Sign in to follow this  
Karick42

Comparing West University Place & Southside Place to Dallas' University Park & Highland Park Area

I think there are a lot of great things about both areas but I would like to hear your arguments on this subject. I will post my opinions tomorrow.

Hi,

Some of the more pricey areas in Highland Park tend to remind me more of River Oaks than West U or Southside Place..........

One such example is the larger lot size--Many Estate sized homes in Highland Park have very large lots--even "acreage"--just like some of the high end estate homes in River Oaks area............

You really don't find that too often in West U or Southside Place anymore--I live in West U, but I have only been there since early summer ( We moved down from The Woodlands---too far to drive anymore!!!) so I am not a seasoned expert--although I have spent more time in the Houston area(s) than I did in The "Woods" for the 7+ years that I have spent here in Texas

Not knowing about the general "make-up/mindset" of the population of either Highland Park, or University Park--I will let other, more informed posters handle that.......issue :lol:

Also the schools that serve most of Highland Park and all of University Park are very homogeneous in makeup: http://www.schooldigger.com/go/TX/schools/...357/school.aspx

Meanwhile Lamar High School, which serves West U, has many different socioeconomic and racial groups: http://www.schooldigger.com/go/TX/schools/...512/school.aspx

Pershing Middle: http://www.schooldigger.com/go/TX/schools/...553/school.aspx

Pin Oak Middle: http://www.schooldigger.com/go/TX/schools/...274/school.aspx

West U Elementary: http://www.schooldigger.com/go/TX/schools/...608/school.aspx

Back to post my feelings on the subject.

West University Place & South Side Place are both very nice areas right next to each other with a nice convenience to the Med Center, Galleria area and Downtown but there are definitely good and bad. I wish I had time to list everything!

Negatives: -One of the worst things that comes to mind is the potential for heavy flooding in the area. I have seen pictures of what happened during Allison and seeing things like that almost deterred my wife and I from moving into the immediate area.

-Traffic congestion in the area can be pretty awful at times, especially with all of the construction that is going on.

-Lack of room going down streets...I know it's petty but it can be frustrating when people park off of the curb.

Those are some of the negatives I can think of right now...anyone else have any?

Positives:-As stated earlier, the convenience to the Med Center & Rice University, Galleria area and Downtown are really nice. Easy to avoid the highways and get to where you need to be in the major areas.

-Beautiful tree-lined streets, especially when you get closer to Rice.

-Good mixture of older homes and newer homes in the neighborhoods.

-Seem to be somewhat more affordable than their Dallas counterparts.

-Great proximity to the major Universities in Houston IE Rice, U of H, HBU and the Med Schools.

-Patrolled very well. Gee, I wonder why? ^_^

As for the University Park & Highland Park areas. I can't find too many negatives here plus, I have only seen the area a couple of times with my wife. Houston is different because we live here.

Negatives:-If I had to say one it would probably be the prices. Houston seems to have the beat in the pricing of the homes but I could be wrong.

-I remember some of their roads being a little narrow as well.

Positives: -Great proximity to Uptown & Downtown Dallas

-Right down the street from SMU.

-Great little shops and eateries, especially Stromboli Cafe!

-Great schools!

-Very well established older homes.

The University Park & Highland Park area wins hands down in my book because of a better feel to me. Don't get me wrong, I love both areas but if I had to choose one to live in that's what I would pick.

For an affluent area as West. U, the roads are messed up. My car alignment got messed up driving around there over a few months.

I definitely agree with you on this one. To add to it they are doing a lot of construction in the area, which makes things very inconvenient at times...short term complaint??? Yes, but hopefully they capitalize on the road improvements.

Back to post my feelings on the subject.

West University Place & South Side Place are both very nice areas right next to each other with a nice convenience to the Med Center, Galleria area and Downtown but there are definitely good and bad. I wish I had time to list everything!

Negatives: -One of the worst things that comes to mind is the potential for heavy flooding in the area. I have seen pictures of what happened during Allison and seeing things like that almost deterred my wife and I from moving into the immediate area.

-Traffic congestion in the area can be pretty awful at times, especially with all of the construction that is going on.

-Lack of room going down streets...I know it's petty but it can be frustrating when people park off of the curb.

Those are some of the negatives I can think of right now...anyone else have any?

Positives:-As stated earlier, the convenience to the Med Center & Rice University, Galleria area and Downtown are really nice. Easy to avoid the highways and get to where you need to be in the major areas.

-Beautiful tree-lined streets, especially when you get closer to Rice.

-Good mixture of older homes and newer homes in the neighborhoods.

-Seem to be somewhat more affordable than their Dallas counterparts.

-Great proximity to the major Universities in Houston IE Rice, U of H, HBU and the Med Schools.

-Patrolled very well. Gee, I wonder why? ^_^

As for the University Park & Highland Park areas. I can't find too many negatives here plus, I have only seen the area a couple of times with my wife. Houston is different because we live here.

Negatives:-If I had to say one it would probably be the prices. Houston seems to have the beat in the pricing of the homes but I could be wrong.

-I remember some of their roads being a little narrow as well.

Positives: -Great proximity to Uptown & Downtown Dallas

-Right down the street from SMU.

-Great little shops and eateries, especially Stromboli Cafe!

-Great schools!

-Very well established older homes.

The University Park & Highland Park area wins hands down in my book because of a better feel to me. Don't get me wrong, I love both areas but if I had to choose one to live in that's what I would pick.

I definitely agree with you on this one. To add to it they are doing a lot of construction in the area, which makes things very inconvenient at times...short term complaint??? Yes, but hopefully they capitalize on the road improvements.

I agree on the street width issue for West U. Luckily they don't allow people to rent out their garage apartments and thus fill the streets with even more parked cars. Can't exactly expand the street widths without cutting into the already small lots sizes either!

Heee, my parents rented a garage apartment in West U. when I was born in 1952. Even then, renting the garage apartment was against the deed restrictions. I'm sure everyone living in those garage apartments are either hired help or nieces and nephews.