Home At 12747 Memorial Dr.

sheeats

This cute little house built in 1957 is on Memorial Drive, right across from Town & Country Village. Unfortunate that it's on such a busy street and that the owners haven't taken care of it at all, since both of those things mean that it will probably be demolished soon. In fact, there's already a giant David Weekly sign in the front yard: "Build on your own lot!" <_< Someone will, I'm sure, since that's the popular thing to do in Memorial Bend (this house's neighborhood).

Here's the HAR link: http://search.har.com/engine/dispSearch.cf...mp;backButton=Y

Here's the exterior:

http://memorialbendarchitecture.com/12747mem.jpg

A few interior shots:

http://images-75.har.com/e1/mediadisplay/75/hr2169575-27.jpg

http://images-75.har.com/e1/mediadisplay/75/hr2169575-20.jpg

And here's the original 1958 ad for the house from the Chronicle:

http://memorialbendarchitecture.com/12747mem_hcad.jpg

Any takers? It's a great neighborhood...

• Like 1

It's a safe bet to say that house is a goner, makes me sad, love to see those original home ads. That house was not taken care of very well, those stain-glassed additions did not look right with that house design. Believe those trees are Loblolly pines. Admire them every time I pass through that area. Memorial Bend is quickly changing, what a shame. Just kills me to see that. There was a house close by the one selling, on Memorial. It had a double lot with a kidney shaped pool on it. Had it filled in, covered up in recent years. Probably sold the lot for another McMansion.

And another thing, why do they paint kitchens plain old bright white when there are so many nice neutral colors to choose from these days. Or better yet, retro blond stained cabinets or something that looks right. I'll say it again, most people don't have a clue.

Edited by NenaE

Anecdotally, I think lots fronting Memorial Drive there are a hard sell. My guess is unless someone buys the house to rehab it, it will eventually end up being a spec McMansion that will also take a long time to sell due to location.

ITA, especially the ones closer to the Beltway. That's a really tough location and the houses on that end aren't kept up at all. Anyone remember back in the day before the Beltway was built? Memorial Bend was an entirely different neighborhood back then...

Why would someone hang a painting right above a stove? :blink:

That was my first thought, too! And then I realized the pictures were taken during an estate sale. I think they were just trying to get everything out on display to get it sold. ...can you imagine the fire hazard posed by a painting directly above a stove? :lol:

This house certainly has potential... I've eyed it for quite some time. Stopped by the "estate sale" held there about a year and half ago -- lot's of junk only. Interior was not in the best of shape... new owners will have to gut it -- assuming of course they wish to restore the house. To that end this is a good candidate for such. House automatically qualifies for landmark designation as its 50 + years old. Price appears a bit high so if one could acquire it for lot value only (which it may in fact be) the house would essentially be free. Having said that, to do the restoration/renovation correctly you will require at least 120K and a minimum of 8 months of work by a qualified G.C.

As for proximity to Memorial, this is a fairly simple fix: Blown-in cellulostic insulation with double pane windows will mitigate street sound quite well. This is an appealing house that could easily be a post-war modern shining star. It's been on the market for some time so the sellers may wish to move on it given the current state of national finance.

Edited by domus48

Why would someone hang a painting right above a stove? :blink:
That was my first thought, too! And then I realized the pictures were taken during an estate sale. I think they were just trying to get everything out on display to get it sold. ...can you imagine the fire hazard posed by a painting directly above a stove? :lol:

:lol: , my thoughts exactly. What about that tree trunk thing that is laying in the kitchen. This pic was before the hurricane.

• The title was changed to Home At 12747 Memorial Dr.