Sign in to follow this  
totheskies

The Great Grocer Race.... who will be the first to capitalize on the New East End?

as someone who may have some infuence on what happens to that old, ugly car lot on lockwood and harrisburg, across the street from the old s&s. what do yall suggest for a business there? i was thinking a full service gas station, car wash, inspection, food mart type set up. any other suggestions would be appreciated. thanks.

I've spoken with Frank Liu recently, and I get the impression that any binds he is in is by his own choosing. For the S&S site, he really wanted to see pedestrian-friendly, mixed-used development to take advantage of the adjacent light rail station, but couldn't find anyone interested in that kind of project and finally had to settle for a CVS. However, a manager at the Cullen Kroger said that Kroger will be taking over the CVS site at that location and expanding their operations, which they've apparently wanted to do for years. Hopefully they give the whole place a serious facelift in the process. Honestly, I'd like to see that whole building razed and have something new built with a more modestly sized parking lot. I seriously abhor that parking lot.

This may be more proof of this slowly starting to take place. I dipped my head into the CVS on Polk this past Saturday and they were having a moving sale. Not a closing sale--but a moving sale. That coupled with the new on HBG being nearly finished and voila, hopefully the Kroger changes will be soon follow!

UPDATE: The Cullen CVS moves to the new Harrisburg location on May 1!

Edited by GovernorAggie

This may be more proof of this slowly starting to take place. I dipped my head into the CVS on Polk this past Saturday and they were having a moving sale. Not a closing sale--but a moving sale. That coupled with the new on HBG being nearly finished and voila, hopefully the Kroger changes will be soon follow!

UPDATE: The Cullen CVS moves to the new Harrisburg location on May 1!

Nice, I figured this would be the case.

But what are we going to do about Combat Kroger??? Now they'll just have empty property attached to the already unimpressive store.

We've got to get Eastwood Civic and EaDo together so we can get a decent grocery store!!

Wonder how many of you in the Near East End got a red card in the mail yesterday?

Came from Downtown District.

Here is what it says:

Do you want a Downtown Grocery Store?

Please go to www.houstondowntown.com to fill out the DT grocery survey. It only takes 5 minutes - we're listening!

**This survey will be LIVE through April 26, 2009**

Says to tell your friends and neighbors!

Go for it! :D

Wonder how many of you in the Near East End got a red card in the mail yesterday?

Came from Downtown District.

Here is what it says:

Do you want a Downtown Grocery Store?

Please go to www.houstondowntown.com to fill out the DT grocery survey. It only takes 5 minutes - we're listening!

**This survey will be LIVE through April 26, 2009**

Says to tell your friends and neighbors!

Go for it! :D

heh, mine was green http://www.houstonarchitecture.info/haif/i...showtopic=20086

I voted once from home and once from the office. should I vote from other computers in the office too? hmmm

Took a tour of One Park Place last weekend (Side thought: what an expensive place! and you would not believe the low quality of the finishes! The washers are top loaders. I asked if I could bring my own much better washer and was told I could as long as I paid for the storage of the one they supply with the apartment)

Anyway, during the tour the woman mentioned that they are in talks with Whole Foods and Central Market to open a grocery store on the first floor. I can get organic food from the farmers markets so - if these are the choices - I would much prefer they get Central Market.

However, I think the best way to drive people towards downtown on weekends and after work hours would be a Trader Joe's, since it'd be the only one in the city (or the state for that matter)

I know I'm behind times again, but has anything happened to the Kroger on Polk? It's been several months since the last posts here......

There used to be a Kroger on Wayside at Polk. A nice large one where I was a loyal shopper for twenty something years. They closed some years ago, after Fiesta opened.

I know I'm behind times again, but has anything happened to the Kroger on Polk? It's been several months since the last posts here......

There used to be a Kroger on Wayside at Polk. A nice large one where I was a loyal shopper for twenty something years. They closed some years ago, after Fiesta opened.

"Combat Kroger" is still sitting there, just like always. And the former CVS next to it is still vacant.

If - and when - there are any positive changes, you'll hear a lot of whooping and hollering from the Eastwood area contingent on this forum.

Edited by silverartfox

Old Thread Bump. Who owns the former Stewart & Stevenson land? What was it for S&S HQ? Light Rail may bring some this thread back to life! How is the neighborhood currently? Still transforming, honestly have no clue.

Not sure, Frank Liu may still own that? A few years back there were rumors of a suburban-style strip mall. Latest is that the not for profit architecutral salvage Historic Houston has moved into some donated space in the remaining warehouse structures (with the murals). The Lockwood station landing is built and there's even benches. Kombat Krog on Cullen is still hanging in there. They've improved some and I now buy produce and they carry more white-people brands like Fage yogurt. I see many more college/20s kids moving into rentals in the area. Some early  yuppies from 10 and plus years ago moving out and on. A few new builds (crudely done faux craftsman,  but not as bad as the usual brother-in-law addition to grandma's house you see here) going in on empty lots. Prices still in line with when I bought high in 2007, for the most part.  The eastwood area is great. No regrets on settling here. And mercifully, the D&W has remained assclown-free. Lately when I'm in the Heights, and I feel like I'm in some forced lifestyle- zone of urban caricature, I really appreciate the east end. Keeping it real, as the shirts say,  at least for now.

Of course 2 more years and people will be saying that about the heart of the 3rd ward. Onward, urban lifestyle consumers!

Crunchtastic - thank you for the update. Very interesting stuff.

Re-reading this thread from the beginning seems inevitable that some lucky or progressive grocery store could be pivotal in the success of the changing neighborhood. I work with HEB all the time and could picture a very successful store of any kind in this hood!

There is the Walmart that's supposed to be going in at Wayside. Granted all they've done so far is tear down the old buildings and it's been sitting there for months with no activity. I'm not a huge fan of grocery shopping at Walmart, but I'll give it the old college try. At the very least it will siphon some people away from the HEB at Gulfgate which might make it easier to shop there.

I’m happy to revive a +5 year old thread as Combat Kroger is being renovated tonight. I went in today as a new east ender and I as happy they had half the stuff I needed, but didn’t live up to it’s name. There was a Mercedes and Range Rover in the parking lot. I am very interested in the spiritual apothecary across the street & Super Happy Funland.

yeah, I pop in that Kroger about once a week for various sundries. Sometimes I take the Range Rover, sometimes I take the Mercedes.

jk about the cars, but I do go there once a week for random stuff.

I am happy with the complete random demographic that I always see.

On 6/23/2018 at 10:30 PM, Montrose1100 said:

I’m happy to revive a +5 year old thread as Combat Kroger is being renovated tonight. I went in today as a new east ender and I as happy they had half the stuff I needed, but didn’t live up to it’s name. There was a Mercedes and Range Rover in the parking lot. I am very interested in the spiritual apothecary across the street & Super Happy Funland.

On 6/26/2018 at 1:24 PM, samagon said:

yeah, I pop in that Kroger about once a week for various sundries. Sometimes I take the Range Rover, sometimes I take the Mercedes.

jk about the cars, but I do go there once a week for random stuff.

I am happy with the complete random demographic that I always see.

Heard some rumors that the Krogers might be expanding and taking over the dollar store area next door. Has anyone heard anything like this?

Someone mentioned on Next Door that they spoke to the Kroger manager and they said after the Dollar General lease ends next door in two years that the Kroger will expand into that space. 

On 7/2/2018 at 10:28 PM, intencity77 said:

Someone mentioned on Next Door that they spoke to the Kroger manager and they said after the Dollar General lease ends next door in two years that the Kroger will expand into that space. 

That's the rumor...Million dollar renovations have already started. 

Has anyone been to the HEB in Gulf Gate? I was at the Home Depot there and decided to check it out. Had about 75% of the stuff I needed. I guess I’ll have to go to the one on W Alabama.

41 minutes ago, Montrose1100 said:

Has anyone been to the HEB in Gulf Gate? I was at the Home Depot there and decided to check it out. Had about 75% of the stuff I needed. I guess I’ll have to go to the one on W Alabama.

Yeah my wife hates going to the Gulf Gate HEB for that reason, as well as how crowded it gets. I don't mind it since I used to go there before the Montrose one opened up.

19 hours ago, Montrose1100 said:

Probably because GulfGate is just an HEB.  West Alabama is a "Market," their cross between a regular HEB and a Central Market.

I went to HEB at gulfgate about a month ago. There were quite a few fruit flies that had taken up residence in the produce section. Didn't tell a manager just walked out and haven't been back since.

This particular HEB never seems to be well maintained. Lots of clutter, and that makes it feel not so clean.

I'm perfectly happy with Fiesta.