Sign in to follow this  
tmariar

Hurricane Ike - Location/People Coordination

My cousin has an old apartment in Rice Village (it doesn't even have grounded plugs!) but isn't leaving. (We've offered for him, my/his other cousin, and any number of friends to crash at our pad during Ike). Is him not leaving a bad idea?

He's not in an evacuation zone, and so the city is recommending he stay put and let those to the south evacuate.

Just wanted all to know we will be staying with my Mother. If things get bad, we may have a call chain from Crunch and Music to people northbound to try to find dry land!

Thanks all. Be safe. Stay dry. Pray if it's your thing. Send good thoughts if prayer isn't your thing. But know that there are oodles of people on this board thinking of all of you.

God Bless You,

PapillionWyngs

Are you guys heading toward College Station?

The B/CS area will get storms and such, but there's plenty of free shelters. CSISD's shelters, for instance.

College Station Middle School, the first school shelter, will be accessible if you exit Highway 6 at Rock Prairie Road. Keep going left, school will be on left.

If that's full, then go to A&M Consolidated Middle School by continuing toward Wellborn Rd. from SH-6, turn right on George Bush Dr., and turn right on Anderson. School should be on right.

If THAT'S full, then you'll have to go back to the high school by continuing on Anderson, turning RIGHT on Holleman, left on Welsh, and left into the parking lot. Also, near AMCHS is a church that is also set up as a shelter. Hope this helps if any of you need help!!

MONTROSE - area bounded by Richmond/Dunlavy/W Alabama/Shepherd

Looks like we're going to stay put - if anyone needs some assistance, PM me. As of now, we've got plenty of food and water, but lacking on booze

Anybody near this area have a super tall ladder I can borrow tomorrow a.m.? I've got a south facing blind dormer that is about 1" open that would probably be nice to close. Well, I'd either need a tall ladder or someone who is great at climbing on a roof

Edit: I can pay with booze...or maybe even cash?

Edited by OkieEric

We'll be rocking in Woodland Heights. I'm sure we'll loose power, but we have plenty of coolers and ice, planning on getting the smoker going on Sunday after IKE is hopefully long gone. Anyone interested in ribs, chicken, salmon, and pork chops, let me know. Also have a few coors lights handy.......

Anybody near this area have a super tall ladder I can borrow tomorrow a.m.? I've got a south facing blind dormer that is about 1" open that would probably be nice to close. Well, I'd either need a tall ladder or someone who is great at climbing on a roof

Edit: I can pay with booze...or maybe even cash?

Depends on what super tall is. I've got a 20 footer.

Sorry - just checking back in. I may have a tall ladder in my garage, which I have a hard time opening. I did a few months ago, and I assume it's still there. I think it's about 20'. One of those metal ones in two parts that slides. I'm in the same Heights area as RedScare, so can be a back-up option.

We'll be rocking in Woodland Heights. I'm sure we'll loose power, but we have plenty of coolers and ice, planning on getting the smoker going on Sunday after IKE is hopefully long gone. Anyone interested in ribs, chicken, salmon, and pork chops, let me know. Also have a few coors lights handy.......

I will ck back on this after the storm

Thanks, guys...but I have a 20'er, and I don't even think it will reach. Sort of a weird angle, unless you are at ease climbing on the roof somewhere else. I'm not going to worry about it unless Ike gets > Cat 2. I'm just going to hope that a small opening there isn't enough to get my dormer sucked off the roof :) houstonhidefromthewind.org (or whatever it is) is only calling for 69 mph winds at present - and I have complete confidence in that :blush:

Thanks, guys...but I have a 20'er, and I don't even think it will reach. Sort of a weird angle, unless you are at ease climbing on the roof somewhere else. I'm not going to worry about it unless Ike gets > Cat 2. I'm just going to hope that a small opening there isn't enough to get my dormer sucked off the roof :) houstonhidefromthewind.org (or whatever it is) is only calling for 69 mph winds at present - and I have complete confidence in that :blush:

I don't think my ladder is bigger than 20' - I got it home from Home Depot in my convertible with only minor havoc on Yale. I'll check with my Montrose friends tomorrow, but I doubt they have anything bigger. I'm not boarding my windows (inept and lazy), so I can at least offer you moral support.