Ike: Hurricane Watching

RedScare

Thought I'd start this thread for two reasons. One, to point out some new ways to keep track of things. Two, so that I may ASK about a few things.

Obviously, the local channels, the Weather Channel and most of the 24 hour news channels will be covering things for those with cable TV, satellite TV or over the air TV. I also note that most, if not all, of the local channels have live streaming video of their broadcasts on their respective websites. I haven't checked to see if the Weather Channel does this. I think not.

Of course, radio is available. Most stations will be going 24 hour coverage if they haven't already.

Now, on to other modes. I just bought a Blackberry Curve a few weeks back. I say bought, with rebates, it was free. It has internet access, but I have not played with it much. Any crackberry addicts out there with some pointers for accessing HAIF, weather channel or local TV stations if and when power goes out?

I'm a blackberry addict as well. There's nothing special; most of the websites (wunderground, chron, khou, noaa, etc.) are usable on it. HAIF has a low-bandwidth text-only mode that is usable.

But the cell network might crash except for low-bandwidth applications like SMS. So don't count on it working.

The weather underground has an awesome topical weather page designed for the iPhone. Not sure if they have one designed for the Blackberry but the iPhone one is http://i.wund.com/ or http://i.wund.com/auto/iphone/tropical/

You might want to try m.wund.com for the general mobile site but it wont look as good as the iPhone site does. :)

I'm a blackberry addict as well. There's nothing special; most of the websites (wunderground, chron, khou, noaa, etc.) are usable on it. HAIF has a low-bandwidth text-only mode that is usable.

But the cell network might crash except for low-bandwidth applications like SMS. So don't count on it working.

I think the cell system would withstand the storm better than landlines. I understand that I can hook the phone up to my computer to function as a wireless network, as well. Has anyone tried that?

I am actually very annoyed with DirecTV. I used to have a HD box and dish that did not pick up all of the HD channels. It had a connection for an over the air antenna, so I had both DirecTV and regular reception. They clled a few months back and upgraded my dish and box, but now I cannot get over the air reception. I will now have to get a 2nd TV or something in order to get over the air. Nothing pisses me off more than high technology that forces me to rely solely on that technology. When DirecTV goes out...and IT WILL...I will have no TV. And, ONLY because they refuse to put that extra TV jack on the back of the box. :angry:

The weather underground has an awesome topical weather page designed for the iPhone. Not sure if they have one designed for the Blackberry but the iPhone one is http://i.wund.com/ or http://i.wund.com/auto/iphone/tropical/

You might want to try m.wund.com for the general mobile site but it wont look as good as the iPhone site does. :)

Thanks, Jax. It shows up on Blackberry, too.

I think the cell system would withstand the storm better than landlines. I understand that I can hook the phone up to my computer to function as a wireless network, as well. Has anyone tried that?

I haven't done it with your specific model, but I've tethered my Powerbook to various SonyEricsson phones via Bluetooth for GPRS data, and I've tethered my MacBook Pro to my iPhone via wifi for EDGE data.

Getting it to work just right can be difficult depending on what brands, models, and versions you're trying to mate. Google a web site called Howard Forums for help if you need it.

I haven't done it with your specific model, but I've tethered my Powerbook to various SonyEricsson phones via Bluetooth for GPRS data, and I've tethered my MacBook Pro to my iPhone via wifi for EDGE data.

Getting it to work just right can be difficult depending on what brands, models, and versions you're trying to mate. Google a web site called Howard Forums for help if you need it.

What kind of download speed do you get? I have Verizon service, and all I will be doing is HAIFing and visiting the weather sites. Maybe an occasional live stream from a local TV site.

What kind of download speed do you get? I have Verizon service, and all I will be doing is HAIFing and visiting the weather sites. Maybe an occasional live stream from a local TV site.

With the GPRS connection it was about 43k down and 13k up (not sure why I remember that), so slightly slower than a 56k modem.

I never speedtested the EDGE, but whatever data speed you normally get out of your Blackberry is what you should experience on your computer. It's not broadband, but it's better than nothing.

Here's some HAIF options:

Diet HAIF

HAIF:Now

Here's the one I use for Weather Underground when I'm not using the iPhone version:

http://mobile.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/fin...ast?query=77002

Seriously, though -- the iPhone version of Weather Underground is fantastic. There's only one in that some of the maps aren't zoomable, but hopefully they'll fix that in an update since it's just a viewport setting.

Not to make light of the situation, but since this is a technology thread...

I never thought I'd see the HAIF traffic meter reach "Mass Hysteria/Epic Fail"

gallery_1_86_10084.jpg

I thought I designed the thing so that would never happen, but I guess Ike is smarter than me.

Archived