be Lord &Taylor, and Mervy's was still open. Also, there were lots of cleared area's around the place with fences, and banners that said "Watch a city grow" or something like that.