Macy's At 4810 Almeda Rd.

sarahiki

Macy's stove works on the corner of Almeda and Binz has been demolished. It was a wreck, but it was a pretty old building. Really nice details; I'm not an architectural historian, but I'm thinking 20's, 30's? There was grass growing on the roof, however. I guess it couldn't have been saved even if someone wanted to, which they probably didn't.

Does anyone know what is going to be built on that corner? It's a large lot, right near 288. I'm hoping for a little urban grocery store like a Tesco but I don't expect anything so good.

Also, the old abandoned gas station across the street from it was seriously compromised by the storm... it looks like a major lawsuit waiting to happen right now. I hope that spurs someone to do something with that property.

Anyone have any info on plans for this part of Almeda Road?

Macy's stove works on the corner of Almeda and Binz has been demolished. It was a wreck, but it was a pretty old building. Really nice details; I'm not an architectural historian, but I'm thinking 20's, 30's? There was grass growing on the roof, however. I guess it couldn't have been saved even if someone wanted to, which they probably didn't.

Does anyone know what is going to be built on that corner? It's a large lot, right near 288. I'm hoping for a little urban grocery store like a Tesco but I don't expect anything so good.

Also, the old abandoned gas station across the street from it was seriously compromised by the storm... it looks like a major lawsuit waiting to happen right now. I hope that spurs someone to do something with that property.

Anyone have any info on plans for this part of Almeda Road?

I noticed both of these items as well. This strip of Almeda seems to have a lot of potential based on location, and the fact that there is some great pieces of architecture around here. If I had money, I would invest in land along this strip. It sort of has that Washington Ave feel.

I noticed both of these items as well. This strip of Almeda seems to have a lot of potential based on location, and the fact that there is some great pieces of architecture around here. If I had money, I would invest in land along this strip. It sort of has that Washington Ave feel.

I've also thought of the Washington Ave comparison. I hope it is thoughtfully developed. If I see another check-cashing or bail bond place open up I'm gonna lose it.

I've also thought of the Washington Ave comparison. I hope it is thoughtfully developed. If I see another check-cashing or bail bond place open up I'm gonna lose it.

What bothers me is the number of gas stations on prime real estate. Every block it seems like there is a Valero. I also would love to see the 99 cent stores go away. I would love to see some residential proposals right on Almeda with some street level access. It doesn't have to be anything large, just significant enough to fill in some of the empty lots. This strip could turn into a very active corridor very quickly based on the adjoining Museum District neighborhood, the new large apartment complexes, and the high rises close by. There are only a few real estate holes to fill in.

Most of the Art-Deco style detailing (and the side yard wall) was added in a remodeling about 1995 or so. Before that it looked really run down.

Wow, that's interesting. So it must have still been a pretty active business at that point? I was surprised, as that side wall came down, to see all the stoves still inside.

What bothers me is the number of gas stations on prime real estate. Every block it seems like there is a Valero. I also would love to see the 99 cent stores go away. I would love to see some residential proposals right on Almeda with some street level access. It doesn't have to be anything large, just significant enough to fill in some of the empty lots. This strip could turn into a very active corridor very quickly based on the adjoining Museum District neighborhood, the new large apartment complexes, and the high rises close by. There are only a few real estate holes to fill in.

Land price expectations on upper Almeda are out of this world. They're going to have to adjust back down to reality before there's much more activity in that area.

Wow, that's interesting. So it must have still been a pretty active business at that point? I was surprised, as that side wall came down, to see all the stoves still inside.

This HAIF thread has links to a couple of Chron articles about the business and the original owner. They moved to 1506 Truxillo, not sure if they are still there.

I had a friend who worked at Macy's circa 1990. According to him, the building had already been severely damaged in a storm (Carla? a tornado?) in the early 60s, and had lost an upper story.

The business wasn't exactly a model of integrity. They had a ficticious bookkeeper named Maria Rodriguez, and whenever anyone complained about shoddy service or overcharging, they'd refer him to Maria, who was always "out of the office", or "on vacation". Eventually the customer would give up in frustration.

Macy also used to claim that the BBB was founded by Al Capone. <_<

• The title was changed to Macy's At 4810 Almeda Rd.

Archived