I was just at the med center across the street from MCM and I saw that they have started tearing into the old department store next to the ice rink... isnt that where the old Foleys was?

I think the old Foley's was gone a long time ago... isn't that approximtely where Dillard's is? The dept store next to the ice rink being torn down is probably the former Mervyn's.

• Like 1

The store formerly housing Mervyn's at Memorial City mall was built for Lord & Taylor in 1977. Lord & Taylor closed in 1989 and Mervyn's relocated from the former Globe store across Gessner. The former Globe/Mervyn's became Oshman's until it was demolished in 2005.

Lord and Taylor returned to Memorial City in a new structure on the south side of the mall in 2002 but only lasted about two years this time. That store is now occupied by JC Penny.

The first Lord & Taylor at Memorial City was a handsome 1970's suburban department store. Much of its upscale detail was removed when Mervyn's took over. Recently the building was further degraded with the application of a press-on artificial stone veneer in an attempt to blend it with the rest of the redecorated old mall. It will be unfortunate for Houston to loose another piece of its retail heritage.

Until recently, Lord & Taylor was known for the outstanding design of their stores. The noted industrial designer Raymond Loewy designed seven suburban stores for Lord & Taylor in the 1950's. When Lord & Taylor came to Houston in the 1970's, they opened four stores which were located at the Galleria, Memorial City, Greenspoint, and West Oaks Malls. Only the Galleria location survived after the 1980s.

The present Foley's at Memorial City is a new structure which was built in the former parking area east of the former Montgomery Ward's store which was demolished and replaced with a Target store. Dillard's relocated from Town and Country Mall to the reconfigured and added-to former Foley's store at the east end of the Memorial City Mall. This 1970's Foley's was one of the early versions of the open concept department store. It originally had few walls and the departments were seperated only by fixtures, furniture, and draperies. It was very open and mod with an early 1970's molded white plastic scheme.

The apartment complex is to be located east of the north-east parking garage, across the street from the mall, at the site formerly occupied by the Holiday Inn and the mini-storage facility which fronts on I-10.

NORTH is up on this map:

map.jpg

• Like 1

The store formerly housing Mervyn's at Memorial City mall was built for Lord & Taylor in 1977. Lord & Taylor closed in 1989 and Mervyn's relocated from the former Globe store across Gessner. The former Globe/Mervyn's became Oshman's until it was demolished in 2005.

Lord and Taylor returned to Memorial City in a new structure on the south side of the mall in 2002 but only lasted about two years this time. That store is now occupied by JC Penny.

The first Lord & Taylor at Memorial City was a handsome 1970's suburban department store. Much of its upscale detail was removed when Mervyn's took over. Recently the building was further degraded with the application of a press-on artificial stone veneer in an attempt to blend it with the rest of the redecorated old mall. It will be unfortunate for Houston to loose another piece of its retail heritage.

Until recently, Lord & Taylor was known for the outstanding design of their stores. The noted industrial designer Raymond Loewy designed seven suburban stores for Lord & Taylor in the 1950's. When Lord & Taylor came to Houston in the 1970's, they opened four stores which were located at the Galleria, Memorial City, Greenspoint, and West Oaks Malls. Only the Galleria location survived after the 1980s.

The present Foley's at Memorial City is a new structure which was built in the former parking area east of the former Montgomery Ward's store which was demolished and replaced with a Target store. Dillard's relocated from Town and Country Mall to the reconfigured and added-to former Foley's store at the east end of the Memorial City Mall. This 1970's Foley's was one of the early versions of the open concept department store. It originally had few walls and the departments were seperated only by fixtures, furniture, and draperies. It was very open and mod with an early 1970's molded white plastic scheme.

The apartment complex is to be located east of the north-east parking garage, across the street from the mall, at the site formerly occupied by the Holiday Inn and the mini-storage facility which fronts on I-10.

NORTH is up on this map:

map.jpg

Very interesting history. But IIRC, the old Foley's was actually demolished, not reconfigured and added-to.

• Like 1

Very interesting history. But IIRC, the old Foley's was actually demolished, not reconfigured and added-to.

I thought I remember the old Foley's being gutted with the shell remaining, but I did not pay too much attention so I am probably wrong. Interesting.

There used to be a big Mars Music where the target used to be. I assume it took over after Montgomery Wards closed down.

You have to give Metronational props for the incredible facelift and re-branding that they pulled off. It takes a huge master plan to pull off that mall re-do.

I guess I don't understand why some are dissapointed this midrise won't have ground floor retail. I'm all for a more urban Houston, but in this case there is a plethora of retail all around this complex. On top of that, it's all within easy walking distance.

It seems to me that when considering the above, a developer would be crazy to not add more residents to the bottom floor.

Imo, this project does not need retail at all.

I thought I remember the old Foley's being gutted with the shell remaining, but I did not pay too much attention so I am probably wrong. Interesting.

I was surprised also, but the old Foley's building was reused. Another floor was added to the existing structure. Prehaps the open nature of the existing building aided in the ease of its reconfiguration. It was difficult to see into the construction area but I am sure the frame of the existing building remained. I remember they first removed the large bunker type planting boxes around the exterior that gave the building a below ground look and started the additions from there.

Has anyone ever noticed that sometimes when a building is renovated, one wall of the existing building remains standing as to be incorporated into the new structure. The remaining wall gets cut down bit by bit and by the time the building is almost finished, the old wall section has disappeared. I have seen this happen several times: once was at the mexican restaurant on Westheimer @ Walnut Bend and another example was on South Shepherd near Westheimer. Is this some type of ploy to save money on building permits or property taxes?

Gross. Just what this mall needs... another low end store catering to the "north of the freeway" crowd. This mall needs to finally finish up this renovation, and hopefully put something nice in place of Mervyn's.

That's nice, quotes and all.

Edited by ProHouston

• 2 weeks later...
Gross. Just what this mall needs... another low end store catering to the "north of the freeway" crowd. This mall needs to finally finish up this renovation, and hopefully put something nice in place of Mervyn's.

LOL! Take that Spring Shadows! :lol:

North of the Freeway crowd? What are you talking about? I know what you're insinuating but that's ridiculous.

I actually agree, I am amazed at how little the people north of I-10 going up Gessner care about their neighborhoods. There is SO much litter on the street compare to the south end going towards memorial. <_<

The comment was fair in my opinion. B)

I actually agree, I am amazed at how little the people north of I-10 going up Gessner care about their neighborhoods.

Maybe until you get to Long Point, but after that Spring Shadows is not too bad. Its not Teal or Frost Wood, but its a nice middle class area.

Maybe until you get to Long Point, but after that Spring Shadows is not too bad. Its not Teal or Frost Wood, but its a nice middle class area.

Mainly by "north of the freeway" I was referring to lower-income apartment dwellers who just loiter at the mall all day and make the shopping experience for the rest of the mall patrons uncomfortable. Its too bad that there's only the Galleria in Houston if you want a nice mall with all the important stores and a low amount of loiterers.

Mainly by "north of the freeway" I was referring to lower-income apartment dwellers who just loiter at the mall all day and make the shopping experience for the rest of the mall patrons uncomfortable. Its too bad that there's only the Galleria in Houston if you want a nice mall with all the important stores and a low amount of loiterers.

Wow, I'm going to have to disagree with you there. I get dragged down to the Memorial City Mall about once every two weeks, and at all different times of the day. I've yet to take notice to an obscene amount of trouble making loiterers. Maybe they're all ice-skating when I go?

If anything I always find the Galleria to be crowded with more loiterers from all the teenagers going there because its a "cool" place to go.

Edited by Jeebus

too bad that there's only the Galleria in Houston if you want a nice mall with all the important stores and a low amount of loiterers.

You must have not been there for the All-star game (Baseball and Basketball), Superbowl Weekend, The Essence Festival, etc.

The Houston Galleria is the BIGGEST target of anything touristy that has the potential to bring Hollywood celebrities to Houston, and causes a mad rush of "star-struck" fans to clog the stores, especially Neiman Marcus.

It is a cirucs on those days, just seeing the people wander around looking to see if Jessica Simpson is looking at a perfume.

• Like 1

You must have not been there for the All-star game (Baseball and Basketball), Superbowl Weekend, The Essence Festival, etc.

The Houston Galleria is the BIGGEST target of anything touristy that has the potential to bring Hollywood celebrities to Houston, and causes a mad rush of "star-struck" fans to clog the stores, especially Neiman Marcus.

It is a cirucs on those days, just seeing the people wander around looking to see if Jessica Simpson is looking at a perfume.

I will grant you that even the Galleria can have too many people too. But at least for the most part they're not very ghetto. I just wish that Houston could finally get a mall that poor people wouldn't want to go to. I hate it when I'm trying to park and make a quick trip to Nordstrom or wherever and all these people who don't buy anything have taken up all the spots and are clogging the stores.

Evacuees need clothes too

I love Old Navy! Sheesh...*shakes head* if it was that low-end, I don't think they'd put one on Post Oak/Westheimer.

The area directly north of I-10 and south of Long Point is totally Ghetto, you are right about that. Spring Shadows is really nice though, they've done a lot with it!

• Like 1

I hate it when I'm trying to park and make a quick trip to Nordstrom or wherever and all these people who don't buy anything have taken up all the spots

Well, I hate it when I have a hockey game and all these people who are buying stuff have taken up all the spots next to the rink. B) Hauling my gear across a mile of pavement in the summer is no fun at all.

Edited by sunsets
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Nope.

Here's some news on Roger Clemen's new Sports Grill at Memorial City Mall as well as news of what will go into the old Mervin's site:

Mall throws curve to stall Rocket's sports grill

Houston Business Journal - December 29, 2006by Allison WollamHouston Business Journal

Print this Article Email this Article Reprints RSS Feeds Most Viewed Most Emailed

Roger Clemens announcing the Rocket Sports Grill last year: Site delays have changed the sign to

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
interesting location for a development such as this. IMO a mall just doesn't provide the right atmosphere.

The Mall of America has a great aquarium.

So does the West Edmonton Mall (is it still the world's largest mall?)

The Dubai Aquarium is currently being constructed inside the also being constructed Dubai Mall.

In addition, I've seen at least two aquariums that were house at or near the tops of skyscrapers in Tokyo which also contained offices, and shopping malls.

I think the idea is to bring the aquarium to the people, instead of making them slog out to your patch of land.

I think the whole area right there is turning into the 4th downtown. Downtown, Uptown, Medical Center and now this area. Wonder what they will nickname it? Since Town Centre just describes that one devlopment some other phrase will be needed to describe that whole area of Gessner to the Beltway. Town West?

I love that the one they are building in NY is located in FISHKILL NY....... :rolleyes:

• Like 1

The Mall of America has a great aquarium.

So does the West Edmonton Mall (is it still the world's largest mall?)

The Dubai Aquarium is currently being constructed inside the also being constructed Dubai Mall.

In addition, I've seen at least two aquariums that were house at or near the tops of skyscrapers in Tokyo which also contained offices, and shopping malls.

I think the idea is to bring the aquarium to the people, instead of making them slog out to your patch of land.

guess i'm a little leery on the quality of the place. if something is great i don't think a mall would be the best place to showcase it. if they want to do a fertitta fest, then a mall would be a perfect place.

Nope.

Here's some news on Roger Clemen's new Sports Grill at Memorial City Mall as well as news of what will go into the old Mervin's site:

http://houston.bizjournals.com/houston/sto...7627600^1395852

So, what happened to this joke of a restaurant???

Roger Clemens' Rocket Sports Grill

• The title was changed to Memorial City Mall Developments