Crime Around La Fogata

Reefmonkey

Whenever we are in San Antonio, we like to have margaritas out on the patio at La Fogata, sometimes eat there too. We were there back in August, on a Saturday afternoon/early evening for a cocktail hour/early dinner. We finished up before dark. I had parked our Tahoe on the street just uphill of the restaurant. When we got back to the Tahoe, someone had jimmied the lock on the passenger side front door (which was facing the sidewalk). My wife had (unknown to me) left her iPod and digital camera in the center console, which was unlocked. ("First place they look, honey") and ,u stepson had left his Nintendo DS in the backseat. All that was gone, along all my stepson's games, with some various and sundry little things of small value. They pretty much grabbed anything they saw, regardless of its apparent value.

I filed a police report and the cop said they get a lot of complaints of auto breakins from La Fogata customers.

Just a word to the wise - don't make my wife's mistake - don't leave any valuables in your car if you are eating there, no matter how well hidden. We'll still go back to La Fogata, but there will be nothing to steal in our car next time

I'm so sorry that happened to you guys. What a spoiler on your outing!

It's not a good idea to leave anything in the car, anywhere. I won't even let my kiddo leave something like a notebook on the seat or floor of the car. It's not so much the value of the item(s)...it's the fact that who knows what will catch some asshat's eye and result in pricey damage to the vehicle in their attempt to gain access to the item(s).

In other words, I really don't want to have to shell out $200-$300 for a new window because somebody wanted to see what was in that idiotic 69 cent notebook (or what have you)! Sad that we have to be so vigilant, but that's the way of it.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm so sorry that happened to you guys. What a spoiler on your outing!

It's not a good idea to leave anything in the car, anywhere. I won't even let my kiddo leave something like a notebook on the seat or floor of the car. It's not so much the value of the item(s)...it's the fact that who knows what will catch some asshat's eye and result in pricey damage to the vehicle in their attempt to gain access to the item(s).

In other words, I really don't want to have to shell out $200-$300 for a new window because somebody wanted to see what was in that idiotic 69 cent notebook (or what have you)! Sad that we have to be so vigilant, but that's the way of it.

I know, I was so ticked at my wife for leaving that stuff in there. She said "I put it in the center console!" First place they look! I had left my laptop and mp3 player in our hotel room, assumed she had done the same, but she said she didn't because she thought the maids might steal it. In reality, unless something is left in plain sight, hotel staff don't often steal from guestrooms because they know they are the first to be accused.

When traveling, we put all of small electronics into a locked heavy-duty laptop case and cable lock it to the bed frame and/or headboard in the hotel room. The laptop is usually out being used, so we typically have it on its own cable lock too and try to always remember to slip it into the secured case as well before we leave the room. None of which will stop a truly determined thief of course, but it will definitely slow them down a bit and maybe make them consider that the room next door might be an easier target and more worth their time.

We recently spent a few bucks and bought some small, semi-hard cases for our cameras and iPods. They each have a small carabiner clip that makes it a cinch to hook them onto a belt loop, purse strap, etc., rather than leave them behind anywhere. They also help protect the small electronics from too much unnecessary wear and tear.

• 2 weeks later...

Is this the same "LaFogata" on Vance Jackson? If so, then that was originally the "Addax Ice House". I can remember going on vacations back in the 50's and 60's and having to go by there to visit one of my dad's cousins. It seemed that if you wanted to see him, that is where you would find him. The place had roll up garage doors with reach in ice chests, full of Pearl, Lone Star, Falstaff, Jax, Budweiser, Papst, and all the other good beers from years past. Of course there was coolers for soft drinks too. Nehi, Big Red, RC Cola, Coke (in 6 1/2 oz bottles), Orange Crush, Dr. Pepper. Some how they tasted better out of glass bottles. (recyleable too! How Green of us back then).

Yeah, That neighborhood is not exactly the crime free spot it once was, back in the early days of Wonderland Mall.

Is this the same "LaFogata" on Vance Jackson? If so, then that was originally the "Addax Ice House". I can remember going on vacations back in the 50's and 60's and having to go by there to visit one of my dad's cousins. It seemed that if you wanted to see him, that is where you would find him. The place had roll up garage doors with reach in ice chests, full of Pearl, Lone Star, Falstaff, Jax, Budweiser, Papst, and all the other good beers from years past. Of course there was coolers for soft drinks too. Nehi, Big Red, RC Cola, Coke (in 6 1/2 oz bottles), Orange Crush, Dr. Pepper. Some how they tasted better out of glass bottles. (recyleable too! How Green of us back then).

Yeah, That neighborhood is not exactly the crime free spot it once was, back in the early days of Wonderland Mall.

It is on Vance Jackson. I asked some people who know SA better than I do, and they say that La Fogata is not in the Addax Ice House location, but right next to it. There seems some confusion, though, one person said that La Fogata's site used to be Gomez Drive-In, and others say that is not possible as it is on a hill. There also was an old Del Mar Pharmacy nearby.

• 2 weeks later...

Plumber I hope you can answer this by days end.

Are most of the touristy places all around the river walk?

We plan to go and want to hit the shops that sell imported items or rather hand made stuff. I am sure most of the items are from Mexico or locally but we want to see where you can get huge crucifixes, maracas, hats etc.

Any ideas would be appreicated. I did go to some big and very crowded restuarant that had huge murals on the walls but cant recall the name. They said it had been there for decades. It was last December. That area seemed to have plenty of shops across the street. :D

Archived