• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Actually isn't the new Cinemark going to be by Sears??

I am suprised they are building another Cinema. There have been 2 cinema's in there over the years and none have lasted. I guess they are going state of the art with stadium seating (which is the norm now). I will like it as I recently moved a few miles aways.

The mall really has transformed. I used to "hang" there as a middle schooler in the early 80's and the place was a dump. I did not know it then, but it looks 100% different and it is hard for me to believe it is the same place.

Metro National is an awesome story. I turned down a job with them 3-4 years ago. I sometimes wish I would have thought a little harder.

Is it me, or is Houston flooded with seafood Restaurants?

Why do you ask that? We were just talking about how this place needs more seafood restaurants(besides just fish and chips aka chippies) Mmmm what I wouldn't do for some good seafood

Anyways......The last picture looks plain, just a box with trees up front. The other two are alright. At this point I don't care to much about renderings the actual building usaully comes out different. I would like this to get off the ground soon though.

Anyways......The last picture looks plain, just a box with trees up front. The other two are alright. At this point I don't care to much about renderings the actual building usaully comes out different. I would like this to get off the ground soon though.

How do they get everyone of those trees to grow exactly the same? Cloning?

I am suprised they are building another Cinema. There have been 2 cinema's in there over the years and none have lasted. I guess they are going state of the art with stadium seating (which is the norm now). I will like it as I recently moved a few miles aways.

The mall really has transformed. I used to "hang" there as a middle schooler in the early 80's and the place was a dump. I did not know it then, but it looks 100% different and it is hard for me to believe it is the same place.

Metro National is an awesome story. I turned down a job with them 3-4 years ago. I sometimes wish I would have thought a little harder.

With the recent violence at the Edwards Marq*E, I think it's a perfect time to build a theater in that area.

Is it me, or is Houston flooded with seafood Restaurants?

For shame;), that's like asking if Boston is flooded with clam chowder.

Edited by HeightsGuy

Looks like construction on the Condos will be getting started very soon:

Luxury condos added to Memorial City mix - 5/1/2006

MetroNational Corp. is expected to break ground in May on a luxury mid-rise condominium project near Memorial City Mall in west Houston. The condo site is located east of Memorial City Mall - which is also owned by MetroNational - near Interstate 10 between Bunker Hill and Memorial City Way. The property was cleared a few months ago. Stakes are in the ground, and construction equipment appeared on the site this week. MetroNational intends to build 120 luxury units that will be for sale in a mid-rise format. The residences will be ready for move-in by late 2007. MetroNational's planned condo project is almost directly across Gaylord Drive from a collection of townhomes MetroNational recently built under a subsidiary named Westside Builders Ltd.

[Houston Business Journal]

REN_D.jpg

Residential space was one component of the $500 million redevelopment of the Memorial City area announced by MetroNational last year. The master plan calls for a luxury hotel, townhomes, retail space, a movie theater and restaurants. Midrise apartments above retail space were also included initially, but midrise condos seem to have just been added to the mix.

Does that mean that the midrise apartments above retail won't happen now?

I know everybody like's ground floor retail but I don't think this building need's it. They've got a huge mall, Starbucks, 24 hour fitness, 3 restaurants (Mexican, seafood & steak if I'm not mistaken) right next door, Charlies hamburger, Specs, Quiznos, convenience store's, etc, etc.

This place is perfectly situated for one to have a plethora of retail within a 3 or 4 minute walk.

Edited by Gary

• 1 month later...

It looks like it's going to be just another apartment complex across the street from a mall. Only the press- on facades have been altered to protect the investors. Things do not seem to be turning out nearly as interestingly as originally described.

Remember the Holiday Inn that was on that site? It was huge. It had many buildings spread across the immense site. Later in its life it was divided into several smaller motels that were eventually replaced, temporarily, with mini storage units. The apartment complex behind them has already been demolished and replaced once. They were less than 20 years old when replaced. We may see several more redevelopments of this area in our lifetimes.

• 2 weeks later...
I was just at the med center across the street from MCM and I saw that they have started tearing into the old department store next to the ice rink... isnt that where the old Foleys was?

I think the old Foley's was gone a long time ago... isn't that approximtely where Dillard's is? The dept store next to the ice rink being torn down is probably the former Mervyn's.

• Like 1

The store formerly housing Mervyn's at Memorial City mall was built for Lord & Taylor in 1977. Lord & Taylor closed in 1989 and Mervyn's relocated from the former Globe store across Gessner. The former Globe/Mervyn's became Oshman's until it was demolished in 2005.

Lord and Taylor returned to Memorial City in a new structure on the south side of the mall in 2002 but only lasted about two years this time. That store is now occupied by JC Penny.

The first Lord & Taylor at Memorial City was a handsome 1970's suburban department store. Much of its upscale detail was removed when Mervyn's took over. Recently the building was further degraded with the application of a press-on artificial stone veneer in an attempt to blend it with the rest of the redecorated old mall. It will be unfortunate for Houston to loose another piece of its retail heritage.

Until recently, Lord & Taylor was known for the outstanding design of their stores. The noted industrial designer Raymond Loewy designed seven suburban stores for Lord & Taylor in the 1950's. When Lord & Taylor came to Houston in the 1970's, they opened four stores which were located at the Galleria, Memorial City, Greenspoint, and West Oaks Malls. Only the Galleria location survived after the 1980s.

The present Foley's at Memorial City is a new structure which was built in the former parking area east of the former Montgomery Ward's store which was demolished and replaced with a Target store. Dillard's relocated from Town and Country Mall to the reconfigured and added-to former Foley's store at the east end of the Memorial City Mall. This 1970's Foley's was one of the early versions of the open concept department store. It originally had few walls and the departments were seperated only by fixtures, furniture, and draperies. It was very open and mod with an early 1970's molded white plastic scheme.

The apartment complex is to be located east of the north-east parking garage, across the street from the mall, at the site formerly occupied by the Holiday Inn and the mini-storage facility which fronts on I-10.

NORTH is up on this map:

map.jpg

• Like 1

The store formerly housing Mervyn's at Memorial City mall was built for Lord & Taylor in 1977. Lord & Taylor closed in 1989 and Mervyn's relocated from the former Globe store across Gessner. The former Globe/Mervyn's became Oshman's until it was demolished in 2005.

Lord and Taylor returned to Memorial City in a new structure on the south side of the mall in 2002 but only lasted about two years this time. That store is now occupied by JC Penny.

The first Lord & Taylor at Memorial City was a handsome 1970's suburban department store. Much of its upscale detail was removed when Mervyn's took over. Recently the building was further degraded with the application of a press-on artificial stone veneer in an attempt to blend it with the rest of the redecorated old mall. It will be unfortunate for Houston to loose another piece of its retail heritage.

Until recently, Lord & Taylor was known for the outstanding design of their stores. The noted industrial designer Raymond Loewy designed seven suburban stores for Lord & Taylor in the 1950's. When Lord & Taylor came to Houston in the 1970's, they opened four stores which were located at the Galleria, Memorial City, Greenspoint, and West Oaks Malls. Only the Galleria location survived after the 1980s.

The present Foley's at Memorial City is a new structure which was built in the former parking area east of the former Montgomery Ward's store which was demolished and replaced with a Target store. Dillard's relocated from Town and Country Mall to the reconfigured and added-to former Foley's store at the east end of the Memorial City Mall. This 1970's Foley's was one of the early versions of the open concept department store. It originally had few walls and the departments were seperated only by fixtures, furniture, and draperies. It was very open and mod with an early 1970's molded white plastic scheme.

The apartment complex is to be located east of the north-east parking garage, across the street from the mall, at the site formerly occupied by the Holiday Inn and the mini-storage facility which fronts on I-10.

NORTH is up on this map:

map.jpg

Very interesting history. But IIRC, the old Foley's was actually demolished, not reconfigured and added-to.

• Like 1

Very interesting history. But IIRC, the old Foley's was actually demolished, not reconfigured and added-to.

I thought I remember the old Foley's being gutted with the shell remaining, but I did not pay too much attention so I am probably wrong. Interesting.

There used to be a big Mars Music where the target used to be. I assume it took over after Montgomery Wards closed down.

You have to give Metronational props for the incredible facelift and re-branding that they pulled off. It takes a huge master plan to pull off that mall re-do.

I guess I don't understand why some are dissapointed this midrise won't have ground floor retail. I'm all for a more urban Houston, but in this case there is a plethora of retail all around this complex. On top of that, it's all within easy walking distance.

It seems to me that when considering the above, a developer would be crazy to not add more residents to the bottom floor.

Imo, this project does not need retail at all.

I thought I remember the old Foley's being gutted with the shell remaining, but I did not pay too much attention so I am probably wrong. Interesting.

I was surprised also, but the old Foley's building was reused. Another floor was added to the existing structure. Prehaps the open nature of the existing building aided in the ease of its reconfiguration. It was difficult to see into the construction area but I am sure the frame of the existing building remained. I remember they first removed the large bunker type planting boxes around the exterior that gave the building a below ground look and started the additions from there.

Has anyone ever noticed that sometimes when a building is renovated, one wall of the existing building remains standing as to be incorporated into the new structure. The remaining wall gets cut down bit by bit and by the time the building is almost finished, the old wall section has disappeared. I have seen this happen several times: once was at the mexican restaurant on Westheimer @ Walnut Bend and another example was on South Shepherd near Westheimer. Is this some type of ploy to save money on building permits or property taxes?