I understand the concern over not having developments in downtown & midtown, but what I don't understand is why one would curse this developer for building around their already existing developments?

Midtown & Downtown will get their turn, and when they do - ALL will be envious. I'm sure of it. We just need to wait until the time is right for the best development for those areas to come in and take shape.

I agree. This developer is simply expanding what is already there. Besides, what would we have there if the developers didnt build this? Strip malls? Usual big-box retailers? Parking lots? Vacant land? No, thank you. I would rather see some cool mixed-use developments like these. Now we would all like to see some exciting projects in midtown or downtown. However, while thats not happening, we can at least enjoy what's happening elsewhere. Besides, one thing is sure. This particular developer wasn't going to downtown anyway.

Thank you! I'm not a big fan of ever expanding sprawl, but please, that area of the city has been heavily developed since the early 1960s!!

I'm with you and don't like the sprawl happening out in the Katy area, etc. BUT, like you said, if people have a problem with "sprawl" this area, maybe they should've spoken up in the early 50s when neighborhoods were being developed. Memorial Bend, for example, is 50 years old ( Memorial Bend Development ). This area is anything but new - it is well-established and just as old as Meyerland, Braes Heights, Afton Oaks, Ayrshire, Tanglewood, etc. Warrenton and Whispering Oaks (SE corner of Gessner and Memorial Drive) were being built in 1952, three years before Meyerland. Warrenton Article

Actually, the 200 acres includes the mall itself, BUT, they still have ALOT of devlopment to do, including the construction of new buildings on the existing parking lot, etc.

I just don't understand.

I kind of get where you are coming from, but it is better than what is over there now. Of course this project would be nice in downtown, but the developer does not own any land in downtown, where land prices are through the roof. Plus there is not enough land in downtown or midtown for this huge of a development. Plus if this were in downtown, the project would probably be close to 1 billion or well over considering the price of land out there. I know you do not like sprawl, from reading some of your post on here, but it would be a nice place to visit, and it is not like it is in the suburbs or anyhting. We are talking not that far from the Galleria.

I just don't understand.

The area is densly populated. Sure it is not Downtown (which is not densly populated) or Midtown, but this area is obviously ready for this type of development. The mall has transformed into probably the #2 Mall in the city and with a successfull malls come all the ancillary developmeny.

OK, I have no real way to quantify Memorial City as the #2 mall in the city, but I can not think of a nicer mall with better tenants besdies the Galleria.

The area is densly populated.  Sure it is not Downtown (which is not densly populated) or Midtown, but this area is obviously ready for this type of development.  The mall has transformed into probably the #2 Mall in the city and with a successfull malls come all the ancillary developmeny. 

OK,  I have no real way to quantify Memorial City as the #2 mall in the city, but I can not think of a nicer mall with better tenants besdies the Galleria.

Well, actually, it is # 2 mall in terms of size/retail space. Indeed, it is the 17th largest malls in the nation.

The list as of 2004 is at the following with Memorial City #17 and the Galleria at #5. It looks like it is measuring the malls by Retail space and not total space so Mall of America is not actually #1 but #4.

http://www.ecsu.ctstateu.edu/depts/amerst/MallsLarge.htm

What amazes me is the almost all the malls on this list are over 10 years old and most are over 20 and 30 years old. I guess they do not build them like they used to. Of oourse the Galleria has continued to grow and grow. It was probably less that 1 million SQ Ft when first constructed.

Thanks for the list. Very interesting.

What amazes me is the almost all the malls on this list are over 10 years old and most are over 20 and 30 years old.    I guess they do not build them like they used to.  Of oourse the Galleria has continued to grow and grow.    It was probably less that 1 million SQ Ft when first constructed. 

Thanks for the list.  Very interesting.

Yeah..the Galleria was only 600,00 sq ft when it was first built. I read this on wikipedia (unless the article is wrong).

Great news for the Memorial Area!

Wow, good catch, TB. It seems the architecture would blend in with the existing area. I was concerned that they would try to forge yet another brick/stucco collaboration in there, like they tend to do with so many intown projects. I can't really say if I like the design as it stands now, as it's really just a drawing and a lot of the finite design detail is hard to digest but at the very least it looks like a break from the other mixed-used projects that are on the table.

Wow, good catch, TB. It seems the architecture would blend in with the existing area. I was concerned that they would try to forge yet another brick/stucco collaboration in there, like they tend to do with so many intown projects. I can't really say if I like the design as it stands now, as it's really just a drawing and a lot of the finite design detail is hard to digest but at the very least it looks like a break from the other mixed-used projects that are on the table.

The rendering looks like it includes a highrise office building, a midrise office (probably medical) and a midrise residential. I did not see any retail. They must be keeping the retail closer to the mall.

I don't think much retail will happend in this portion of the development. It seems it will complement the hospital more. It may have some sort of food court for employees and visitors.

I think most of the retail will be placed around the Mall area.

I would be much happier if these restaurants were going on the bottom floor of buildings kind of like Farrago in midtown, but here is one of the eateries to go in the project. What do you think? Do you agree that it would look better if it were ground level below residential or office?

Denis

Thanks for the artist's rendering of the "gateway" at Memorial City, TB!

Does the building at front right strike anybody else as a dedevelopment of the original Memorial City Hospital tower? I remember watching the remodeling of that building with much interest in the late 80's or early 90's. It appeared that the added floors and exterior facade were constructed independent of the existing structure... i.e., that the old interior and lower floors could be demolished without any impact on the newer shell and upper floors. It's purely speculation on my part, but it would seem to make good economic sense, especially since the lower floors of that building are all but vacant at this point. The area of the hospital complex immediately south of the old hospital tower is deteriorating and appears prepped for demolishing. B)

The Memorial City and Town & Country are not the same project... MC is Metro National & Town & Country is Midway Companies. See artist renditions of Midway Companies' plan for T&C at http://www.midwaycompanies.com/Projects/_/town_country.asp .

Both projects are within the boundaries of Memorial City TIRZ #17. Yep, that's the "blighted" area of Memorial (wink wink) that, but for your redirected tax dollars to save it, would have continued in a downward spiral of economic decline.

http://www.houstontx.gov/planning/economic_dev/tirz.htm

The Memorial City Redevelopment Authority continues to promise a website (soon???) to keep you informed about its plans for your money.

Beatty, Harvey & Associates is posting info and photos on their website about plans for a Majestic Seas Aquarium at Memorial City...

http://www.bha-architects.com/markets/other.html