99 Cents Only leaving Houston and Texas

citykid09

I've only been in them a few times, but it never really seemed to me like they were doing enough business to justify their existence. Perhaps the cost of living is already so low here that it is harder for them to compete. Or perhaps our consumers are just better at reading labels and making price comparisons on the basis of volume than are consumers from other states.

When you sell the majority of your stock for roughly a dollar, you're likely to need a higher volume of customers buying those items than a more upscale store. Granted, you pay less on the dollar for your inventory but still. From my experience, the The 99 Cents Store seemed to have merely an okay volume of customers on a daily basis, and considering the number of competitors in this retail niche, that's not very distinguishing.

Not surprised they decided to cut out some of their inventory of stores. Sometimes, you can expand by too much and too quickly.

This will, unfortunately, create a number of big box retail vacancies across the metro at least for the short term. It'll be interesting to see what replaces them.

They're not in great locations. Don't expect to be dazzled.

There's one off of Westheimer, across from Shepherd Plaza.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&...mp;cbp=1,0,,0,5

One may also wonder what will happen their distribution center off of 99@I-10 in Katy...

• 3 months later...
So. . . why are they still here :unsure: , did they forget they made a public press release about pulling out of Texas. . . Hello??? :rolleyes:

I heard that they are now staying open because they are doing good with the bad economy. And I also heard that Mark Cuban (owner of the Dallas Mavericks) might buy the Texas locations and change the name to "Bigger Better Value." So those are 2 different rumors that I have heard.

I heard that they are now staying open because they are doing good with the bad economy. And I also heard that Mark Cuban (owner of the Dallas Mavericks) might buy the Texas locations and change the name to "Bigger Better Value." So those are 2 different rumors that I have heard.

Any online print documents that reflect these rumors?

• 2 weeks later...
Ok, so maybe they'll be around for a while, save some closures...

http://houston.bizjournals.com/houston/sto...02/daily38.html

One-third of the City of Commerce, Calif.-based retailer’s Texas stores will close by March 28, the company’s fiscal year-end, but the board voted to continue operations in the remaining two-thirds of its Texas stores and continue to operate its distribution center in the state to support these stores.

Fluff puff, so where are the 1/3 of the stores are they closing by March 28th?

Can we have a store list here Allison Wollam. . . addresses? How many of the Houston 20 will shut down.

Also, I like how she had to point out one-third and two-thirds in the same sentence, as if we could not deduced the obvious.

funny-pictures-captain-obvious-cat.jpg?w=499&h=374

I came across something that stated the 99 Cent Store is reconsidering its pullout of Texas. I just can't remember where I saw it.

This has to be the funniest post of the day. Good one.

Maybe in the two posts directly above yours.

;)

Archived