Ike: Which TV stations are you watching for hurricane coverage?

editor

Pick one of the following. Don't answer "none" because that's not what the poll is about.  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Which TV stations are you watching for hurricane coverage? (Select all that apply)

• 2 KPRC-TV (NBC - Local2)
    • 11 KHOU (CBS - 11News)
    • 13 KTRK (ABC - ABC13)
    • 26 KRIV (Fox - Fox 26)
    • 39 KIAH (CW - 39 News)
    • 47 KTMD (Telemundo)
    • 45 KXLN (Univision)
    • The Weather Channel
    • CNN
    • CNN Headline News
    • Fox News Channel
    • MSNBC

I've had streaming windows open for 2, 11, and 13 for about an hour and from a visual perspective (since I can't listen to all of them at once) 13 kind of blows. It's mostly talking heads and radar. Only occasionally do they have any video, live or tape. 2 seems to have the most video, but it's usually raw and doesn't show much.

2 makes you watch an ad before you can see the disaster. 13 and 11 have the streaming video ads turned off.

I rode out the storm at my apartment in the 18th st and TC Jester area. KTRK was my primary source for hurricane coverage. Afterwards headed down to Corpus to stay with family and now watching KHOU's coverage on TXCN (Im likin' me some Lucy Noland by the way.. shes made my list of hot news chicks). Hey does anyone know if the power is back in my area? Trying to decided whether or not to head back in the morning. Thanks.

I'll see your Vanessa and raise you a Daniella.

9754346_400X300.jpg

Is Daniella still at KPRC? I haven't seen her lately.

I was in a wedding up in Bar Harbor, ME this weekend. I was glued to CNN and the Weather Channel at the Harborside Hotel and spent most of friday night texting my family members (mom, two sisters, bro-in-law, niece nephew, 5 dogs, 2 cats, and 2 birds) who were riding out the storm in the Memorial area. They lost power right around midnight and said the noises (wind and random transformer explosions) and the darkness were the worst parts.

I got back tonight and found out that local 11 (CBS) is running on DirectTV channel 361. I've been watching it for hours now since it seems that national news media has moved on and seems more interested in talking about Ike in Indiana.

Does anyone know when the local networks will go back to their regular programming?

I fashioned a TV antenna out of speaker wire which works pretty well for channel 13, and Im considering going out and buying a better over the air antenna, but I dont want to waste the money if all I get to watch is 24/7 Ike coverage.

Does anyone know when the local networks will go back to their regular programming?

I fashioned a TV antenna out of speaker wire which works pretty well for channel 13, and Im considering going out and buying a better over the air antenna, but I dont want to waste the money if all I get to watch is 24/7 Ike coverage.

Well, at least you're watching TV which means you have power. I got power back last night while sleeping. The power trucks rolled through, as well as a Ch 13 van just before dark last night. Everyone in the hood went outside cheering.

Question: Come Feb. '09 how will we pick up digital signals with 'rabbit ears'? I've got two digital TVs and neither will work. I don't recall any sort of manual antenna coming with them.

While out of power, I tuned to KRBE which was streaming KHOU. Greg Hurst's voice gets on your nerves after a while, but I still think he's hot.

Well, at least you're watching TV which means you have power. I got power back last night while sleeping. The power trucks rolled through, as well as a Ch 13 van just before dark last night. Everyone in the hood went outside cheering.

Question: Come Feb. '09 how will we pick up digital signals with 'rabbit ears'? I've got two digital TVs and neither will work. I don't recall any sort of manual antenna coming with them.

While out of power, I tuned to KRBE which was streaming KHOU. Greg Hurst's voice gets on your nerves after a while, but I still think he's hot.

Actually, my speaker wire antenna is picking up the HD broadcast. So as long as you have a digital tuner and a regular antenna, you will be fine...

You can pick up digital signals with rabbit ears no problem as long as you have a tuner capable of decoding the signal. My HDTV doesn't have a built in digital tuner so I have an external tuner for it in the form of an HD Tivo.

You can pick up digital signals with rabbit ears no problem as long as you have a tuner capable of decoding the signal. My HDTV doesn't have a built in digital tuner so I have an external tuner for it in the form of an HD Tivo.

Urgh, I'll try to remember what I was typing. I got kicked.

I think they are both digital and HD, but I'll check that tomorrow. I used a portable TV about 6" with an antenna built in to get me by.

I have to tell y'all about this Power On Board thing I got from Sam's. It's about the same size as a boombox. You can charge it from the house or the car. It will jump start a car, fill up a flat tire, blow up an air mattress, deflate an air mattress, charge a cell phone and it actually has an DC/AC converter, so you can run low wattage electrical things (two plugs). Seems like it overheated while running that little TV. A fan would activate and it would start blinking. It had no problem with things such as lamps, etc.

I rode out the storm at my apartment in the 18th st and TC Jester area. KTRK was my primary source for hurricane coverage. Afterwards headed down to Corpus to stay with family and now watching KHOU's coverage on TXCN (Im likin' me some Lucy Noland by the way.. shes made my list of hot news chicks). Hey does anyone know if the power is back in my area? Trying to decided whether or not to head back in the morning. Thanks.

Not bad. For some reason, i like the way Sally McDonald looks. She has a natural look and is cute.

Here in southern New Mexico, KHOU-TV went National and had it's own channel on Direct TV. It was channel 361 right between Fox News and the Weather Channel. We enjoyed the local coverage because it had better depth than any of the 24/7 news channels. We rarely watch anything on our local TV Stations except about 1/2 hour of news, otherwise it is CNN, Foxnews, MSNBC. Since we had power all through the hurricane coverage, it was great to have so many stations covering the event.

i only have 2 choices 11 and 13 as comcast still has no service. and i chose 11. tonight 13 drove me crazy. the first 30 minutes of the 10 PM news was art rascon wondering around bolivar. went back to 11 (someone else put it on 13).

now i wish i had ordered my uverse earlier. i was waiting to get back from a one week trip before i switched. it doesn't make sense for comcast to not have service for those who have electricity.

Just turn on Channel 2, she's looking very good, with that plain clean look, she's been their go to person for the past three days. She's in a yellow raincoat this morning at 45th and Seawall. Hang in there girl, all this will payoff for you.

• 1 year later...

Archived