Ike: Cleanup and Recovery

editor

Since the original Ike thread is so long, I thought we should have a separate thread for information about the cleanup and recovery efforts.

- CNN is reporting that power crews from as far away as California are being readied to help get the city lit up again.

- CNN is estimating that some people will be without power for a week.

Since the original Ike thread is so long, I thought we should have a separate thread for information about the cleanup and recovery efforts.

- CNN is reporting that power crews from as far away as California are being readied to help get the city lit up again.

- CNN is estimating that some people will be without power for a week.

Centerpoint said some may be w/o power for 2 or even 3 weeks.

I posted this in another topic, but Centerpoint says that the priorities for restoring power will be public works, hospitals, infrastructure, police stations etc. For residential service, the priority will be restoring the lines that serve a lot of people. It will take a while, but they are bringing in a LOT of help.

I posted this in another topic, but Centerpoint says that the priorities for restoring power will be public works, hospitals, infrastructure, police stations etc. For residential service, the priority will be restoring the lines that serve a lot of people. It will take a while, but they are bringing in a LOT of help.

That makes sense. But it's always some yokel at the far end of a cul-de-sac in the remote 'burbs who calls each of the TV stations eight times an hour complaining about HIS service still being out, so the stations send a crew and to the rest of the world it looks like the power company isn't doing its job.

Unfortunately, the squeaky wheel, etc...

USE OF GENERATORS

(Harris County, TX) The Harris County Medical Examiner is reminding everyone who is using a gas-powered generator to operate the generator outside the home and away from windows.

Operating a generator inside the home will create unhealthy levels of carbon monoxide and can cause death. Citizens are cautioned to follow the manufacturer's instructions and to be extremely careful when using gas-powered generators.

Always keep a burning candle within sight. Extinguish all candles when leaving a room or before going to sleep.

Never burn a candle on or near anything that can catch fire. Place candles away from drapes, bedding, carpets, books, paper, flammable decorations, etc.

Wow! My apartment is w/o power, been just going like a gypsy from one friend's house to another as they get power (and closer) to home. Went by my apt and I personally suffered no damage.

I took a bunch of pics and uploaded to here on Flickr and to TheHAIF group. The best of what I got,I hope to actually upload some to the system when I have time.

I'd heard rumors here at work and from my brother-in-law that FEMA is supposed to reimburse people who lost electricity and still had no power from Friday until Monday night or something like that. The payments they said ranged from $500 to $2,000 (the latter which I find hard to believe).

I have seen no information to affirm this on the FEMA website. I have seen no news to affirm this on Click2Houston.

I have seen concrete information regarding reimbursements for hotel lodging, home damage and unemployment issues once other resources were tapped.

So has anyone else heard this FEMA item regarding the electricity? And if true where can we find concrete information?

I'd heard rumors here at work and from my brother-in-law that FEMA is supposed to reimburse people who lost electricity and still had no power from Friday until Monday night or something like that. The payments they said ranged from $500 to $2,000 (the latter which I find hard to believe).

I have seen no information to affirm this on the FEMA website. I have seen no news to affirm this on Click2Houston.

I have seen concrete information regarding reimbursements for hotel lodging, home damage and unemployment issues once other resources were tapped.

So has anyone else heard this FEMA item regarding the electricity? And if true where can we find concrete information?

Is the cleanup on Galveston and Bolivar going to take like, years? It sure looks like a bomb went off down there! I wouldn't even know where to begin with picking all that crap up!

Yikes!!! :o:o:o

Heights was hit bad - I think there's a few reasons for why it took a while to start getting power back here. We just got ours tonight, not complaining at all since I know others are still without, but we are right near a hospital and an old folks home so I figure we are near the top of the line and it still took 4 days.

Anyway, the rear servitudes - I've commented how they are nice for street appearance, but when it comes to trees and hurricanes, they make it difficult to fix things. There tends to be bigger/more trees in backyards versus front yards so there is more ammo as well. And there are lots of old trees in the Heights. Combine all this, and the mess is unbelievable.

I got out Saturday morning while it was still raining and started clearing our alley so some neighbors could leave, and within a half hour ALL of the neighbors on our block were out there clearing, and by mid day we were done with all the cleanup needed. Granted we were lucky, no lines were hit. Ended up bumming our fridge power off the neighbors generator the next 2+ days, and here we are.

Just for being out of power, I don't think so. The way I understood it, is that they may pay your hotel bill if you had to leave due to no electricity, but I'm not sure.

Heights was hit bad - I think there's a few reasons for why it took a while to start getting power back here. We just got ours tonight, not complaining at all since I know others are still without, but we are right near a hospital and an old folks home so I figure we are near the top of the line and it still took 4 days.

Anyway, the rear servitudes - I've commented how they are nice for street appearance, but when it comes to trees and hurricanes, they make it difficult to fix things. There tends to be bigger/more trees in backyards versus front yards so there is more ammo as well. And there are lots of old trees in the Heights. Combine all this, and the mess is unbelievable.

I got out Saturday morning while it was still raining and started clearing our alley so some neighbors could leave, and within a half hour ALL of the neighbors on our block were out there clearing, and by mid day we were done with all the cleanup needed. Granted we were lucky, no lines were hit. Ended up bumming our fridge power off the neighbors generator the next 2+ days, and here we are.

Glad you got power. I got it early Monday morning. TMC, DT and possibly did not lose power. Could this be related to having underground wiring?

Just for being out of power, I don't think so. The way I understood it, is that they may pay your hotel bill if you had to leave due to no electricity, but I'm not sure.

This was just cleared up on the news - that is a rumor. FEMA will directly pay your hotel bill if you stay at a contracted hotel, and you can apply for reimbursement if you are at a non-contracted hotel, but ONLY if your house is unlivable, and they stressed that not having electricity does not count. It's not social services, it's disaster recovery.

This was just cleared up on the news - that is a rumor. FEMA will directly pay your hotel bill if you stay at a contracted hotel, and you can apply for reimbursement if you are at a non-contracted hotel, but ONLY if your house is unlivable, and they stressed that not having electricity does not count. It's not social services, it's disaster recovery.

Thanks for that helpful info... I was hoping FEMA might pick up our hotel, but since we were just escaping the primitive conditions of our home, I guess they probably won't. No reason they should, anyway.

Thanks for that helpful info... I was hoping FEMA might pick up our hotel, but since we were just escaping the primitive conditions of our home, I guess they probably won't. No reason they should, anyway.

I've got ice!

All the Domique Sachse lookalikes are welcome to come over for some ice.

Come and git it!!! :lol:B)

Day 5 without power. I finally heard from my boss. The office has no power and no phones so I've got the rest of the week off. To celebrate I cut and removed the downed 30 foot tree in my yard by myself...with a hand saw. I saved the trunk. I'm going to turn it into lumber and make an Ike table out of it. Who needs chainsaws!

I became a government freeloader today as well. It was too easy. While the hundreds of people stood in line up front at the POD I drove in back to the drive thru. No waiting. No getting out of the truck. Got my 2 free bags of ice and a case of water. I now own more bottled water than before the storm hit. My welfare still cost less than crunchtastic's corporate welfare though.

I still have not seen video of the hardest hit areas. Seen a few pics. Looks pretty bad. Hopefully I have some TV soon. No complaints though. Our local pols, white and Emmett, have really come through in the clutch. The state sometimes appears to be getting in the way but is doing ok. FEMA is, well, FEMA. They really need to separate it from Homeland Security so it can return to the days when it did great things.

Here's a current grid updated outage map with the restorations in green and those still out in red, the is Western Montgomery County (where I live) and eastern Grimes, they are getting close. My 83 acres are where the Black and yellow box is, they are getting close. A lot of wooded area where I am at at they are working there way towards me.

9-18resto.jpg

Here is one for the Woodlands also

9-18restow.jpg

Here's a current grid updated outage map with the restorations in green and those still out in red, the is Western Montgomery County (where I live) and eastern Grimes, they are getting close. My 83 acres are where the Black and yellow box is, they are getting close. A lot of wooded area where I am at at they are working there way towards me.

Where are you getting these maps? I'd like to see my area. Thanks.

I became a government freeloader today as well. It was too easy. While the hundreds of people stood in line up front at the POD I drove in back to the drive thru. No waiting. No getting out of the truck. Got my 2 free bags of ice and a case of water. I now own more bottled water than before the storm hit. My welfare still cost less than crunchtastic's corporate welfare though.

Ha! I am proud to report that I am a double dipper on the welfare. First my paycheck I hope to get tomorrow, and then my POD ice. After driving around for an hour looking for some to buy, I decided to stop wasting gas and cruised up to the Navigation St POD in my hood, waited for about five minutes, and drove out with 3 bags. Very efficient operation at that site. Be sure to look at your ice bags. It's getting shipped in from all over. Ours is from some seafood supplier/restaurant in Maryland. Barnacle Bill or something cheesy like that.

We cut our downed tree and the big limbs with hand saws. Builds character. Yarr.

PS. Tomorrow is Talk Like a Pirate Day. Red, any bars open in the Heights? Guess you won't be going to Galveston.

Probably the worst thing to do in a disaster is spread rumors.

Probably the worst thing to do in a disaster is spread rumors.

Guess they missed the News coverage this morning at George R Brown, with a bunch of screaming locals with their hand out wanting their $500.00 voucher, that was solely instigated by a rumor. I did find it alarming that all these people think they automatically had this coming none the less. It's not enough that people are working night and day to get help to those who can't help themselves because of physical limitation, but these people that refuse to help themselves, because they'd rather have a free ride in life, seem to get irate when they don't get what they want. The Red Cross, Salvation Army, and local food banks are empting their cofers, and vendors the H.E.B. and Kroger ( actually they are out of Cincinnati, Ohio), that are based here in Texas are donating millions to help the people of their home state. They don't have to do that. People need to think the world owes them a living.

My bad I derailed that one didn't I?

Guess they missed the News coverage this morning at George R Brown, with a bunch of screaming locals with their hand out wanting their $500.00 voucher, that was solely instigated by a rumor.

I got this note yesterday at 1:48pm from Harris County Homeland Security:

FEMA is not handing out vouchers today at the George R. Brown Convention Center. This report by a local radio station is incorrect.

I wonder which station was at fault.

Archived