HAIF - Houston's original social media

• 5 months later...

The Pita Pit on the corner of Fountainview and Westheimer (5887 Westheimer) is no more, it never even opened. They just got the sign up. The landlord put the suite up for lease.

BTW, visit their website, have you seen a more ridiculous mascot?

pitapit_adpages.jpg

I understanding the whole "take your product and add human features" to make a mascot, but this pita face borders on creepy.

I miss puffy tacos. :( No one has them in Houston. (or at least not that I know of....)

loma linda's are usually puffy. they fry em there.

edit: the uniformity of that henry's one is unique.

Edited by musicman

It's the Pita version of Subway. I had one in Seattle and it was pretty good. It doesn't compare to some family-run shops (Shawarma King on Hillcroft is my favorite), but it's still good. It'd be great if they built one of these close by in Midtown.

The Pita Pit on the corner of Fountainview and Westheimer (5887 Westheimer) is no more, it never even opened. They just got the sign up. The landlord put the suite up for lease.

pitapit_adpages.jpg

I understanding the whole "take your product and add human features" to make a mascot, but this pita face borders on creepy.

The one in the Greenway Plaza food court closed. I didn't care for it much personally. I found everything I tried to be incredibly salty. I'm still surprised they closed. It seemed fairly popular.

• 2 months later...

pitapit_adpages.jpg

Scratch that, it opened this weekend.

I guess the sign was for next door.

It would be kinda tough to eat in that location, remembering what was in there previously. :D

The "World News Stand" Adult Video Shop :P. I think that was on the corner, this is the next rental space next to the corner.

I could be wrong though.

Edited by Pumapayam
  • 8 months later...

This thread is making me hungry. And I'm stuck on the UH campus, where my choices include a couple of pizza huts and a chick fil-A. sad.gif

wendy's too, and a subway in the Law school right? not bad, where i went to school i had no choice but campus food or subway (which is good but gets old fast when its the only option).

i had pita pit once in orlando. i was drunk and not impressed, maybe i'll give it a shot sober.

Yep, all officially off the map - I guess the franchise just couldn't hack it here.

http://www.pitapitus...ain.php?page=48

I think the new restaurant is this one (from B4-U-EAT:):

The Fish Place

5887 Westheimer Rd (Coming Soon)

Houston TX 77057

The Sugar Land location also changed over to the Fish Place.

"Fish" seems like the wrong word for a seafood lunch spot, imo.

Why? Whats wrong with fish for lunch?

Brand linguistics and perceived connotations. There's nothing wrong with "fish" for lunch, but compare it to some testable market research and you'll find words like "seafood" are more likely to generate positive connotations.

Words matter.

Edited by LegacyTree
  • Like 1

But I like fish AND seafood!

Hmmm...Maybe Pita Pit suffered from poor brand linguistics? Maybe if they were the Pita Palace (or Shawarma King...)

Shawarma King already exists in Houston. My *guess* is that the availability of authentic middle-eastern food in Houston is one reason that Pita Pit failed. Like you said earlier, who wants an Anglicized version of middle-eastern food? Kind of defeats the point. But maybe there's an opening for Fadi's or Shawarma King to open a chain of small takeout restaurants...

The only time I had Pita Pit was in Portland around 3am (delayed flight, no dinner, blah blah) - the food was good and it was the only place near me I could find that was open.

Does anyone know if any of the former Houston locations were open that late? That was a major draw..