hcad meeting

GREASER

I recently filed a complaint after recently purchasing a house and the seeing the appraisel went up by 22%. I realize this is normal, but after looking at the report closely it says the house was remodeled in 2007 (built in 1968), which is not true. It may have been repainted, and some mud spread here and there, but thats about it. When I went to pull comps in the immediate neighborhood, the new value was exactly in line with everyone elses, so I dont have any good comps to use...the only thing that bothers me at this point is the remodel note. I really dont have time to go to the hearing tomorrow and feel its a waste unless the remodel note will somehow affect me later. Any suggestions on how to proceed? Is it worth my time?

Your complaint is likely immaterial since you just bought the house and the sales price and appraisal are reset.

Nonetheless, if you have an appointment set I would still go just to keep the "no show" out of your file. HCAD is flakey and basically run by a bunch of Keystone Kops - if you were to not show up they might change something else in your account or make a "mistake" and adjust something somewhere that isn't supposed to be adjusted or isn't connected to your original complaint and then it might be even harder to fix it next year when you finally find out about it.

I guess what I am saying is that it's always good to hold their hand and talk slowly and don't do anything to surprise them. Canceling this late in the game will just confuse everyone over there.

ok...finally got power today...no the appraisel is 20k over what I paid. I have done extensive renovations..not sure what kinda follow up they have if I show crappy before pics and say "this is it".

they may have pics of the outside taken from the street however usually nothing beyond that

ok...finally got power today...no the appraisel is 20k over what I paid. I have done extensive renovations..not sure what kinda follow up they have if I show crappy before pics and say "this is it".

The date of appraisal is January 1, 2008. If you purchased the home after January 1, 2008, you absolutely should go to the hearing with proof of sale and date of sale. The appraisal should be reset to your purchase price. If you purchased just prior to January 1, 2008, you should still go and argue that the value could not have increased $20,000 in the short period of time.

Note: When you go to the meeting, do not treat the staff as if they are idiots or agents of the New World Order, or even the government at all. They've heard it all, and insulting them the way cotton is on here will not get you far. Remember, this is a negotiation. They have lots of leeway, including the option of telling you to take a hike. Keep that in mind. This is not a slap at cotton's well earned opinion of HCAD (I've read his issues with them on another thread), more of a reminder that you are there to get the lowest appraisal for yourself, not show solidarity with other homeowners.

The date of appraisal is January 1, 2008. If you purchased the home after January 1, 2008, you absolutely should go to the hearing with proof of sale and date of sale. The appraisal should be reset to your purchase price. If you purchased just prior to January 1, 2008, you should still go and argue that the value could not have increased $20,000 in the short period of time.

Note: When you go to the meeting, do not treat the staff as if they are idiots or agents of the New World Order, or even the government at all. They've heard it all, and insulting them the way cotton is on here will not get you far. Remember, this is a negotiation. They have lots of leeway, including the option of telling you to take a hike. Keep that in mind. This is not a slap at cotton's well earned opinion of HCAD (I've read his issues with them on another thread), more of a reminder that you are there to get the lowest appraisal for yourself, not show solidarity with other homeowners.

Does the sale price of the home always reset the HCAD appraisals? In my case I have a house I'm possibly buying for significantly lower than the appraised value. (I'm getting the house cheap and the appraised value is way too high.) Will they have to honor the sale price or will they just lower it to whatever they see fit?

Also, if I buy it now I might have the last 2 months of tax to pay myself. Is it possible to protest right away and pay two months on a new rate? Or do I have to wait until January 1, 2009?

Does the sale price of the home always reset the HCAD appraisals? In my case I have a house I'm possibly buying for significantly lower than the appraised value. (I'm getting the house cheap and the appraised value is way too high.) Will they have to honor the sale price or will they just lower it to whatever they see fit?

Also, if I buy it now I might have the last 2 months of tax to pay myself. Is it possible to protest right away and pay two months on a new rate? Or do I have to wait until January 1, 2009?

Some have said that if you buy it as a foreclosure then they'll ignore the sale price. I have no personal experience with such.

You have to wait until next year to protest, and you'll be paying taxes at the full rate for this year.

Some have said that if you buy it as a foreclosure then they'll ignore the sale price. I have no personal experience with such.

You have to wait until next year to protest, and you'll be paying taxes at the full rate for this year.

I had heard that too. This would be a short sell, however, so it should look just like any other sell. Plus the HCAD appraisal for that house is $50/sq ft more than the average for that neighborhood so it's already way out of whack.

I'm hoping to get it down to what I'm paying for it.

Archived