Where can a guy get a decent haircut?

t0ddlg

I take me and my two boys every month or so to get our hair cut at these places, and it looks good that day and maybe the next few, but then it looks terrible (especially on the boys, uneven, etc.)

My wife goes to some high dollar salon in Spring, and I've gone before, and they do an awesome job, but you gotta make appointments forever in advance, and it costs an arm and a leg, etc. And all I want is the "Ceasar" or George Clooney look of a few years back, nothing fancy.*

Is there an inbetween for me? I'd prefer walk-in, and even waiting for a good stylist (for me at least.)

Help...

Todd (looking shaggy)

*http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caesar_cut

I had a good laugh at this............there is no answer for walk-in type places. I used to spend $30 for a basic cut with shampoo but hated making appts.

The problem with the places you noted is the staff changes constantly.

A great haircut is only as good as the stylist............

If you find someone you like, alway ask for them. Call in advance and ask their work schedule. You may have to wait a little longer but worth it.

Also, most of these places can put notes about how you like your cut in the PC system. Mine says "whatever the wife says".

If you feel comfortable talking to that stylist, give her your email address to let you know if he/she moves to a different shop.

Using the correct lingo to tell them how to cut your hair helps a lot too.

A good stylist should do a basic cut in 5-10 minutes and not have to constantly go over the same areas.

Put pics of you and your kids after a good cut in your wallet........

I am not shy about asking who I get how long they have been cutting hair...........or going back a day or two later to have them redo it for free.......

There's a place in Katy Mills Mall that I and my family have used since the mall opened up....low turnover on the staff, do a good job, good price and walk ins accepted. When you go in the door down by Steve and Berry's (old Jillians) right in front of you is one of the jewlery stores and they are just to the right. Ask for Stephanie, she does a great job.

I used to go to a place next to the Fiesta on Alabama. Scary looking, with bars across all the windows and door. But inside the people were very friendly and did a good job for a good price. It's one of those manly barber shops where a dad would take his son in the 60's or 70's. Of course, today it looks like a trip back in time, but it fits my vision of what a barber shop should be better than most chain places.

I'm insanely loyal to my stylists/Barbers. When mine died, I was a barber shop gypsy for awhile, wasn't satisfied and would simply go from one place to another place until I was satisfied.... Looking for Mr. Goodcut? Yeah, I was a stylistic whore for years.

Well I am looking forward to the Roosters over by La Centerra Opening up.

I have seen them in other cities and usually are very nice. Geared strictly for men. Prices seem about the same as a salon but if they can manage not to try to break a personal best on getting me out of the chair and then looking for a tip.

Seriously I had one gal in I believe it was TGF that must have been working on her career to be a professional Sheep trimer. I literaly had to pull my head away and ask her if she was in a rush or thought I was a sheep (no kidding). I don't have all what I used to up there but would like to keep the scalp and some of the hair !!!!.

• 2 weeks later...

I go to Azur Salon - James Philips is the BEST! They cut men's hair of couse, but I believe it is in the $30 - $35 range.

My husband has gone to Hip Clips on Mason near the new Fiesta and they do a pretty good job. I think they are in the $10-$15 range.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I was due for a cut so today went to the new place Roosters over by La Centerra.

Its not going to be for everyone but I liked it. Place was very nice and everyone was friendly.

Couple of big screens to keep you occupied and the chairs are very nice and comfortable. Was offered a drink of water, soft drink or beer while I was there. Discussed how I wanted the cut which for me isn't very fancy. But it was nice not to get buzzed like a sheep and see if they can set a land speed record for dehairifing me and getting me out of the chair.

Was offered a shave (sure it would have come with fee) but not interested. Got to lay back with my face in some nice hot towels for a bit while they washed off the excess clippings and then neck was done with cream and blade (haven't had that done in long time).

All completed with a nice dusting and some cool neck powder (No Razor Burn).

Price was $24 which I didn't mind for the service provided (heck I pay $15 and they toss me out of the chair so fast). Again it probably is not for everyone.

They have other services they provide but didn't see what they were. They do kids but not sure of the charge for kids.

And yes thank you they told me they didn't do women (lets hope is stays this way). No offense ladies but you all take to damned long and plug up a clipping joint with all your tin foil treatments, etc.

So all in all not a bad deal.

• 2 weeks later...

I tried the Rooster's across from La Centerra as well. Decent haircut and they shampoo afterwards so no loose hair down the shirt! The classic straight razor shave and facial is well worth the price of admission as well, and sipping a cold complimentary beverage while in the chair is a nice touch.

I pay $15 for my cut, without a tip. The girl who cuts my hair initially worked at supercuts, but she did such a good job, I followed her. We even became friends but then she raised the price on me after she said she wouldn't. I know it's only a few bucks but paying $15 with a tip included as opposed to almost $20 now, stinks. Anyone else ever had a similar problem? In a way, I'd like to find somewhere cheaper, but at the same time I don't want to hurt her feelings, especially since we're kind of friends.

Xpert Hair Care in the CiCi's parking lot on Mason Road. $8.95 for a mens haircut. I have been going there for probably 15 years. When you walk in there are two ladies directly in front of you - avoid them. The other five or so on the left side of the divider (you'll see what I am talking about) are good. Need names? Peter, Connie, Maria, Ning, and Mira. Peter is the most popular but the others are good too. Avoid Jenny...

Christine's Expo on Westheimer Parkway at Mason, behind the Bank of America. Its ran a young Vietnamese lady and it's pretty upscale.

Best part? 10 bucks, 12 after a tip, and it's the best hair-cut I've ever gotten. Walk-in's welcome, and they don't rush through your cut. The girl's take their time and give you a professional cut. Its very nice.

• 2 weeks later...

DV8 Salon behind Walgreens on Mason at Westheimer Parkway. $20 for a man's shampoo and cut and you can walk in or make an appointment with any of the stylists. My high school junior won't let anyone else touch his hair if that tells you anything.

I have also been going there (to Amy) for about 6 years, she is a fantastic colorist.

281 347-3888 and the address is 3522 S Mason Road.

Archived